Setting the record straight!

Amsterdam has the reputation of being sin city of the world. Many folks have the impression that the notorious “Red Light” district is the Sodom and Gomorrah of modern day. Visions of Coffee House where the smell of hashish permeates the air are numerous…

[Linked Image]

And that would be true….

And some folks honestly believe that there are working females barely dressed standing in windows selling their wears can also be found in the Red Light District

[Linked Image]

That would be true also…

But what makes the Red Light District special to my sweetie and I…

[Linked Image]

It has a laundry mat that opens up a 8 am and for a few Euros we feel like new people.

My memories of the Red Light District will always be the smell of clean clothes and the wonderful bakery next to it.

Amsterdam is so much more than the Red Light district. I cannot think of a better place to be stuck. Everyone is so nice and they all go out of their way to be helpful.

The volcano has caused so much stress and pain across Europe, but as I sit by a canal enjoying a wonderful beer looking at flowers and boats passing by - the world is at peace in my eyes. However there is a family in Iceland that is truly suffering and may have lost everything… Let us not forget who is suffering here - It ain’t me. Janet and I have lost nothing and actually probably have benefited from this invisible ash that has grounded Europe. So we wait to return home and continue to play tourist enjoying our wonderful hosts.

Today our entire group of the stranded rejoined in Amsterdam. The news has positive things to say about planes leaving soon. We have confirmed seats on Thursday. One of our group on Friday, and one has yet to be able to confirm a ticket. Standby may be an option but that will not be explored till Tuesday.

So in closing when you think of the Netherlands - think of nice people and windmills. Go to the Red Light District so you can see for yourself but always remember Amsterdam and the surrounding area is so much more

[Linked Image]

The town of Koog Zaandijk which is a 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam

Across the canal one will find Zaanse Schans or as I call it the Windmill Town.

[Linked Image]

Yep it is a tourist town, but hey that is what I am at the moment.

Tomorrow we will watch the skies to look for airplane contrails walking the city streets and visiting museums.

[Linked Image]

And to my son who posted above - I totally agree. If given a choice of being dead in the water and having to be towed for 5 days in the gulf of Alaska or Stuck in Amsterdam... Your life sucks. Safe arrival call when you return to Kodiak please.

Last edited by Administrator; 06/03/2010 10:02 AM.