Thanks for letting us know Jeff. I have a soft spot in my heart for Bill from back in the day when he used to call me late at night to ask questions about this place or that. He was always attempting to answer some question on TTOL and needed up-to-date info.

He truly tried his best to help. He could be acerbic and a little testy at times and he knew it. I was at the Jolly Roger one night when he asked me if I thought he was too quick to shut down threads that he felt were getting out of hand. I told him yes, I did think he could be a bit heavy handed from time to time ... but so what?

I (and many, many others) weren't willing to be a moderator, so to heck with anyone who criticized. Being a forum moderator is one of the most thankless volunteer positions in the world. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! I mean really, how many regular users here would be prepared to give up so much of their free time to be a moderator?

I told him that I for one greatly appreciated all his efforts, even though I may not always agree with his moderating style. I bought him a drink, we dropped that conversation and we both went back to our respective tables.

Later that night, Di told me I had hurt his feelings. I felt terrible. I went over to him, sat down and told him that I was never known to be particularly diplomatic and I figured if anyone would appreciate forthrightness, I thought he would. After explaining how much I personally appreciated his contributions over the years, I think he felt a little better. I won't get into what prompted the question in the first place, but I think he was hoping for a different answer from me.

Bill's contribution to TTOL was invaluable and he helped a great many people over the years, as did Jeff, Dan and a few others. He gave an inordinate amount of time to this community and I know he went out of his way to find answers for folks. If he didn't know something himself, he would call someone he thought would know. I can't imagine how outrageous his phone bills must have been back then!

So I will raise a glass to Bill and thank him one last time for all his efforts. Fair winds, following seas and long may your jib draw, my friend. I'll look you up when I get there! [/quote]