Saturday 25/12/10 – Happy Christmas
Awoke to a lovely morning, I took the dingy in to use the internet at Basils Bar & Restaurant. I couldn’t resist having an order of Basil’s Toast, dipped in cinnamon batter and fried; with coffee and tip $50 EC. Upon returning to the boat we Dan had made his traditional Christmas morning breakfast of smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese, scrambled egg, capers and red onion. Everyone made the calls to home. The winds were light at first so we motored a bit before we were able to use the sails. We arrived in the Tobago Cays by 3:00 pm, our lobster BBQ had been arranged for 4:00 so I whipped together a batch of rum punch, we gathered our glasses and utensils and headed out. We always use Mr. Fabulous who never fails to provide a fine meal and is highly recommended. Some boats opt to eat on board, but we find we enjoy eating on the beach and timing our dinner to coincide with the sunset. Mr. Fabulous even threw in an extra lobster to make sure we had enough. As always there was plenty and the extra one will end up in a cold salad tomorrow. This is really an experience not to be missed; the cost is $50 US per person. The meal includes a half a lobster (they easily weigh 4 lbs +) rice, stuffed potatoes, local vegetables, and fresh fruit tray. Absolutely marvelous or should I say fabulous! The crew of Big Spirit joined us for dinner and then we all went back to their boat for beers and more rum punch. One of the reasons I love chartering with Dan & Em in not only their extensive knowledge of the Windwards and Leewards; but as Yachtmate, their yacht management and delivery company, is a sponsor of the ARC it seems that no matter how remote the anchorage we inevitably run into former clients, crew and associates which makes for great fun and comaderie. While touring Big Spirit, Kurt mentioned that due to its extremely solid construction (the boat is certified for ice) you could be below during a gale and not know it. As it turned out when we went back up top a heavy squall was blowing through the anchorage with winds in the 35 knot range. We watched in disbelief as two boats off our starboard were dragging down on the 67’ Challange yacht anchored there. One collided with the yacht, a glancing blow their sides scraping. The other disappeared into the darkness being blown beam to and heading for a lee shore. Dan and Em quickly took the dingy back to Skyelark to make sure she was OK as we were on a mooring and not our own anchor. He then returned for the rest of the crew two at a time until we were all back onboard. Let me tell you going to weather in 30 knot winds in a dingy is one heck of a ride, but with the very capable Dan at the helm we all made it back safely even if we were drenched to the bone. Additional lines were lead to the mooring and once the winds subsided we retired to the saloon for rum & gingers and a rousing game of monopoly.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!