Carol_Hill said:
Actually, on most credit cards, you have ZERO liability for fraudulent use. Most cards, that's part of their cc agreement these days. DEBIT cards could be a problem, but for credit cards, the issue isn't liability for fraud, so much as if you are out of town and only took one credit card and it gets hacked and they cut off the card, you will not be able to charge anything.

+1 on that! My free advice. Get a good AMEX, Visa, or Mastercard from a reputable bank that encourages global travel and use by not charging any fees on international purchases. There should not be any liability for a US citizen whose card is used fraudulently. Good Luck if them money "disappears" from most pre paid cards. I would start by visiting your personal bank to learn your options or calling American Express directly to understand the plans you are on and the options available to you. Flame me all you want. I travel to all areas of the globe and have never experienced a loss of funds or credit to me. Our cards did get hijacked when Target had their problems. The result one family member's card did not work on arrival in the BVI. Target and the card issuer uncovered the problem themselves and we never saw a monetary cost to us. We were materially overcharged for some reason at a Bequia beach bar. The actual charge far exceeded the crumpled receipt. One telephone call to the reputable credit card company and the amount was credited without issue. Make sure you understand the terms of your credit cards and consider traveling with cards on at least two networks in case one of the networks or cards turns up with issues. If it ever gets nasty AMEX or your own bank where you have a relationship will be best to resolve it for the card holder.