sail2wind said:
however the OP clearly stated they were in Cinnamon Bay getting a mooring ball, that is not in open water.

Actually I said we had the boat pointed into Cinnamon Bay. You can point a boat into a bay from a very long ways out. And I guess I don't understand why this is so important to you. I indicated in my follow up message that the swimmer was well outside the bay in what I would consider "open water". Why can't we take that at face value instead of trying the change the story? Were you there? It seems you are trying hard to make it into a speeding boat inside a swim area story or some hot head running around beating people up instead of what it really was. And in any case I was not trying to assign blame to the swimmer. I indicated it made me angry afterwards and that's what you seem to be most hung up on. Why was I angry with the swimmer? It was not because I thought the swimmer was in the wrong and I was in the right. But rather a reaction from an adrenalin rush from a scary situation where I thought the swimmer had acted irresponsibly in a way that could have resulted in injury. And that would have been a horrible thing - irrespective of who was at fault. I had 2 people as lookouts on the bow. I was scanning the area. But the fact that the swimmer was way outside the area any spotter/helmsman would be looking, wearing black and lying low in the water with very little movement made him very very difficult to spot.

Having said all that it seems you are really missing the point so either I'm not writing the story very well or you are reading it in a way it was not intended. My point was that it's probably not possible to be too careful out there sailing/motoring. And the same goes for swimming - make sure the boat sees you! So be vigilant or scary things might happen. And even if you are vigilant scary things can happen. And that's all I was saying. So please lets stop changing the story.

Life's short - sail more!