Day 6 -- 06-19-2017

Good evening from Mont Vernon,

Today started out gray. The wind was blowing even more strongly than it usually does here on Orient Bay, and the clouds moving inland were threatening to bring rain. But even though Diana and I don’t enjoy the prospect of rain on our pilgrimage to St. Martin, we also know that it without the life giving moisture from the sky, there we be no St. Martin for us to pilgrimage to.

In stark contrast to the last time we were here, in 2015, the island this year is green and lush, and full of life. In 2015, the island was in the midst of a drought, and there was precious little green anywhere to be found anywhere on the entire island. Then, instead of the Lush green vegetation, and nearly every vibrant color of the spectrum, that the local flowering plants put on display, for us to enjoy -- there was nothing but brown.

It occurs to me that life too is full of contrasts, and like the island’s plants, you, and me too, can be lush and full of life, or you can be withered and dying. It also occurs to me that what you fill your life with, determines whether or not you will be lush and green or a withering brown and dying on the vine. And most importantly you have a choice as to which one you want to be.

It’s a God-given fact that we each have a finite time on Earth and no one knows when their life’s clock will suddenly stop. We have no control as to when our life starts or when it ends. But, we do have control over how we live it, once that precious gift is given to us.

The secret to this is simple. Your attitude. Once you realize that you, and only you, are in charge of you life things can and do change -- for the better or the worse -- it’s up to you. There is an old saying that goes something like this. “When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade.” . It sounds corny but think about it for a moment. A lemon is sour, and at least to me not very pleasant to taste. But add a little water, and sugar to the lemon, and suddenly you have something delicious.

In today’s world this simple fact seems to lost. No one wants to take responsibility for their own life. They instead expect others to provide their happiness, and to blame everybody but themselves when things don’t turn out as expected.

So with the prospect of rain and wind what would we do? We could “blow” the day off and stay hunkered in our studio, or we could do what came here for -- spending a day at the beach. We chose the beach.

It was a slow day, and not much activity was to had. But we had Orient Beach, and yes wind and rain. So when it wasn’t raining we enjoyed our strolls up and down, the beach, and when it was raining we retreated to the Perch Bar, and enjoyed talking to others, like us who decided that today we would make lemonade.

Once back “home” we enjoyed the simple pleasures of a simple meal, great love for each other, and a strong love for this place we call St. Martin.

Today, or tomorrow, life will send some Lemons your way. Will you suffer the bitter sourness of them, or will you make Lemonade?
So for now, Good Night from Mont Vernon.

Dave & Diana