Rick,

I have made the trip over to the SVI many times over the years and it is fairly simple and straight forward. I have been sailing for over 40 years but I admit that my first time I was a little nervous. I found that the Imray charts were right on the money. When I go over from the BVI, I usually overnight in Flamingo Bay, Water Island. Get a civilized start in the morning and head directly for Sail Rock keeping it to starboard then direct to the south east end of Culebra. Up along the shore and into a well marked Dakity Bay by two pm. Dakity is very nice spot inside the reef and you can take your dink in to Dewey if you must go to C&I. Incidently, you can get a sticker from Homeland Security over the internet which will avoid having to personally appear. Just a phone call upon arrival. Once you have made the passage you will be amazed at how simple it really is.

As to the way back east, depends on the weather as usual. If it is a bit boisterous, I agree with Warren460. Go down to St. Croix and then due north to STT. Yes it is a bit further but St. Croix is interesting if you have never been there and it is far better than beating your brains in for 6 or 7 hours coming straight back. If I can be of any help, pm me at your convenience.