At the end of May we (two sailors + plus 4 with less experience) are chartering a 39 ft sailing catamaran. This will be our group's second time to the BVI (last time we had a 42ft monohull) and we hope to visit Anegada. We have sailed a small monohull on the Chesapeake Bay for 5 years (as well as another charter there). I have a couple of days experience on a 44ft cat.
Obviously we will need to decide if the weather is appropriate for us to sail to (or from) Anegada. I would appreciate comments as to what combinations of wind speed and wave height/period would be unsuitable for a relatively novice crew on this boat (we will have sailed a few days in the BVIs on the cat of course!).
We made the trip last year in June and it was our first time bareboating. I have offshore fishing experience, but my wife and daughters had never been in the open ocean. We had 15 to 20 knot winds and it was relatively comfortable, but anyone who gets even mildly seasick may want to take some medicine prior to this passage. I agree that 25+ would make for an uncomfortable trip. By the way, on a clear day you have visibility to land (back to VG or to Anegada) for most of the trip. Have fun and keep a look out for dolphins.
Also, we rented a car and toured the island. However, we much preferred Cow Wreck to Loblolly. This is important because Cow Wreck is close to the anchorage and Loblolly is much farther away. If you want to tour the island, have fun, but let me warn you that taking the back roads (if you can call them that) from Loblolly to Cow Wreck is an adventure. We had fun, but we will not be doing this again. Straight to Cow Wreck and walks away from Cow Wreck on the deserted beaches for us this year.
Lastly, we ate at Wonky Dog and it was really good. I also hear good things about Potters.
Peter - I have been through a similar thought-process myself a few times, and have always been happy I decided to go for it. It's always a great experience for both captain and crew, and is a highlight for us.
On the weather, I do check (windguru) extra-intently for that trip - if there's a significant chance of rain/squalls, or winds/gusts much above 20 knots then I'd look for another day - but otherwise go for it - don't be over-cautious. I don't really look at wave height/frequency too much - just make sure it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Not sure what you thoughts are on the route, but we've done both the North Sound and Drake Channel (Scrub) departures, in each case returning to the other. Not surprisingly, leaving from North Sound is a little more comfortable.
Have fun! We'll be out there at a similar time (last week in May).
It would be more comfortable sailing to Anegada in 25knots of wind than beating up the SFD channel in the same wind. That assumes you start from the N sound. Don't start from Cane Garden Bay in a monohull with 20 knots of wind. Trust me on this one! Divorce is expensive! G
Sailing to Anegada is mainly about the navigation. And of course the weather. Be sure you or your GPS know where the channel markers are. Follow them religiously. Also, be very clear on where the coral reefs are. Also, besides checking the conditions for your trip to Anegada, be sure to check expected conditions for return trip before you leave for Anegada.