jp, will try to find out more about licensing and let you know if I do. My Greek BIL/niece/nephew all hold captains licenses (bareboat) for Greece, they may have some insight. We sailed the Cyclades several years back, we had an "in" with Kiriacoulis thru my BIL; the license issue was not an issue. I suspect many of the outfits have a way around it if you ask them. I'll try to find out more.

I'll say one thing; med-mooring to the quay and walking right across the street to the taverna is way different than the BVI! I kinda liked it - my wife is Greek so I had a translator available. Actually, most of the younger generation speaks English and true sailors can get buy with hand signals.

Sunny, I understand your reservations. I'll ask my BIL about how small businesses are dealing with the banking restrictions (he's an economics professor at Piraeus University) in Athens. I don't know how they do it but most seem to be staying in business. The current situation in Greece is going to affect the Greek people a lot but for outside tourist, not so much.

I know I'm coming off like a Greek cheerleader, and they could sure use the tourist dollars but my first BVI trip was right after 911. Flights were cheap, charters were discounted and we had a wonderful time. Don't believe everything you see in the news and try to take advantage of opportunities when they show up. My sig line is about taking prudent risks - still trying to get the Admiral to let us do some sailing next year when we visit her family again.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!