Member Spotlight
Leagle49
Leagle49
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (caribbeangirl13, Swifty, boucharda, Jeannius, eightzerobits, Chaseec, kaba, sailingbob, WWII, taraavo, Snorkeller, RickinAtlanta, ColoBoater, Brian&Andi, candu, PML, MrEZgoin, Todd_Melinda_K, mark37, bostonbob, UncleLuff, duckfat, timnboston, MKGrey, charlie, Travel Talker, Manpot, deliveryskipper, diver67, StMartinFan, steve74, Kathleen, Memphré, 14 invisible), 1,062 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anegada #115976
01/04/2017 11:30 AM
01/04/2017 11:30 AM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline OP
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline OP
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Someone had asked about what to do in Anegada.....this is a trip,report from our day on Anegda last year...

As the sun peaks over the hill at Biras Creek we awaken and start Anegada dreamin… one of my favorite places on earth coming up. Hurried coffee with Baileys this morning as much bigger and better things await me. This will be our first sailing day on Reef Song since May last year so checking and double checking that of all of all systems, lines etc. are in order prior to take off.

Funny but I always go through the same mental checklist each and every year after being away from it…. OK this is the furler , this is the outhaul , this is the mainsheet etc etc….It quickly comes back and we are in full swing. I take the helm though ( have finally figured out that the wheel is much easier than hauling on those darn sheets ) Wow what an exhilarating feeling when the sails fill and we can shut off that noisy engine….Perfect sustained 15 knots the entire way over…Hardly a cloud and difficult to determine where the water ends and the sky begins ….wow is an understatement.. I feel so very lucky.

[Linked Image]

Half way over a call to Dean to ask about a rental …of course says Henny his lovely wife- call on the cell once you are getting settled and Dean will meet you . …It is a very busy week and tons of boaters around but our usual anchor spot inside the last buoy opposite Anegada Reef Hotel awaits us and we find the perfect sandy spot to drop and fetch up well . …Lets pack up for our incredible adventure ahead…hat , sun screen , towel and cozies and off we go .

Secured at the dock in front of Wonky Dog to make our reservations for diner later that evening. Hello Peter. My what a lovely place you have here…..well thanks says he is the most incredible Scottish accent. …what a great guy. Over then to secure and lock up the dinghy for our day away… In awe of my surroundings as usual and click click click goes the camera…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

....can never get enough…Hi again Dean…whisked off to his place for the paper work and rental car. Off we go dodging cows and donkeys along the route. The newbies are having a blast.

A quick drive through the settlement then first stop at Flash of Beauty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..beach stroll and treasure hunting ( aka beach glass and shells) and then after some more serious relaxing ...my friend could not believe she was walking on this gorgeous beach without another person in sight

[Linked Image]

..ready for a beverage and a goat roti snack – yummy yummy. Next up Big Bamboo…the place is hoping busy around the bar…so exciting. The “ most famous juggler in the world “- according to him at least- is in the house. Another beverage and off we go again to my most fav of all – Cow wreck and miss Belle.
More local wildlife enroute including Pasta and Noodle – Walkers new baby is so cute.

Bushwhackers are in order for mid afternoon as the sun sinks in the western sky…

[Linked Image]

Lets go search for more “Hidden Treasure” – aka Walker and Nancy….Yes they are home and welcome us for a visit. So nice to meet up and have a nice chat.

[Linked Image]

Belle’s grandson Ricky missed his uncle Walker and was hanging onto him for dear life – he sure is growing.

[Linked Image]

Sadly the daylight is ending and we must make our way back to ready ourselves for our diner reservations at Wonky Dog….my taste buds are in eager anticipation …. WOW was it good. The lovely Desnee looked after us royally and every bite of my Lamb was a delight. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Solved all the problems of the world under the Anegada stars….

Good morning brings a spectacular sunrise with my coffee with Baileys…

[Linked Image]

And never forget to look behind you at sunrise and sunset for different but equally spectacular beauty

[img]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r544/kimsc1/BVI%20March%202016/image.jpg4_2.jpg[/img]

Off the hook we go fairly early for more adventure….another perfect sailing day in store …this afternoons choice is Lee Bay via the Camanoe passage. Seems very busy at Scrub and Marina Cay …looking forward to our visit the following week ..

[img]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r544/kimsc1/BVI%20March%202016/image.jpg1_3.jpg[/img]

Oh my we are the only ones in here….but its early -bet we will not be so lucky as to be solo for long…sadly yes others have discovered this magical place and we are joined by a few other cats who anchor in closer to shore…Yahoo they did not spoil our sunset view.
A relaxing late afternoon swim and circum snorkel of the Bay then chill out in the cockpit as we watch the and all cleaned up for the main event- the sunset and BBQ aboard in total piece and quiet- the drink of choice was Gin and Tonic

[img]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r544/kimsc1/BVI%20March%202016/image.jpg2_1.jpg[/img]

.....and the main event was spectacular.

[img]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r544/kimsc1/BVI%20March%202016/image.jpg1_1.jpg[/img]

Top –o- the mornin to ya….its St Patty’s day ….starting off with my….

….yup coffee with Bailys.

[img]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r544/kimsc1/BVI%20March%202016/image.jpg5_2.jpg[/img]

Off shortly to another of my favorite spots CGB for some shenanigans… stay tuned

Kim

BVI Sponsors
Re: Anegada [Re: Sandsailsun] #115977
01/04/2017 12:23 PM
01/04/2017 12:23 PM
Oklahoma
LivinLarge Offline
Traveler
LivinLarge  Offline
Traveler
Oklahoma
Love Anegada !!!!

Allan
Re: Anegada [Re: Sandsailsun] #115978
01/04/2017 12:51 PM
01/04/2017 12:51 PM
Fairfax, VA
GW248 Offline
Traveler
GW248  Offline
Traveler
Fairfax, VA
Hi Kim - loved the report. Is there any need to coordinate the car rental with Dean in advance, or is a call the day of sufficient? We are going in June and our first time renting a car there.

Rick

Re: Anegada [Re: GW248] #115979
01/04/2017 12:58 PM
01/04/2017 12:58 PM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline OP
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline OP
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Never hurts to order ahead but we often have a pretty loose itinerary based on weather and it was high season in March and we got a vehicle no problem .., may have been luck tho . June is typically not as busy but one never knows. Sailed one time first week of June and it was crazy busy

Kim

Re: Anegada [Re: Sandsailsun] #115980
01/04/2017 01:00 PM
01/04/2017 01:00 PM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline OP
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline OP
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
So wish I was on Anegada right now... Having a dandy snow storm and taking down my Christnad tree... Always so sad I find

Kim

Re: Anegada [Re: Sandsailsun] #115981
01/04/2017 03:35 PM
01/04/2017 03:35 PM
Maryland
Twanger Offline
Traveler
Twanger  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
Love the pictures! Got my DIF flaring up again.

Re: Anegada [Re: Twanger] #115982
01/04/2017 04:23 PM
01/04/2017 04:23 PM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline OP
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline OP
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
My DIF never leaves

Kim