Tried to start a real trip report, but do not have the organisational skills. Some assorted observations:<br>Bad weather - rained almost all day, many days. <br>Took our first day trip to Anguilla. Started out promising, but the water was rough at Shoal Bay East, so no snorkling. By 2:00 it was windy and rainy so we headed back to ferry. Glad we went though, because I wanted to see Anguilla, but probably won't go again. The beach at Shoal Bay was very nice, water warmer than SXM for some reason, the sand gorgeous and very clean (I don't like waking on cigarette butts) However, we went to Mullet a few days later, and it compares very favorably with Shoal Bay East, especially if you walk down the beach away from the busiest section..<br>Meals for us consist of alot of champagne, bread, cheese and pate on the terrace of the villa. Every year there are excellent buys on champagne, especially at Match. This year the "promotion" was Moet Imperial Brut, for about $19.00, plus it included a reusable insulated cloth bag. Also Laurent-Perrier and Piper-Heidsick were on sale, with Louis Roederer at Food Center. We avoid buying still wine on SXM, do not recognize the french names, so buy mainly champagne unless at a restaurant.<br>Restaurant dinners included Auberge Gourmand - I enjoyed the lamb in herb sauce, but my husband didn't care too much for his Dover Sole. He did like the warm goat cheese salad, I had a scallop appetiser that was pretty good and we both thought the creme brulle was one of the best. The waiter (owner?) recommended an inexpensive white wine that was quite good. Tab was about $100 plus tip. We informed him (truthfully) it was our 20th anniversary so he treated us to glasses of champagne on the house . Piccalo (spelling?) always a favorite. Duck rolls, sea bass, lobster ravioli, chicken quessidillas (spelling again!) one shared dessert and a carafs of house wine, $59 plus tip. Sol e Luna - excellent. Mussle/calimari salad and "crispy snapper" for me, crabmeat and avocado appetizer and a canneloni-type entree for him, a bottle of Joseph Drouhin poinot noir and one shared creme brulle (this not as good as Auberge) $70 plus tip. Also good ribs at Talk of the Town. <br>During the precious few sunny days, Orient around Club O nice as ever, and got in some some snorkling. Cupecoy around the short dead-end road was devoid of sand - used to be my favorite. Loved the day we spent on Mullet, just the right amount of rolling waves to bob up and down and watch planes land.<br>Driving was awful - we had several close calls, with vehicles passing on blind hills and curves.<br>Spent the first week in a "villa" in Grand Case mentioned some months ago on this board. It had its good points, mainly being right on the beach - but over all would not recommend it. Second week at Orient Bay Hotel, where we got a nice villa with panoramic view.<br>used a car rental company called Sanaco - it was part of the agreement to rent the Grand case Villa - price was reasonable, car was fine, and they met us as agreed both coming and going. <br>Flight from SXM was fairly empty, poilte agents searched our checked bags, and a very thorough search was made of our carry ons and our persons. Miami customs was a zoo, as flights from Haiti and other locals converged. They said our bags would be on one carrosel, but we waited and waited. Turned out the bags were off-loaded and set aside a few carrosels over - no announcement! Finally to our gate for DCA - armed guards arround the gate lent a chilling note. But thankfully we got home safely.<br>Board honchos - how can I do a spell check?<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 1/4/02 12:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>