Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (kaba, SURICK, Michel_Benarrosh, Kennys, tradewinds, JeanneB, steve74, SacoFrank, blooming, SXMScubaman, RonDon, eightzerobits, bailau, WCHam, Kevin_B, KirkB, Lucky13, LINNY, CaribbeanCanadians, GaryC, Swifty, pandpfromcanada, cbf, seeitall, RickinAtlanta, Time Will Tell, 10 invisible), 997 guests, and 60 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Gumption's Relief Fund #142053
09/10/2017 05:14 PM
09/10/2017 05:14 PM
Austin, TX
TackingAg Offline OP
Traveler
TackingAg  Offline OP
Traveler
Austin, TX
Good day, fellow TTOL'ers. There have obviously been many, many opportunities come online to help the BVI's recover from Irma. I hope they are all successfully collecting funds from throughout the world, and (most importantly) I hope those funds make it into the hands of the people who need it the most.

Those of you who are regulars on TTOL know Gumption's name and reputation. As the owner of Sea It Clear Tours, many of you may have toured Eustacia Sound on his glass bottom boat, or you may have been lucky to register for a Nature Tour on Necker Island to see the lemurs, tortoises, and flamingoes. But you will also know that he's always been in "business for good". At the best of times, he always gave deep to support the local Virgin Gorda community including the schools, Cancer Society, youth programs, and much more. As someone who works in small business, I've often thought Gumption gives TOO MUCH to others (and not enough to save for himself), but he would hate to hear me say that. smile

I met Gumption in late 2013 as he was starting his business, and then later helped him when Sea It Clear was having some website problems. That has turned into a 4-year friendship. Although I only get to see him for a couple of days every year or two, he and I exchange messages weekly if not daily.

Like so many, I was concerned when he went offline for a few days after the hurricane. But I was relieved to get word from him yesterday for the first time. True to his spirit, he has been on the streets helping others all day. He lost his entire house, but he said he is committed to helping 10 people rebuild before he worries about himself. He is happy living in a tent or with others until he sees his community improve. He is the real deal.

I told him that I would help begin raising funds to support all of his efforts, which will be a long, long road. We totally understand that it's too early in this chaotic state to figure out how to get this cash in his hands, where to spend it, and such. But I can guarantee that 100% of these funds will get in Gumption's hands, and 100% of that money will be used by him to help the people on Virgin Gorda.

While you can find his GoFundMe page directly at https://www.gofundme.com/gumptions-bvi-recovery-fund , you will also find it is on his website to show legitimacy of the campaign - http://www.seaitcleartours.com

Please GIVE and SHARE, SHARE, SHARE! This is a small world when you share within your social networks and Gumption needs a lot of support.

Best,

Kevin Bresser, aka TackingAg
Austin, TX

~~~~_/)~~~~
"The TTOL Member Map Guy"
TTOL Member Map
TTOL Member Map Form
BVI Sponsors
Re: Gumption's Relief Fund [Re: TackingAg] #142054
09/10/2017 05:52 PM
09/10/2017 05:52 PM
Austin, TX
TackingAg Offline OP
Traveler
TackingAg  Offline OP
Traveler
Austin, TX
The first anonymous contribution came in within minutes of posting this notice, and it was for $1,000! The TTOL community is amazing.

~~~~_/)~~~~
TTOL Member Map
TTOL Member Map Form
Re: Gumption's Relief Fund [Re: TackingAg] #142055
09/13/2017 10:44 PM
09/13/2017 10:44 PM
Austin, TX
TackingAg Offline OP
Traveler
TackingAg  Offline OP
Traveler
Austin, TX
General update that cell phone reception seems to be coming back on the islands. Gumption called me this afternoon, and it was great to hear his voice! He is in great spirits and reiterated that the BVI's are going to come back stronger than ever. Today was the first time he took a shower since the hurricane, and he's been busy organizing distribution centers and working in the community. Honestly, it was the first time he learned about the GoFundMe, and he was taken back from the support that he's already received. Once again, please consider giving to the GoFundMe above, as I know the money will be put to good use.

~~~~_/)~~~~
TTOL Member Map
TTOL Member Map Form