Member Spotlight
Whale Tail
Whale Tail
Ontario Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (cacapasa, Instigator), 748 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TV interview from American couple who stayed #143687
09/17/2017 08:32 PM
09/17/2017 08:32 PM
Florida
S
SueA Offline OP
Traveler
SueA  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Florida
A TV interview from an American couple who stayed at Oyster Bay Beach Resort with video. This came from the OBBR facebook page and wanted to share with everyone.

So...it has been 1 week since Ann Marie and Mientje (Mincha) defied local authority directives and got us to the airport for evacuation by US Military C-130's. How they found the buses, organized their arrival at OBBR, and got us to the airport in all that chaos is a feat of immense proportion and I will be eternally grateful. Now, with the help of a very involved corporate office, and their security and private relief supply efforts, OBBR staff still there are stable, but far from out of the woods. There are reports of stores opening back up. And that things are getting back to normal. That could not be further from the truth. St.Marten is a war zone. The situation in St. Marten is getting worse. There are no supermarkets, nothing to sell, nothing to buy. No cargo ships full of food and clothes and building materials arriving to supply the local economy. There IS NO local economy. What was there is gone and other than humanitarian aid (which I hear is still sitting on the tarmac) and some minor governmental infrastructure materials, there is no other supply chains providing the needed goods to rebuild this once vibrant country. The stores are gone and with them the livelihood of most in this tourist driven country. No Gran Marche and the other supermarkets, no gas stations, no propane refills, no diesel, no refrigeration for much of the country. No flushing of toilets and clean water availability for most of the country. (After 3 days, we all prayed for rain so that we could take a shower and wash off in the parking lot.) There is spotty communication and many tourists still stuck who were not as fortunate as us, waiting in fear with dead cellphones and no availability to get a clear understanding of how to proceed. And most of the vegetation and fruit trees are destroyed. So...it will take years for this country to come back, but it will rebuild in time.
It is easy for us to sit in our living rooms and soon forget about the dire need for action. While Money means nothing right now for the islanders, at some point in the future, there will be a rebuilding. I understand that Corporate is putting together a way for all of you to help the people of OBBR and there are some other directed charities that you can support. I am attaching a direct link to our interview on Channel 2 news in Denver this last Tuesday in addition to our GoFundMe page for directed charitable contributions to the famlies of OBBR in St. Marten. We have raised over $8,000 so far and continue to receive donations daily. In addition, Mincha and David's families (Mincha and David are still there) and I believe a few other are out of St. Marten and in need of assistance. While I hope that Corporate is reaching out to them, I am sure that any help, once they settle will be greatly appreciated. The bottom line is that the need in St. Marten is tremendous. It is your choice on how to help, but the time for talk is gone and the time for action is now. Please don't forget that the staff of OBBR and the people of St. Marten have a long road ahead.
https://www.gofundme.com/4exsac8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxWddxpx0U&feature=youtu.be
Rescued from Hurricane IRMA
John and Marily Movius appear on KWGN-TV talking about their trip to the beautiful island of St. Martin. Hurricane Irma came in and they quickly realized wha...
youtube.com

SXM Sponsors
Re: TV interview from American couple who stayed [Re: SueA] #143688
09/17/2017 08:56 PM
09/17/2017 08:56 PM
Washington, DC/SXM
Angelface Offline
Traveler
Angelface  Offline
Traveler
Washington, DC/SXM
How long ago was this post? I mean, things are obviously still horrific and awful, but they *are* getting better. Stores ARE opening back up. This is from my friend 7 hours ago. She lives on the French side (her page is public so I think I can share this):

Gas stations open
Polo FQ -
Cadisco orient bay -
dp la savanne -
blue point galisbay

Supermarkets open
Suki FQ
Super U
Chineses along agrement road
Arab by the ball field marigot

Fresh/Hot bread
Lainez bakery rambaud
Super u.

ATM Working
Bred Marigot

Cell Phone service seem to be back up and running 3G spotty

Wifi hotspots
Ballfield FQ
Roundabout cul de sac
Shopping center hope estate
Dauphin Marigot

Mainroads are still being cleared.

Some areas electricity is restored but with frequent outages.
Still no running water

We are getting there #sxmstrong #stmstrong #irma

Re: TV interview from American couple who stayed [Re: Angelface] #143689
09/17/2017 09:07 PM
09/17/2017 09:07 PM
Florida
S
SueA Offline OP
Traveler
SueA  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Florida
This was posted on Facebook yesterday at 4:36 AM and it does say a week after the hurricane.