You might call HA customer service and ask how long direct contact will remain in effect. Those who have done so have been told through 2016 - no promises beyond that. HA is using "analytics" to determine "service fees" they are missing through "leakage" (think that's their term); i.e., owners using direct contact to encourage guests to book outside the system and avoid the fee.

You should disabuse yourself of the notion that VRBO's changes are to benefit you or your guests. They aren't. They are to increase the "take rate" and pay off the $3.9 Billion!

Of course no contact doesn't work for higher-end properties in special places. On Great Camanoe, our houses come with a boat and car. Who is going to rent to someone without asking "Tell me about your motor boating experience" or checking to see if they have drunk driving convictions? Not many, at least not the prudent ones!

There are distinct differences between HA and AirBNB properties. Rather than taking advantage of that, HA seems to want to emulate ABB and their success. As I said before, owners need to prepare for a future where they are not dependent on HA.