What to say about our 12 day stay at Club Orient (CO) in SXM beginning 6/27/02? Except for the very last day—GREAT!! More about that last day later in this report.<br><br>This was our fourth SXM trip and third consecutive year at CO. This was a special trip for us as we were joined by friends we had met years ago at Grand Lido Negril in Jamaica---Ben and his wife, Casey. They had last been to SXM over 20 years ago for a week’s stay and they were amazed by the development since then. They stayed for the first 9 days of our stay.<br><br>As usual, we stayed in a mini-suite (143) and were satisfied with the accommodations. Our friends stayed in a beach chalet (72) and were delighted with it. After seeing the chalet close up, we have decided that in the future we will book either a beach or garden chalet depending upon availability. The extra space is worth the extra cost.<br><br>We spend most days on the beach with our friends. Every morning we would walk the beach. My wife and I took no chances---I always wore swimming trunks and my wife wore a long tank top. Many others walked au naturel and despite some reports we had read, there was never a problem with the law.<br><br>We had planned to eat most lunches at Baywatch so that we could renew our acquaintance with its owners, Andy and Cheryl. As it turned out, Baywatch was only opened the second day and the last day of our stay. Andy and Cheryl were moving to a different personal residence and, according to Andy, he had “38 boxes of Cheryl’s” that had to be moved. Nevertheless, we did get to spend time with them the last full day and my wife introduced Cheryl to the current fad of “Italian bracelets”, a different kind of charm bracelet that I thought my wife had outgrown years ago. You know the old saying about girls and their toys!<br><br>Having Ben and Casey with us for most of our stay forced us out of the rut we had gotten into over the past few SXM visits. Thanks to them, we did more things than usual and it was a positive kick in the pants for us. Ben really likes to dance and we soon found ourselves eating at CO’s Papagayos on entertainment nights which were Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays when there was music for dancing. <br><br>The Fourth of July buffet this year was on a Thursday and it was much better than last year. Once you get used to seeing people dance au naturel, it was fun. Just took me awhile to get use to it. Ben got use to it immediately! Too bad he left for home the night they ended the dancing with the limbo!!<br><br>A special attraction this visit was the appearance of a man who travels to CO frequently always accompanied by a bevy of young women. A “bevy” in this case is defined as a half dozen. I have heard others speak of him on past visits but this was our first eyewitness experience. Reactions by other guests fell into two categories. Most women seemed mildly outraged and the gossip flowed on the beach. Most men seemed mildly bemused (“you go, boy!”) but stifled the bemusement to avoid turning the women’s mild outrage into a more virulent variety. At least I was very careful. In any case, the young women would often be on the dance floor dancing with each other. That added to the bemusement felt by the men and threatened to make their mates less bemused. Can’t we all be friends? You go, boy!<br><br>As usual, a highlight of our trip was the cruise to Tintemarre on CO’s Tiko Tiko. First tip: Order the chicken in coconut sauce. Delicious!! Second tip: Reserve your cruise early in your stay so that you will not be disappointed as the slots fill up quickly. We did more exploring of the island than we usually do accompanied by Ben and Casey and the other folks on the cruise. Final Tiko Tiko tip: Partake of the mud bath at the end of the day. Sounds and looks awful but great fun.<br><br>We spent most of one day touring the island with our friends—after Ben had a massage with a “Vichy shower” at CO’s neat little spa. Both my wife and Casey had massages sans the “Vichy shower” and found it very relaxing. I skipped the massages as I don’t like strange hands on me and as for Ben’s “Vichy shower”, the one in my mini-suite got me equally wet and is far cheaper. As am I.<br><br>We went to Phillipsburg, Maho, Cupecoy, the lowlands and then to Marigot with stops along the way for shopping—much to Ben’s and my distress. A Touch of Gold in Phillipsburg still has the same ring my wife has been lusting for since she first spied in 2000. Unless someone buys it between now and next summer, I probably will have to buy it for her. If you are interested in buying the ring and saving me a lot of money next year, please email me and I will give you the ring’s inventory number—if you promise not to tell my wife.<br><br>Thanks to the positive influence of Ben and Casey, we dined at more and different restaurants than we would normally do. We did not have a bad meal anywhere including Papagayo where the quality can sometimes waver a bit. If I have to rank them (from best to merely good), here is how I would do it (all are in Grand Case except, of course, Papagayo):<br><br>1. l’ Auberge Gourmand---Every time we went by this place it was full while the other restaurants were almost empty. We decided to try it and found out why it was always full. Very good food, very nice décor, excellent service. Great desserts too!<br>2. Il Nettuno---Always a favorite of mine. The owner was there and in fine spirits as he welcomed us. Good service, great location, good food (I really like the pasta fagioli).<br>3. Sunset Café---Recommended by a friend of Ben’s and located in the Grand Case Beach Resort. Who would have thought it would be good? Good food and very reasonable prices.<br>4. L’Amdandier Plage---Another recommendation of Ben’s friend and another winner! The food was good but the dessert was hilarious! I ordered dessert (I always order dessert—no wine or appetizers to take away my dessert appetite) and it came with 3 small green leaves artfully put on top. Ben for some reason thought they were chocolate and started eating one of them. To his great regret. To our great laughter!!<br>5. California---Another long time favorite of my wife and me. Great for a light dinner of pizza. Best and biggest dessert menu in Grand Case.<br>6. Le Tastevin---Good but not great. We enjoyed it but it will probably be awhile before we go back.<br>7. Papagayo---Is what it is. Convenient and the food is O.K. (I like the spaghetti). Best and most reasonable dress code on the island. Come as you are or as you were. It will work.<br><br>Odds and Ends:<br><br>1. On the way back to CO one night from dinner at Grand Case, I saw a large vehicle with many flashing red lights bearing down on me from the rear. I told my wife and friends that I was going to have to find a place to pull over (not easy) so that the fire truck could pass me. I did so. And a garbage truck with flashing red lights roared by me, no doubt delighted if not puzzled by my courtesy. Everyone thought it was funny but me and I heard about it for days. Was that fair?<br>2. The road to CO is improved over last year which is not to say it is good. Beware of the speed bumps which seem totally redundant.<br>3. And now we come to the topic of crime and our last morning at CO. We had everything packed including our money. My wife had a few dollars in her wallet in her purse as well as $200 in an envelope which was folded over and put in a dark recess of her purse. The purse was on the bed. I had about $200 in my wallet which was in my carry on bag on the table. I took my room key and $20 in cash (I had no pockets) and off we went to breakfast at Papagayo. 45 minutes later we were back, getting ready to leave for the airport. My wife began complaining that I had taken the few dollars she had in her wallet---we always joke about how little cash she carries. To make her be quiet, I went to my wallet in my carry on bag intending to give her a few dollars. I found my wallet but it had no cash! My wife quickly searched the rest of her purse and the envelope with the cash was gone as well. Our credit cards were all in place as were our passports (thank goodness!). Someone in the 45 minutes we were at breakfast had accessed our room and made off with our cash. This someone had to be either an employee or someone else with a pass key as I had checked both doors before leaving to make sure they were locked.<br><br>We lost a bit of innocence this trip concerning CO. Our trust level with their employees will never be the same. Bottom line: it was our fault that we made the theft possible. Always keep your valuables including cash in your room safe until the very last moment.<br><br>I reported the theft when I checked out which was almost immediately after our discovery. They said they would report our loss to security which was not likely to help us.<br><br>We will go back to CO but will be much more careful. A bad ending to a good vacation.<br>