Member Spotlight
Steve27
Steve27
Hilton Head, SC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Instigator, WWII, CanuckTravlr, nevar37, SXMScubaman, 1 invisible), 566 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
June 17-24 Honeymoon trip report #101379
06/26/2016 01:44 PM
06/26/2016 01:44 PM
FL/NC
F
FLMarine Offline OP
Traveler
FLMarine  Offline OP
Traveler
F
FL/NC
We had a great Honeymoon!!!! Trip was 17-24 June with a Moorings 393 PC perfectly named “Mr Tip Sea”. My Wife wanted me to surprise her with the honeymoon so I did. I had her best friends from college who are married join us. Score two for my plan, she loved the trip and that I would have her friends come along.

We flew into STT and spent the night at Emerald Beach Resort, which was ok for one night if you get in late. Got on the fast ferry over to Road Town and did the shopping at Rite Way, got a sim card for my mifi, and got a room at the Mariner Inn. I added an extra day in just incase of travel delays and having some relaxing time at the pool with the wife.

I brought along all the meat and cheeses in a cooler, which was nice because I didn’t have to worry about the store not having what we wanted. Our friends flight got delayed so we had to wait around until about 4pm before we got to get underway. Once underway we went directly to the Bight on Norman for grilled burgers aboard and Willie T’s afterwards. Great night and we even got a quick snorkeling at the caves in before dinner.

Next day went to Salt Island and snorkeled the Rhone and got sea glass at the salt ponds. Continued onto Cooper Island then went to dinner ashore. Great dinner and a cool place. Went for a glorious night swim with the lights of Tortola and the stars shining above us.

Went to Levereck Bay the next morning and spent the night on the dock. Rented a car through Nick (thanks for setting everything up) and explored Virgin Gorda and the Baths in the morning. Had lunch at Hog Heaven and it was a favorite. Who doesn’t love great BBQ in a nice shack on the side of a mountain. GO AND EAT THERE, you won’t be disappointed.

Headed over to Saba Rock and had a great happy hour and nice grilled chicken with Mango Salsa back on the boat that I cooked.

Got up at 5:45am had coffee and headed up to Anegada to beat the wind and waves. Great choice because it wasn’t a bad ride up and we pulled into the harbor by about 8:30am. Went ashore, rented scooters, and went to Lolloboly Bay. Went to dinner at Wonky Dog in the evening. Sat down, got wine, and the pre ordered dinner came out right away. I ordered the Jerk seasoned lobster with the mango chutney, my wife got a half grilled lobster, and our friends got the lobster Rockefeller. It was without a doubt the best meal of my life and that includes having a steak after eating MRE’s for four months straight in Afghanistan. Both my wife and our friends who have been wined and dined all over the country for their jobs all said it was in the top 2 meals they had ever had. Next time down to the BVI I will plan for two days in Anegada so I can eat at Wonky Dog twice.

Got up early again and went straight to Sandy Spit where I cooked egg and steak burritos for breakfast followed by a trip to Soggy Dollar Bar. Went over to CGB, had drinks ashore, and cooked up tenderloin steaks and grilled potatoes.

Woke up early again and went to Soppers Hole to drop our friends off at the ferry so they could head home after a breakfast ashore. Wife and I planned to do Cooper Island again, but it was pretty rough so we went over to Norman Island instead and had dinner at Pirates ashore. It was a perfect last night romantic dinner at sunset.

Returned the boat at 9am at the Moorings and after about 120 miles of cruising and 8-10 hours of generator use a day we only burned 70 gallons of diesel.

It was a great honeymoon, and we are both very happy we went to the BVI. We plan to go back to the BVI in 3-4 years as a graduation present to my Step kids when they graduate high school. They both knew about the surprise honeymoon and wanted to come along. So I promised them a trip in the future.

Some things we figured out. We would have taken an earlier flight and done an evening start so we could have done the shopping and set everything up on the boat so we could get an early start in the am. We did a decent job planning on food and booze, but we would have bought more vodka and ting since that turned out to be the favorite drink. I made a very detailed meal plan then worked backwards for the ingredients needed for each meal. It all worked out well and we had just a little left over food at the end. Less clothes and less luggage. We ended up wearing about the same three outfits the entire time, but then again I couldn’t have told her exactly how to dress otherwise she would have known what we were doing.

Thanks to everyone on here for helping give me info on planning and where to go for the trip. Please feel free to ask me any questions on the trip or advice.

BVI Sponsors
Re: June 17-24 Honeymoon trip report [Re: FLMarine] #101380
06/27/2016 08:10 AM
06/27/2016 08:10 AM
Oklahoma
LivinLarge Offline
Traveler
LivinLarge  Offline
Traveler
Oklahoma
Glad you had a grand time !!! and congratulations !!!

Allan
Re: June 17-24 Honeymoon trip report [Re: LivinLarge] #101381
06/27/2016 11:55 AM
06/27/2016 11:55 AM
Virginia
B
BVIShuga Offline
Traveler
BVIShuga  Offline
Traveler
B
Virginia
Congrats! Sounds like the perfect honeymoon!

Love sailing the BVI's with friends.
Re: June 17-24 Honeymoon trip report [Re: FLMarine] #101382
06/27/2016 06:05 PM
06/27/2016 06:05 PM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline
Traveler
toast  Offline
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
Congrats

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Re: June 17-24 Honeymoon trip report [Re: toast] #101383
06/27/2016 09:38 PM
06/27/2016 09:38 PM
T
twoplates Offline
Traveler
twoplates  Offline
Traveler
T
Vodka and Ting! I think I will try that one, thanks!