Mostly lurk around here and don't post too often these days, but wanted to give some observations from our recent trip...

Chartered an Oceanis 38 monohull from Dream Yacht Charters. Nice boat, a few minor issues here and there but nothing major and no service calls. I know DYC gets mixed reviews but we've used them a few times now (twice in the BVI, once in Mexico) with no major issues. Service isn't quite on par with the Moorings but the price was good for a one year old boat - would have been prohibitively expensive through some of the other companies for just my wife and I. One criticism -- they need to improve their return procedures. There's little room on the fuel dock at Hodges Creek and both charters we've returned early in the morning to find the fuel dock full, leaving us circling for 30-40mins while we wait for instructions from DYC.

1. Great Harbor, Jost -- surprised how busy it was here (and elsewhere) during our charter. I'm accustomed to things being pretty slow in July, but this year seemed to be noticeably busier. Good thing I guess. Arrived mid-afternoon and grabbed the last mooring ball.

2. Lee Bay Great Camanoe - spent the night here for the first time. great spot! just a couple other boats. this was my wife's favorite location

3. Leverick Bay - visiting a relative that lives at Leverick, borrowed a car and drove to the Baths. First time driving instead of picking up a day mooring and highly recommend - views on the drive are spectacular, and we were able to go later in the day when there was almost nobody there, missed all the crowds

4. Anegada -- anchored south of the main anchorage and gov't dock in about 9ft of water, good more secluded alternative to the main anchorage, but a wet dinghy ride. good holding, all sand. Went to Cow Wreck for the first time in a long time (usually go to Loblolly). Facilities were great, but I think the snorkeling was better closer to shore at Loblolly. dinner at wonky dog, fantastic just like last year.

5. Saba/BEYC. rented a hobie wave and cruised around north sound. Highly recommend taking the hike up over the hill behind BEYC, spectacular views of north sound. ask at the front desk if you need directions to the hike. I think the loop took about 45mins or so.

6. Long Bay Virgin Gorda. first time spending the night here -- really glad we did! anchored in sand in about 18ft of water. secluded, nobody else in the anchorage, and snorkeling right off the boat was fantastic -- amongst the best we've seen in the BVI. also snorkeled the kodiak queen in the afternoon and first thing in the morning when everyone else was gone (was very popular during the day). this anchorage is probably only good for settled weather but is worth a look if your charter company allows it. easier than savannah I think.

7. key bay, peter island. my usual last night stop, great secluded anchorage. finding a good sandy spot to anchor can be tricky. usually we have this location to ourselves. this time there was one other boat

Other observations: Did a couple dives with Sail Caribbean Divers and a couple with Sunchaser Scuba -- both good and recommended. At some of the national park sites, we noticed charter boats picking up the commercial moorings. Not sure what the official policy is on this if they aren't in use, but seems they should at least be prepared to vacate the ball if a dive boat comes along. For example, we were going to dive the airplane wreck on great dog, but our dive boat couldn't get the mooring because it was occupied by a charter boat's dinghy (nobody onboard, divers down below, no dive flag).

Also on the subject of nps moorings, how do they check these moorings for swing room? we picked up a day mooring on the west side of great dog (near the chimney). no wind, and we ended up swinging extremely close to other boats (within a few feet). I think a couple boats may have actually collided (gently) on the balls. no huge boats -- everyone between around 38-45ft. not really a criticism, just curious if that is normal.

Overall, great trip, hit a couple new locations, overall satisfied with the experience from DYC and definitely the price we paid. Can't wait for our next.

Sean

Last edited by SeanS; 07/10/2017 02:45 PM.