You were not taken as far as converting Euro to Dollar; 1:1 is not the norm, it's the exception. That said, the conversion rate was extremely high: 1 Euro to $1.36. I haven't checked lately, but it was under $1.20 recently. I always have our meals on the French side put on the credit card in Euros, so that I get the current conversion rate.

However, I'm very upset to hear that my favorite restaurant on Orient would stamp, "service not included" on their check, as that is NOT true. Service is always included on the French side, unless the MENU clearly states otherwise. That way you know what you're paying before you order. Now if they told you the TIP wasn't included, that's correct. Tip is a small amount, usually a couple of Euros.

I'll find out exactly what they're doing for myself next month. I do know that Kakao has changed ownership since I was last there. We have never experienced anything like that in the past ten plus years of going there multiple times each trip, and I'd hate to have to stop going there, but if they are playing that game, I will.