We just got back from several days of sailing from June 8-17. It was wonderful as usual though seemed like we had a lot more wind than we usually see in June and certainly a lot more boats out and about.

A couple of stories to amuse you. One is scary the other just plane out of the twilight zone. So scary story first.

Tuesday was our last night there before returning the boat back to CYOA on wednesday. So we first picked up a mooring in Maho bay on St. John. I thought it was just swell - sheltered from both wind and wave. But the admiral wants to be in Cinnamon bay so we only stayed there a couple of hours before dropping the ball and skipping over one bay. So we have the boat pointed into Cinnamon bay. We're probably 200 yards off of the mooring field which are probably 100 yards off of shore. I've got the admiral and my youngest girl (11) on the bow getting ready. We're of course motoring and going prudently slow. The girl and I have the headsets on. Then she screams "Swimmer swimmer swimmer!!!!!!". Now this is a kid that gets a bit excited about just about everything so I had no idea what that meant, i.e., where was the swimmer - on the beach or ??? Then I see him. He's twenty feet just off the starboard bow 90 degrees to our path on a collision course. He's wearing a black snorkel and mask with his head in the water doing a slow crawl. I slam the boat into reverse and avoid hitting him with three feet to spare. The guy looks up and says "sorry". The admiral never saw him until we stopped the boat. Sure glad the kid was on the bow! About scared the P out of me. Which ten minutes later I was kind of mad and wanted to punch the guy.

Now for the kind of freaky weird story. As I said we had been in Maho bay for a couple of hours. After we flew back home on wednesday my wife is catching up on the Facebook thing and comes across a posting from a neighbor a couple of streets over from where we live with a picture titled "beautiful sunset on Maho bay". Had no idea they were on St. Johns. My wife starts to look at their pictures. And they look an awful lot like her own sunset pictures from tuesday. So she looks at more of their pictures. Sure enough.... pictures from the same day. And drumroll here..... they have pictures of the bay earlier in the day with our boat in it! Small world or what?

Always something exciting when you're out sailing!

Life's short - sail more!