Preface
In writing this report, I wanted to set a new standard for trip report procrastination. Actually, I just kept putting it off. It’s always easier to write a report, knowing when you will return. Since we have one heading off to college next year; we’re not sure when we’ll be back.

Intro
This was our second time to St. Martin, with the first trip in May of 2008. Due to the kid’s schedules and school, we were forced to move it back a month to mid June. We made the trip arrangement in November, so the waiting was a killer. Sometimes I think a last minute trip would be much easier.

U.S. Airways
This time we decided to fly out of O’hare instead of Detroit. We are about an hour closer to Detroit, but were able to save $400 on the flights. We left on time, but since we only had 40 minutes to connect in Charlotte, I was a little worried. Landed on time, and within 20 minutes of touchdown, we had boarded the next flight. On the return flight, when we arrived at PJA, we were told that there would be a 45 minute delay. We had a 2 hour layover in CLT, so no problem. When we arrived at customs in CLT, they were full with about half the lines open. Wait was about 40 minutes, so now our comfortable layover turned into a race to get luggage, recheck and get to our gate. Flight back to Chicago was nice; had to go around a small thunderstorm.

Transportation
Taxi ride was very pleasant. Stopped by Sharon’s to pick up the cell phone. Was charged $35, the extra for the “stop” at Sharon’s.
We did not get a rental, and at no time during our stay did we wish we had one. Don’t really think we will get one the next time we return either. We are the beach bum types, and are content to stay in one place.

Club Orient
Last trip we stayed at L’hoste, and really enjoyed ourselves. This time we decided to try Club Orient, since that is where we spent our days. We stayed in a mini-suite (146). Very nice room and well equipped. No problems with room or location, thought we may try a studio next time; we liked their location and we never once used the inside table. We booked through Jim Ruos, and as always, great service. The outdoor showers are nice, though ours operated on a pull rope, so using it for an actual shower was not practical. Did not miss the TV. We cooked in every breakfast and about half our dinners. Kitchen was well furnished. We ate our meals on the picnic table on the back patio. The room safe is nice size, but a combination rather than a key operation would be preferred. Things Club O should think about adding would be; small rugs at the front and back doors, and a clock radio.

Food
La Boutique: Nice selection and was able to pick up some basics like butter, eggs and bread. Cost a little more, but for us; convenience is everything. Fresh pastries/breads were wonderful, cost varied between $1.00 and $1.50. Also, picked up a pint of ice cream for an afternoon snack on the beach.
Baywatch: New place was very nice; much more room up front for seating. We ate there twice. First time we each got a burger and shared an order of fries. This was way too much food for us. ($30.00 with soft drinks and tip) The second time, we shared a chicken sandwich and fries; $21.25. Hopefully I don’t get raked over the coals for this, but we were really disappointed in the hamburger. The meat reminded me of a cheap grocery store patty with a lot of meat fillers, only larger. On our last trip, we ate all our lunches here, so we were a bit surprised by this.
Orange Fever: Decided to try the pizza one day, and was very pleased. I wasn’t sure of the size since I didn’t see it on the menu. This is a definitely a large pizza. We ate half, and took the leftovers back to our room for a later day. ($18.00 with soft drinks and tip).
Pappagayo: We at lunch here once; shared a cheeseburger/fries & two soft drinks; E16.00 , excellent. We also ate dinner here 3 nights. First night I had 8oz. ribeye dinner and she had the spaghetti carbonara; E38.50. Second night I had the veggie/blue cheese lasagna and she had a cheese burger/fries; E33.50. Third night I returned to the 8oz. ribeye and she had the grilled pork tenderloin; E42.00. Overall the food was excellent. The only negative we had was the veggie/blue cheese lasagna. This should not be on the menu. I read recently in the monthly newsletter the menu was getting revamped. Hopefully they remove this dish. It was one of the worst things I have ever eaten. Everything else was top notch. They do change the “sides” on the dinners. They were different on the two times I ordered the ribeye, so it didn’t feel like I was eating the same thing again.
Papagayo was probably one of our favorite things about the trip. We loved the atmosphere. There are always questions about the attire. We saw everything from full dress to nude. I would say about 75% of the men were nude with the remaining wearing wraps. For the ladies it was about a 50/50 split. There was one couple; she was completely dressed and he wasn’t. There was music most every night, and dancing. On nights where we ate in our room, we would go to Papagayo for dessert. The chocolate chip banana cake is awesome; E7.50. Along with a glass of amaretto made a perfect nighttime snack.

Cell Phone
Rented one for Sharon Harris. $23 rental and $10 for about 30 minutes. Worked great on Orient Beach. Used it to call the kids when we got to the Perch webcam, so they could see us online.

New Friends
The best part about Club Orient is the people you meet. Paul and Theresa; thank you for the friendship and allowing us to tag along with you for the week, we really missed you guys on our last two days. What fun it was to huddle under the umbrellas or be forced to stay in the water because the rain was coming down to hard. Martin and his lovely wife next door; thank you for the pizza. George and Litha; we loved seeing you walk the beach each day (you guys act like teenagers). We loved watching you dance and enjoyed the karaoke. Ken and Kathy; too bad we didn’t meet you until our last morning, loved the pink cast, hope the arm is better. We met many more wonderful people, but unfortunately with the time lapse and misplacing of some of our notes, we lost the names. We can’t wait to return.

[Linked Image]