Trip Report – June 29th to July 7th, 2010-08-20

Getting There: As most of you know, it is always a challenge for us to get to St Martin. This year, we chose a different routing, so that we could visit our friends Lynette and James in Charlotte, as they were not going to be able to join us this year. Or so they said (more on this later). So, we flew from Moncton, New Brunswick to Toronto, then on to Charlotte to overnight. This is a 12 hr day.

As we were picked up by James and Lynette, I had to purchase a new camera. So off to Best Buy, got a camera, then off to dinner downtown. We were staying at the Hilton, so had dinner at the Blackfinn, located at the EpiCenter. Great food.

Flying to St Martin: It is now time to leave Charlotte, and fly down to St Martin. Our dear friends, John, Sue and Marissa (lovesbeaches) were leaving Pittsuburgh early in the morning, and we were all meeting in Charlotte, to fly down together. Flights were all on time, and as John and I were sitting next to each other, we took advantage of the situation, and had a few drinks and chatted the entire flight. So, after some drinks, we finally arrive

Rental Car: We have been renting from Unity for many years now, and as usual, quickly picked up, drove to their lot, and a few minutes later, off we went.

Day 1: Similar to the previous year, we traveled down for the July 4th period. Our usual August friends Bob and Pam were also joining us, but other August friends Ryan and Jennifer (socalcpl2006) and Lynette & James could not….or so they said. As we stepped in our studio at Club O, there was a note, welcoming us, and that there were a couple of beers in the fridge and that we were being waited for on the beach. I said to myself, thanks Bob, as they had arrived before us….but surprise #1, Ryan, Jennifer and their 2 year old daughter and flown in from California, and surprised us all….what a great way to start this wonderful vacation.

So, for dinner, off to the Dinghy Dock, for happy hour and ribs…..

Day 2 to Day 3: These are pretty much our typical days. Get up in the morning, fill cooler with drinks, off to the beach, spend the day at the beach, dinner, then back to Club O, sit outside with drinks and friends……

Day 4: This day was one of our best days. As John and I head to Philipsburg for some errands, and as it was the World Cup, we wanted to get a few vuvuzelas, these trumpets made popular in South Africa. We were told they had them at KFC. As we get there, they had the Netherlands game on the TV. We get our vuvuzelas, get a beer each, and as we were paying, they started a special for the game, 1 chicken leg, 1 Heineken, $1…..so, we decided to stay and watch the game at KFC….what a fun afternoon. …never thought KFC could be so much fun…

Now, surprise #2. As we get back from Philipsburg, in time for the end of happy hour at the Perch, who do we all see walk down the beach, drinks in hand….James & Lynette, who flew down from Charlotte for a quick 4 day trip. Lynette said, “if y’all are going to be there, so are we”..!!!! Wow….now, the August group is all there, plus new friends made the previous year, Richard and Sherri from Florida….This just keeps getting better….!!!

Day 5: Now, it`s time for the Tiko trip, for Sue`s birthday. As we had the entire boat booked for our group, which also included Bill and Elaine, it was a perfect day. Nice weather, great great company, fantastic service and meal by the Tiko crew…..a must do for us, every year.

Day 6: It`s July 4h. Nice day at the beach. We watched the parade, which seemed well attended. That evening, as the previous year, Papagayo had a huge buffet BBQ, which was well attended, I believe over 180 people served….

Day 7 to Day 9: Spent at the beach, just doing nothing….our way of spending the day…

Restaurants: We ate at our usual spots again, Pineapple Pete’s, Dinghy Dock, Papagayo and Peg Leg Pub. A first for us was dinner at Yvettes. Just like having dinner in your own dining room. Great Creole food, inexpensive.

Lunches were at Baywatch and the Perch…

Another first, was on 2 different nights, we purchased a dozen steaks at Cost U Less, and we all stayed in and grilled. The best 2 meals we had all trip…so much fun…..

Flight back: As we landed in Charlotte, to our surprise, James and Lynette were there to pick us up. Now, on our first evening in Charlotte, we had visited their home, and James showed me is 1950’s Ford pickup, which is amazing. So, what a thrill, when my ride at the airport was James and his pickup….

Dinner at the Blackfinn again, and some drinks at the piano bar “Howl at the Moon”….could have stayed there all night. The 2 guys and girl playing there that night were very good…..

Well, there goes another trip to St Martin. We had so much fun this trip. We laughed, we cried, we ate, we drank, we spent time with great friends. Each year, we say this was the best trip ever, but this year, with surprise #1, and surprise #2, and the whole dynamic of the trip, this truly was our best trip. And we all met on TTOL…

To Ryan, Jennifer and Kaitlyn, what can I say. Surprise #1 was a great start to the trip. And even if you had to leave a few days before the rest of us, it would not have been the same with you being there….promise, we will visit you in California soon…

To Richard and Sherri…non TTOL’ers , but so glad we were neighbours last year, and that you joined us again this year. You’ll now have to be part of our yearly trips….

To Bill and Elaine….we consider you friends….thanks for taking the time again to visit us on the beach, and doing the Tiko trip with all of us again….till next year.

To Lynette and James, surprise #2 was great. Both of you are amazing people, always smiling and enjoying life. Thanks for the couple of nights in Charlotte…. So much fun…

To John, Sue and Marissa, well, we SXM travel companions now for more than a few years now. And many more to come…would not be the same without you….party in Montreal in January ….!!!!

And finally to Bob and Pam….as I write this, I’ve decided to let my heart speak out. Pam, you are one strong lady, the only one that went shot for shot with the guys….hahaha…..but in these challenging times, we are there in spirit with you, and positive vibes are sent your way daily.

To Bob…..you stay strong my friend. I know you can beat this. And I promise you, whatever the future holds, we will be side by side on Orient Beach next summer…that I promise….Cheers my friend…..