Have been to the SVI three times, and the BVI probably a dozen or more.

I really like the SVI.

One man's pro is another man's con, so it's hard to tell you how you'd like a place.

The SVI is significantly less developed. There are a few mooring balls, but not many, and you'll be anchoring a lot. There's only one place to pull up to a dock and get fuel and water - Marina Puerto Del Rey in Fajardo.

It is not crowded. Many times we'll be the only boat in the anchorage after the day-trippers leave. If you pick your anchorages with an eye to the weather you should find them snug. A cat gives you more flexibility... for example I will anchor in Bayo Flamenco on the north side of Culebra in a cat, but you'd be thrashed to death in a monohull.

The diving around the south side of Culebra in the Marine Reserve is really nice. Taz and Ann at Aquatic Adventures (515-290-2310) can set you up.

There are not many real "beach bars" like, for example, the Soggy Dollar Bar. Better to fill your cooler with beer/etc. and bring your own party.

There are relatively short distances between anchorages, but a little farther than the BVI.

There are far more bars and restaurants in the BVI.

There are some nice places to eat in Dewey, Culebra, and also in Esperanza, Vieques. Del Rey is huge and very much like the US/Miami.

For me, the charm of the SVI is finding your own anchorage with no other boats and hitting the beach for a lazy afternoon of splashing and exploring.

Hope that helps.