My original intention was to post a day-by-day account of my family’s recent trip to the BVI, but I quickly realized that there was far too much to write about. Thus, the abbreviated (!) version.

This was my 15th trip to the BVI and my wife’s 3rd. What made this year special was the inclusion of my in-laws, going on a 2nd honeymoon after 28 years of marriage, my stepson and his wife, celebrating 8 months of marriage, and my stepdaughter, joining us from college in New York. My goal was to provide all of these newcomers with a “Best of the BVI” as I have experienced them over the years. What we got exceeded even my lofty standards.

The majority of our trip was spent at the Clarke house in CGB. What a fantastic place!!! Jane has created the perfect Caribbean ambiance…a combination of comfort and authentic island touches. We all very quickly felt right at home and spent many hours just sitting on the deck, sipping drinks, talking, and soaking in the vibe. One afternoon, we ventured into Carrot Bay and were lucky enough to score a 17 pound king fish from one of the local fisherman. My father-in—law, who is a chef, had that fish ready to go within an hour. My stepson got to eat the heart and proclaimed it the best sashimi he had ever eaten. A simple meal of grilled fish, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli never tasted so good. During the week, he did wonders with other basic meals as well.

Speaking of food, we did get to sample a number of local favorites during our stay. Sebastian’s has become a “first night on the island” tradition and neither the beachfront rooms nor the meal disappointed in any way. Stewed conch is rapidly becoming my favorite island dish. We were also fortunate enough to be at the Elm for the last Bar-B-Que of the season…a meal that I remember fondly from previous trips. Of course, the culinary highlight of the trip had to have been dinner at the Sandcastle. Of the many meals I’ve had there, this one was the best. The roast duck still has the crew talking, and we’re a pretty discriminating bunch. Lastly, we were able to sample drinks, appetizers, and the incredible sunset at Bananakeet. Having Rueben playing the night we were there was simply the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Rueben was not the only musical highlight of the trip, however. At the Elm, we were finally introduced to Manpot, Landcrab, Warlock and probably a few other TTOL legends whose names escape me at the moment. Thanks to Malcolm, I got to meet one of my true musical idols, Steve Cropper. We only got to hear a little bit of his performance with the Elmtones, but those who stayed for the duration said that it was one for the ages. Since most of the crowds were in Carrot Bay for the festival, we were treated to two relatively quiet nights of acoustic music at Quito’s. As much as I enjoy his work with the Edge, I must say that this is the best way to experience one of the true gems of Tortola. The fact that his musical talent is only surpassed by the positive nature of his personality makes every time I see him perform a special memory.

Perhaps the standout day of the entire trip involved a daysail with Gary on Kuralu. A perfect day for sailing, great snorkeling in the caves at Pirates, lunch at the Willy T, and two gracious hosts in Gary and Ashley made for an experience to remember. I’m still waiting for the underwater photos to be developed. Seeing the entire gang going into a cave in perfect formation and knowing the feeling the “newbies” must have been feeling was a very satisfying moment for me personally. The entire trip was a display of family unity and bonding; there were far too many moments to describe. Safe to say, however, that we all will have them forever.

Finally, I’d like to offer thanks on behalf of my entire family to:
Uschi and the wonderful staff at Sebastians’s
Beverly, who does a great job keeping the Clarke house
Jerry/Tish and all the gang at the Soggy Dollar/Sandcastle
Gary and Ashley for a fantastic day on Kuralu
Quito for all the great music and inspiration
Manpot ,who has been an invaluable source of information and insight.
And last, but not least:
We were fortunate enough to have had Sandman drive us around during our entire stay. If the Tortola ever picks an ambassador for tourism, he’d be my pick. Just a gentle, kind soul who knows everything and everybody and gives off such a positive spirit that you can’t help being happy in his presence.
I’m not usually given to such bursts of emotional writing, but his trip warranted each an every superlative. Gonna be a tough job trying to top, or even equal it, but I’m up to the challenge!!!