Knotthead said:
We have used the 10am ferry from west end 5 times in the last year and each time have made it to St Thomas before 12, usually arriving just after 11 am. Native Son has been very consistent and their large ferry is a great boat compared to the Bomba Charger. We have never gone to airport 3 hours before flight and nobody at American has mentioned that. Normally through all the lines and checks at the airport in less than an hour. Going back this Saturday and I have my fingers crossed that my luck will hold up.

5 times is in no way a reasonable data sample when it comes to 365 days. The 3 hours is a recommendation considering all 365 days and all levels of passengers.

When you show up at the airport you are racing a computer clock set by security level far away from the airport. In very general terms that clock for checked bags closes at 60 minutes before scheduled flight time. Depending on the global security level of the day that clock will change. If you are not checked in when the clock crosses the time limit you will not check in for that flight. If you do not have baggage tags printed you will not get them. If you bag is not checked in it will not be accepted.

Hence the warning or guidance to get there three hours in advance. On a big day leaving the island you may arrive at the airport to a line to check in, get a baggage claim printed, or simply turn a bag in. Worse case you may need all that time to get to the front of the line. One threat change from somewhere else in the world and the clocks reset and the time in line changes. “Past performance does not guarantee future results.” There is no way to know in advance and the true security people do not want you to know what all their battle plans are. If it is important to make your planes that day. I would get their early.