Note: I'll use "curly braces" ({ and }) instead of brackets for my examples to prevent these examples from accidently executing.<br><br>Since some of you who can't seem to get the linking feature working on your posts have asked for a quick primer, here it is. I know you don't want to hear this, but linking is really easy; at least, once you know the rules.<br><br>Many of you have inserted the little icons (emoticons) in your posts before. You've done this by clicking on the appropriate emoticon, which then gets inserted into your post. You've probably seen that the emoticon is designated by enclosing a word inside brackets ([ and ]). For example, if you click on the "grin" emoticon, you'll get - {grin}. When the software sees the brackets, it converts what is inside to what you want it to be.<br><br>Linking works in very much the same way. There are 2 ways to link email addresses and 2 ways to link web sites (url's). Look below the emoticons and you'll see a number of icons that represent the ways to create links. There are two that have envelopes on them that represent email links and two that have globes (but NOT the ones with "ftp") that represent site links.<br><br>Let's start with email. Suppose you want to create a link to "myname@aol.com". You can do this one of two ways: either have the link show as an email; e.g., "..please drop a note to me at [color:blue]myname@aol.com</font color=blue>..." where "myname@aol.com" appears as a link, or have it appear as "..please drop a note to [color:blue]me</font color=blue>..." where "me" appears as a link. If you click on the envelope with the "1" on it, you'll see "{Email}you@somewhere.com{/Email}" appear in your post. Simply delete the "you@somewhere.com" and replace it with the correct email address. If you click on the envelope with the "2" on it, you'll see "{Email=you@somewhere.com}Your Name{/Email}" in your post. Here, you replace the "you@somewhere.com" with the correct email address and then replace the "Your Name" with what you actually want to appear; e.g., "me".<br><br>To link to a web site is very similar. Instead of using the envelope icons, you should click on the globe icons (remember to use the ones that do not have the "ftp" on them). Globe 1 is used for presenting your link in standard format. This icon will insert "{url}link{/url}" in your post. Replace the "link" with the correct url; e.g., "http://www.mysite.com". Globe 2 works like envelope 2. It will insert "{url=link}description{/url}" in your post. Here, you replace "link" with the correct web site address and replace "description" with what you want to appear; e.g., you might end up with {url=http://www.mysite.com}my web site{/url}. In this case, "my web site" will show as the link.<br><br>Remember, I used curly braces instead of brackets in my examples. The software recognizes the brackets, so be sure not to replace them when you post. Use this thread to test some of your link-making ability. See if you don't agree with me that it's easy once you know the rules.

[color:"blue"]Best,
Jeff Carlin
Bloomington, IN[/color]