Member Spotlight
Colour1
Colour1
Westchester /NYC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Dutchman, hathead, lookinatfifty, Lovetheocean, LuSea
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (WWII, tmsxmsails, beachy, Alltech63, Jerry_R, Fitzhughlaw, George1234, Todd_Melinda_K, Midsouth, TravelHat, 4 invisible), 857 guests, and 71 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
From Caribbean Gems #145468
10/03/2017 03:18 PM
10/03/2017 03:18 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline OP
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio
I will post the email in its entirety. I find the statement regarding the looting very disturbing and very sad if factual.

Dear Friends and Family,

About 4 weeks have passed since hurricane Irma and Maria hit the island. Things are coming back to normal, slowly but surely. Electricity and water has been restored to many parts of the island. Philipsburg and most of the residential districts have been cleaned up of debris. The fence around the airport is being rebuilt and should be completed by this week. Supermarkets, hardware stores, gas stations and many other local businesses have reopened for regular business. So things are progressing.

The Philipsburg merchants association is pushing hard to get cruise ships to come back to the island. Indications are that in November, we should start seeing some ships start coming back. However, it will take some time for the hotel and time share industry to rebuild. Many resorts were seriously damaged by hurricane Irma and from the reports circulating, almost 70% of the hotel rooms on the island (Dutch and French side) were destroyed by the hurricane. This is going to affect our business seriously because most of our clients who came and spent time on the island will not be able to do so. Most of the restaurants in Grand Case and Orient Beach were destroyed too. They are rebuilding quickly as well. So for now and the next many weeks, there are no tourists on the island.

On Front Street, the looting that the government enabled has seriously hurt the will of the business community. Both the Caribbean Gems stores were looted and due to this action our shutters and entrance doors were damaged. The looting action hurt us more than the hurricane itself. We are working hard to fix up our properties so that we can be ready for the first cruise traffic that starts in November. CG1 should be ready by November, but CG2 will take at least another two months or more to rebuild.

Despite all that has happened and the fact that we will be closed for business for so long, we have opted to keep most of our staff on a reduced payroll so that they can continue to support their households.

Though we are closed for retail business, our mail order department and internet website is working 100%. With Thanksgiving and the yearend holidays around the corner, please think of us if you need anything in the way of jewelry or watches. Referrals to your friends and family will be highly appreciated too. You can call us at 1-212-537-6529 or email us at [email]sales@caribbeangems.com.[/email] Our low prices have been reduced even further at this time to encourage sales and we are offering free shipping on all orders over $100. Please help us through this hard time to come back stronger and better.

Sincerely,
From all of us at Caribbean Gems

J.D.
SXM Sponsors
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: ruralcarrier] #145469
10/03/2017 03:34 PM
10/03/2017 03:34 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I'm not sure I understand his statement that the government 'enabled' the looting, but many business owners have reported that the looting was much worse than the hurricane. I wish them well, as well as all the other Front Street merchants.

Carol Hill
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: Carol_Hill] #145470
10/03/2017 03:41 PM
10/03/2017 03:41 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline OP
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio
Very sad if true, and it probably is. I would take it to mean they did little to stop the looting. I saw a video of a man pushing a cart down the street with a full-sized refrigerator on it. Motorcycles, scooters, tv's, etc. were all fair game as was jewelery.

J.D.
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: ruralcarrier] #145471
10/03/2017 04:17 PM
10/03/2017 04:17 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Actually I read a piece in the Daily Herald today or yesterday that said there were NINE cars stolen from the car dealership there in Cole Bay.

Carol Hill
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: Carol_Hill] #145472
10/03/2017 04:28 PM
10/03/2017 04:28 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
I read something somewhere that, even though the Dutch Marines were on island, the Prime Minister hadn't signed some sort of order/direction to the Marines to stop the looting. It was several days before that was done so looting occurred unabated until the order was signed. Then the Marines stepped in and brought order. I may not have it exactly right, but it was something like this.

[Linked Image]
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: jazzgal] #145473
10/03/2017 04:37 PM
10/03/2017 04:37 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I would not think that the Marines would be under the control of the PM anyway? There was a tremendous amount of looting in the BVI also, as the prison in the BVI was breached and all the prisoners escaped.

Carol Hill
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: jazzgal] #145474
10/03/2017 05:06 PM
10/03/2017 05:06 PM
Edam, Saskatchewan - Canada
P
PrairieGirl Offline
Traveler
PrairieGirl  Offline
Traveler
P
Edam, Saskatchewan - Canada
jazzgal said:
I read something somewhere that, even though the Dutch Marines were on island, the Prime Minister hadn't signed some sort of order/direction to the Marines to stop the looting. It was several days before that was done so looting occurred unabated until the order was signed. Then the Marines stepped in and brought order. I may not have it exactly right, but it was something like this.

My understanding is that the Dutch Marines required a signed "state of emergency" declaration from the PM to assume control. This was not done until something like Saturday, so they had no authority for security action until then.

LeAnn

url=https://www.tickerfactory.com][Linked Image][/url]
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: PrairieGirl] #145475
10/03/2017 06:17 PM
10/03/2017 06:17 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline OP
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio
Pretty sure this is what the situation was, just as you and jazzgal stated.

J.D.
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: ruralcarrier] #145476
10/03/2017 07:50 PM
10/03/2017 07:50 PM
M
mmk Offline
Traveler
mmk  Offline
Traveler
M
Seems rather odd, that in such an emergency, the PM would delay signing the order. It would appear there is corruption at every level on SXM.

Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: mmk] #145477
10/03/2017 08:09 PM
10/03/2017 08:09 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I would not say this would be a result of corruption. Some other explanation possibly, but not corruption. No possible benefit to the PM.

Carol Hill
From Caribbean Gems #145478
10/04/2017 07:59 AM
10/04/2017 07:59 AM
The Villages, FL
deputydog1157 Offline
Traveler
deputydog1157  Offline
Traveler
The Villages, FL
The police, whether here in the USA or in SXM have priorities in emergency situations such as this. A cop's first goal is to protect life. The problem is that there are only so many cops to go around and the main thing is to get to the injured and assist them. The pieces of excrement that are not injured know that they will be able to outnumber the cops so they go on their shoplifting spree. Unfortunately the looting makes the news because the media is sensationalist and what sells papers/stories better than seeing a group of dirtbags walking down the street carrying a 60 inch TV or a dozen pair of Air Jordan sneakers after smashing in the front window. The problem for the cops is that it appears that they don't care about lawlessness when in fact they despise these people. The cops are tied up searching the carnage trying to find survivors and protect people from environmental dangers. If a cop is on his way to assist victims of a disaster and sees looters he would probably yell at the criminals but still continue on to see if there is a person needing medical assistance etc. I know this first hand because I am a retired law enforcement officer with 25 years under my belt.

[Linked Image]
Re: From Caribbean Gems [Re: deputydog1157] #145479
10/04/2017 08:16 AM
10/04/2017 08:16 AM
Eastern Caribbean
Ritchard Offline
Traveler
Ritchard  Offline
Traveler
Eastern Caribbean
deputydog1157 said:
The police, whether here in the USA or in SXM have priorities in emergency situations such as this. A cop's first goal is to protect life. The problem is that there are only so many cops to go around and the main thing is to get to the injured and assist them. The pieces of excrement that are not injured know that they will be able to outnumber the cops so they go on their shoplifting spree. Unfortunately the looting makes the news because the media is sensationalist and what sells papers/stories better than seeing a group of dirtbags walking down the street carrying a 60 inch TV or a dozen pair of Air Jordan sneakers after smashing in the front window. The problem for the cops is that it appears that they don't care about lawlessness when in fact they despise these people. The cops are tied up searching the carnage trying to find survivors and protect people from environmental dangers. If a cop is on his way to assist victims of a disaster and sees looters he would probably yell at the criminals but still continue on to see if there is a person needing medical assistance etc. I know this first hand because I am a retired law enforcement officer with 25 years under my belt.

Good answer.

Working hard to be the best yacht bum I can be.