Member Spotlight
Bakoguy
Bakoguy
Bakersfield, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Dutchman, hathead, lookinatfifty, Lovetheocean, LuSea
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (706jim, StMartinFan, sailgclass, 3 invisible), 887 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sea grass at Anegada? #116284
01/05/2017 02:08 PM
01/05/2017 02:08 PM
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline OP
Traveler
cwoody  Offline OP
Traveler
Middleburg, VA
Couple years ago we did two days moored at Anegada. During the second night the genset on the boat quit working. (actually I noticed no water circulation and shut it down)

Next day we sailed over to Leverick and had Mooring service come over to take a look. His first question was.."have you been to Anegada ? Raw water intake for genset was completely backedup and clogged with seagrass up to the filter. Was a real pain to get it cleared out.

We ran the Genset/Air Conditioners in the evening to cool down boat when cooking aboard and at night once everyone turned in.

Any one else experience this?

Last edited by cwoody; 01/05/2017 02:11 PM.

Chuck W.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Sea grass at Anegada? [Re: cwoody] #116285
01/05/2017 02:11 PM
01/05/2017 02:11 PM
Grenada
Zanshin Offline
Traveler
Zanshin  Offline
Traveler
Grenada
Is this "sea grass" the Sargasso pods or something else? Two years ago there was a particularly bad year for Sargassum. I never had much in the water at Anegada, it was usually very clear.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sea grass at Anegada? [Re: Zanshin] #116286
01/05/2017 02:14 PM
01/05/2017 02:14 PM
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline OP
Traveler
cwoody  Offline OP
Traveler
Middleburg, VA
Never had very good visibility in the anchorage. Very churned up and sandy.

Lots of small blades of bottom grass floating in the water.
Don't think it was Sargasso pods

(BTW Arnd..... Nice boat!!!)

Re: Sea grass at Anegada? [Re: cwoody] #116287
01/05/2017 04:23 PM
01/05/2017 04:23 PM
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Apex, NC
cwoody said:
Couple years ago we did two days moored at Anegada. During the second night the genset on the boat quit working. (actually I noticed no water circulation and shut it down)

Next day we sailed over to Leverick and had Mooring service come over to take a look. His first question was.."have you been to Anegada ? Raw water intake for genset was completely backedup and clogged with seagrass up to the filter. Was a real pain to get it cleared out.

Any one else experience this?

Yup... Twice at Anegada. Once a few years ago and this past summer we had the genny kick off in the middle of the night. The next morning I looked at it and discovered the sea strainer full of grass. I cleared it out but it still didn't fix the problem - the generator still kicked off after a few seconds due to low water flow. So I kept looking and discovered the through hull was stuffed full of grass as well which was a real pain to get unplugged and involved pulling the supply line off the valve and clearing the grass I could see repeated three times. It was not possible to clear the through hull from the outside. Not sure if a screen on the through hull would have been beneficial (?). When I returned the boat to CYOA a few days later they immediately inspected/replaced the genny impeller which turned out was slightly damaged. The CYOA folks don't take any chances!

Similar, back in October I had the AC stop working. That wasn't at Anegada but same problem - the AC strainer was full of grass. That time it was only the strainer and the fix was about two minutes once I figured out where the strainer was located. I ask about all the strainers during the check out process for every boat I take out. For some reason I didn't catch the location of the AC strainer on that trip/boat.

A little worrisome that your generator didn't shut itself down. It should have.

Life's short - sail more!
Re: Sea grass at Anegada? [Re: agrimsrud] #116288
01/06/2017 10:26 AM
01/06/2017 10:26 AM
Cow Wreck Beach
wmangum Offline
Traveler
wmangum  Offline
Traveler
Cow Wreck Beach
We do have spells of heavy seagrass - mainly in the summer. There is no sea grass on the beach or in the seas at all here now.

Walker Mangum
Cow Wreck Beach, Anegada