Friday night was designated as "sunset night" in our plans for the week. I had looked into the restaurants in Grand Case that offered the best opportunity to view the sunset with drinks and have dinner right at the edge of the water. We had done Tastevin more than once in the past. Although it has undergone a needed modernization, I was looking for something new. Funny, I could not find a bar that offered sunset viewing. After much consideration, I went with Le Shambala. Sounds like an old Three Dog Night song. I have given away my age in previous posts, so no surprise that l remember that one.

I get the feeling that Shambala is a bit down the rankings for Grand Case, but it offers a a sandy courtyard for drinks-only as well the restaurant overlooking the bay. We we the first to arrive at 6:20. But one has to start early to see the sunset at dinner in SXM. We were given the perfect little table right on the rail -- well, dock rope actually. With water lapping up below our feet on the deck. There could not have been a better place to see the sun disappear. Trouble was it had disappeared hours before behind some uncooperative clouds. It was as if someone filmed a sunset and processed it in black and white. Still very nice lighting on the water with the sailboats silhouetted against shimmering light on the bay. Two Cosmopolitans added some color. Note to self: the sandy courtyard would indeed be an excellent place to take in a sunset with drinks only.

We did not have to move to transition into dinner. Other diners were now sprinkling in, but none had a better seat. Let me tell you, Le Shambala deserves to be right up there with the better restaurants in GC. Cappuccino with mushrooms and shrimp was our starter. This was the second time this week we had ordered cappuccino to eat, not drink. The waiter doubted we had gastronomic game and asked us, "You know that is soup, don't you." These gauche Americans probably think they are ordering coffee with their meal! "Bien sur," I haughtily responded, not giving away the fact that I had not heard such a thing before Astrolabe on Monday night. Point Ken. Delicious. Next time I will ask for decaf just to get his goat. The main course for both of us was medallions of lobster on oversized penne pasta. Amazing! The dessert to have is the tarte fine aux pomme. It takes an extra 25 minutes to prepare. But we were in no hurry. And, after all, 25 minutes is the same amount of time it takes to get the check in "les restaurants Francais." All in all, it was a marvelous night. Le Shambala deserves more business. The view certainly beats Le Cottage, and the food is equal.