did ya miss me? this was our longest trip and i am still surrounded by the debris of traveling,wondering where i had all this stuff before i left.[Linked Image] started quite well when there were people in our seats who were not to be budged on a full plane......we were sweating it when this lovely lady asked my husband if these other seats would be acceptable-FIRST CLASS-a first for us. she asked if we wanted a drink and he asked for white wine and then realized it was only 8:45 am! enjoyed every drop. i am very arthritic and hate the process of flying but i must say this was a great improvement! we left boston on time with no waiting for all security checkins on aa except a few minutes at curbside baggage check. the light dusting of snow was the "icing" on the cake.<br><br> have always cheered on the ferry from stt to tortola but this time we just missed it due to the taxi waiting to fill and had to wait 90 min. for the next one which then left late and was very full. tip-get your body at the exit to be first in line for customs. i bet some people waited an hour. quick work of it there and on to long bay by cab armed with every good and bad review from this board and our day trips to visit friends.<br><br> first impression-polite checkin,sumptuous room ,GREAT ac,and immediate response for a cement block to add an extra step to the high landing. had beachfront deluxe and it was except for threadbare sheets. there 3 nights. no further interaction with the staff until checkout. a charge for beach towels politely removed at my request. cheeseburgers at the pool really good,almost no one around and we usually had it to ourselves. the weather started to deteriorate-very windy with peekaboo sun,driving rain from time to time. i was actually cold! that has never happened on any of our trips. the beach totally unswimmable from end to end from the pounding surf and i am getting nervous about the ferry to jost on tues. only a couple of boats on the horizon and no sails at all. not a good sign. during our 3 days we did get a short snorkel at smugglers before the wind kicked up and did drive out to the "other" long bay by the airport. no boats out but could see many bobbing at marina cay. would have been idyllic without the gale winds and no sun. a little too rough to swim but i am pretty daring and was getting frustrated with the conditions. couldn't even tell where there might have been snorkeling. body surfed for a while and headed back for the requisite stop at sunny caribbee. will surely head there next time-reminded me of savannah bay on vg.<br><br> while on tortola we ate at palms delight and had the ginger chicken-very good. had a good meal at mrs. scatliffe's but the atmosphere was nonexistent. a bored teen led us to an empty, drab porch and sullenly served the excellent conch fritters,listless salad,and delicious coconut chicken. poked my head in to the kitchen to at least see the famous mrs. scatliffe and she was WAY older than the pic. in the ads,bent,and very sweet. she apologized for the teen not serving dessert as he had not taken it out of the freezer. the walk back down her unusual steep stairs was harrowing after all the rain. we are starting to catch on that this trip to paradise may just turn out to be like real life! our first night we met friends from home who had picked up their boat so we settled for the imitation island barbecue at pussers in sopers hole that was just ok. spent a peacful breakfast at nssm with egberth,had a massage at fort recovery,a great lunch at the midtown restaurant and visited nanny cay for the first time. had a nice breakfast,good price,and looked around the bright shops. it was busy due to the AWFUL WEATHER. now i've just come out and said it! the weather sucked for 5 days in a row. we have called the sandcastle and talked to egberth about the ferry and been reassured that,despite the dearth of boats it will be safe. hmmmm-maybe there is a screen play here somewhere........the only glitch was our car from avis was not waiting for us but a phone call had it there,with apologies,the next morning. i would stay ay long bay again. the only draw back for me is the stairs and steepness and distance between where i need to go. not much of a problem for most people. the room was wonderful. <br><br> so we amble on down to the ferry and today there are even fewer boats in sight. only the"when" is going. the other is broken. we are the only passengers except for vats of "open pit" barb. sauce for foxys. they glide over to get gas with the engine running and the hatch open. i am seeing myself on the cover of usa today-tourists blown to kingdom come. we head out and the kid motions us to go below. my worst nightmare. he locks us in and disappears. the next 20 minutes were terrifying. the water was an amazing color and we were so close to it. i knew i could swim if we flipped but there would be no way to get out of the hold. i am thinking perfect storm about now-a movie i wouldn't see after having a recurring nightmare about waves since i was a kid. well-here it is come to life. the wind is screaming,the sky so blue,the water magical and i am waiting to die. half way across my husband's seat,bolted to the floor,,jumps and crashes into mine pinning me into a little corner. i am now beyond scared,missing my kids getting married next year and the maine party on the 28th. the half way mark was the worst and it slowly got better as we got closer to jost. even my husband was getting concerned and has complimented me on my stoic courage knowing how scared i was to be unable to swim away. am i having fun yet?<br><br> getting to jvd was a dream come true. what a perfect place for a honeymoon or a convelescence of the mind or body.the staff is welcoming,efficient,and friendly. the room was very nice with state of the art ac and a ceiling fan,a clothesline,a great pad to float on or add to your chaise to make it almost like a couch. everything you need was right there. the first night we enjoyed the dinner and other guests. most guests and staff were from the uk. the lights went out and i was heartbroken to learn they would be out all night. that magnificent wind was nowhere to be found during the long,DARK,sleepless night. the only way i could even tell where i was in the room was my husband,the snoring locater! the next day it was more wind and rain but we pretended to snorkle and the bar was pretty quiet. rested on the beach huddled under towels with a good book. took a cab to ali babas for an excellent island meal. the sandcastle has more of an international menu and we really prefer the local stuff. returned to only hotel guests and we had a very pleasant hour sitting around the coffee table with dessert until the lights went out AGAIN. now,the other guests are giddy with the romanticism of it all. i am expecting them to break out the smores any minute.! went grudgingly to bed when they came back and off and then on. am thinking i am in a john frakenheimer movie! finally the room was cool and all was well with the world. the 3rd day we had the hotel dinner and a great day on the beach. the weather is finally breaking. lots of sailors at the bar and extra guests for dinner. the snorkeling much improved and we saw a lemon shark. tina tells us both ferries to tortola are not running today so we need to think about leaving tomorrow as they have no room for us. we are heading to st. john and expect to take the weekend ferry directly there and choose the 9am run instead of the 3pm just in case. we are on the dock feeling blue that we have to leave now that it is very warm and sunny. well-the ferry doesn't come. what a surprise!!! in the distance we see what looks like a tortola ferry slowly arriving. it is our old friend the "when". we figure it is meant to be so we head back with them to find a 2 hr. layover to stj so take native sun to stt and then a taxi to redhook and the short ferry to finally get to stj in 4 hours instead of 20min. oh well-island time! we are cooked by the sun but grateful to finally arrive at our villa and there ends the bvi part of this story. questions? feel free. regards,searose<br><br> [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]