Day 7 Regenburg (or Straubing) and Kelheim
Friday, September 4 18C/64C Chance of Rain 80%

Good news, we docked in Regensburg as in Plan A. Bad news was that it started raining as soon as we left the ship. Fortunately, it stopped as soon as we started our walking tour which was moved up to 9:30 instead of 10AM. The rain did not start again until later in the day.

Once again we had an outstanding guide, Stephanie, an art historian. We arrived at the Rathaus (city hall) just in time to see several wedding parties either leaving or arriving for the Civil Ceremony required in Germany. Regensburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was quite lovely. After our guided tour we walked around on our own and then headed back to the ship for lunch.

After lunch we took our second optional, extra cost excursion to the Danube Gorge and the Weltenburg Abbey and Bier Garten (Beer Garden). The boat to the abbey was very crowded as was the abbey when we first arrived. We got separated from our guide and even with the receivers on we had trouble finding him. The abbey was once again a spectacular example of the baroque style. Eventually the abbey cleared out and the guide from the other bus gave us a very informative, detailed narrative about the building and the history of the abbey.

Fortunately, it was not the guide from our bus. He was terrible and very hard to follow because he would say a few words in English then spend a long time trying to remember the next word. By the time he remembered, we were long past whatever he was talking about.

After the lecture, we were free to walk around or stop and have a beer that the monks at the abbey produce. There really wasn’t that much time until we had to get back to the buses.

We were given conflicting information as to where to meet and how to get to the buses. When our group didn’t see any familiar faces, we decided to walk in the direction that our program manager had indicated for the buses. Again, we were told it was just a short walk. By now we had caught up with quite a few other people from our cruise all of us wondering if we were going to the right place because we walked, and walked, and walked some more. By the time we got back on the bus it was pouring.

The ship was to meet us in Kelheim after going through a lock. We drove to the Freedom Memorial erected by Ludwig I, and had a beautiful, but rainy view down into the gorge. I said that I thought the ship had been delayed, and they we just killing time. We then drove to the area where we were to meet the ship. It was not there. We drove around some more and then went back to the dock area. Erika, the program manager that rode on our tour buses, got off the bus and made a call. When she got back on she said that the ship had been delayed going through the lock and would be arriving “shortly.” More driving around in the rain. It finally stopped raining when we went back to the dock area. Everyone cheered when they saw the ship coming. Because they had been delayed, dinner time, etc. had to be adjusted.

The ships must make reservations a year in advance to go through the locks, but if one is late that fouls up everyone else scheduled for that particular lock.

Before dinner there was a farewell party in the lounge with sparkling wine distributed to anyone who wanted it.

Tonight was the Captain’s Dinner. Neither captain could attend because it is a long distance between Kelheim and Nürnburg. While one was in the wheelhouse the other would be sleeping.

All the stops were pulled out for this dinner which ended with a darkened dining room and the dining and kitchen staff parading around the dining room with baked Alaska and lighted sparklers.

Our waiter, Tomas, told us they would have a parr-odd. I said, “okay if they are going to have a parr-odd, I’m going to go get my camera.” Everyone else at the table was kind of scratching their heads until it dawned on them what he meant. We all really liked this young man, and he must have liked us as well. Several of us ordered cappuccino and espresso. They are extra cost items. When we asked for our bill, he told us they were his treat.

Our Daily Briefing was after dinner and was about disembarkation procedures and our stop in Nürnburg. There was a raffle drawing and then off to bed.