I'm really kind of confused, as to why you would be interested in either an a/i OR a villa rental, as they are such totally different animals... Unless you are looking at Shore Point, or whatever the heck it's called at Maho, which is supposed to be a 'deluxe' a/i. A/I's have a definite place in the world, but my personal perception is that 'place' is NOT on SXM, unless you are using it as a place to sleep and maybe eat breakfast and have some all inclusive drinks, and you get a good price on it. Many places other than SXM are better 'fits' for a/i, places where it is difficult to drive, or there aren't a lot of places to eat that cater to a more touristy palate, or places where frankly it is just really cheap to go there if you do a/i and all you want to do is eat (usually) buffet food, hang out on the beach and drink.

My perception of a villa vacation would be someplace where you have your own private pool, away from the hubbub of life, which is what you will more likely find at an a/i.

With regard to your original question, if you want a true VILLA, ON the beach, there are truly not that many of those on SXM and you will pay a pretty penny for them. Many places on SXM are called "Villas" though, when an American would more properly call them "townhouses" or "condos". There are a fair number of THOSE on island, ON a beach and those can be had for a reasonable cost. An example is my favorite place on earth Beachside Villas. www.Beachsidevillas.com They are what we would call townhouses, all 2 or 3 bedrooms, on a marvelous stretch of Simpson Bay Beach. They are NOT deluxe, in the manner of there are no granite countertops, etc., but the decoration is Caribbean casual and suits OUR needs perfectly. Your mileage may vary.

Carol Hill