Member Spotlight
320sycamore
320sycamore
Massachusetts
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Marc1000
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (lbksxm, fabila, jaxon60, Travel Talker, PML, GaryC, MikeBiondo, SXMScubaman, MichaelBiondo, jazzgal, mahokid, marybeth, onlymedication, jeepers, Pitz, JeanneB, MNsnowbird, Billtjw, 5 invisible), 781 guests, and 71 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SUNSAIL vs HORIZON YACTH CHARTERS #103144
07/18/2016 09:36 AM
07/18/2016 09:36 AM
L
Lakaes Offline OP
Lakaes  Offline OP
L
Hi! Last year I've chartered with HYC and in 20 days (can't wait) will be down there again but this time with Sunsail.
What should I expect? How is their customer service? Any tips for the first night at the Marina?
By the way I've been reading for the last year and this is my first post. I would like to thank you all for the good ideas, tips and guidance!
Take care!

BVI Sponsors
Re: SUNSAIL vs HORIZON YACTH CHARTERS [Re: Lakaes] #103145
07/18/2016 06:35 PM
07/18/2016 06:35 PM
Kansas
captmoby Offline
Traveler
captmoby  Offline
Traveler
Kansas
At this point what difference does it make? You are already booked. Maybe you could let us all know the differences when you return?

Jim
Sailmoby II
Re: SUNSAIL vs HORIZON YACTH CHARTERS [Re: captmoby] #103146
07/18/2016 08:36 PM
07/18/2016 08:36 PM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Moorings/Sunsail is a nice facility. Take Patience when checking in and out, you're on island time! Great shower facilities. Use em right at end of trip. Go to Riteway first night and or next am. You can walk there, cab back.

We've always had great boat briefings, don't be afraid to ask questions.... If you have a first mate, both of you should participate. Learn the breakers, A/C, windless details, etc. of your boat..

Patience...and enjoy!

JPH
I spent my money on booze, broads, and boats...the rest I wasted.
Re: SUNSAIL vs HORIZON YACTH CHARTERS [Re: jphart] #103147
07/18/2016 11:00 PM
07/18/2016 11:00 PM
S
sailingbvi15 Offline
sailingbvi15  Offline
S

we have been chartering with the Moorings and Sunsail for 30 years. They have changed, and we have found that we have many descripencies on the Moorings vessels the we personally noted. So , we started using Sunsail more, but their prices are far to high. Just Erica and I sailing the 36i. In fact years ago I was organizing and booking, and doing pre- crusie meetings, for our sailing club's flotillas with the Mooring and Sunsail in the Caribbean and the South Pacific.

What I like about the mooring marina, and our arrival day.
We always stayed the first night in the mariner inn hotel, in the marina next to the pool. Never had a problem with check in, and we would get our room key, change into board shorts, swimsuit, and head for the pool and our first Pain Killers.

Also, dinner that first night, and our last night would be at Charlies, at the far left end of the marina slips. The best meals and ambiance on Tortola . Really nice.

Last year we went with Conch Charters, Road Harbor. Not a corporation, hubby and wife, and great staff. The boat was in good shape, and we had such good sailing, that after two weeks, we topped back of with only 7 Gals. of fuel. Mostly used to charge the batteries.

I have no experience with Horizon, but we really like Conch.
We were out of the docks by about 11 am, and on our way over to Norman Island, and a fun time on the Willy T.

We loaded all of our provisions the previous night, and had our chart brief the day before. We stayed two nights at the Fort Burt Hotel..The first day we just de jet lagged, swam in the pool, walked to rite way, and loaded all of our provisions on board and totally stowed the night before we departed. That previous day we also had our chart brief, so departure day all we had was the systems check out.

We ahd fun dinners out, and spent some easy time at the dockside restaurant and bar.

Anway, that is how we did it, and save over $ 2000.00 compared to Sunsail. That was over all costs. We have already booked out may 2017 bare boat charter with Conch and very much looking forward to our 15th, BVI sailing vacation.

After all the years, that is how we handled the BVI sailing, and getting on BVI time . Others have totally different procedures that fit their own personal sailing life styles.

Re: SUNSAIL vs HORIZON YACTH CHARTERS [Re: Lakaes] #103148
07/19/2016 05:42 AM
07/19/2016 05:42 AM
Memphis, TN
beerMe Offline
Traveler
beerMe  Offline
Traveler
Memphis, TN
We've gone with HYC twice and Sunsail once. I usually price shop and tend to pick the smaller outfits because of that but I must admit that we both liked the facilities at Mooring/Sunsail but we like both outfits. I do think that Nanny Cay tends to be warm (little wind) if you're doing a sleep aboard the first night.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!