Member Spotlight
ChuckG
ChuckG
PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
mamakim
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 966 guests, and 166 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DIve BVI VG update ....great progress #145929
10/09/2017 07:27 AM
10/09/2017 07:27 AM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline OP
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline OP
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Posted and copied from their Facebook page
-------------------------------------------------------------

Update from the VG Relief Supply Fund:
Update Oct 7th, 10:45am
Good Morning!
Yesterday marked 1 month since "Irmageddon" hit our beloved BVI. I had the pleasure of being there yesterday to deliver more supplies and check in on my own employees and friends. They are all doing very well! What strong people!
Also, I went so that I could attend a VG meeting by the Tourism Board with the Premier. We had a chance to hear what the BVI anticipates for our tourism sector as well as what they will do to assist our businesses in the rebuilding phase. The room was packed and it was wonderful to see everyone! Here's what we found out as well as general updates that you should know:
- A list of what we are able to ship with out Customs Duty has been identified. We are able to ship relief and rebuilding products without charges until December 31st. At the meeting, it was discussed that while we appreciate it, we all cannot file insurance, gain bank loans, and order (or have a place to put materials) for a 1-2 year rebuild by Dec 31st. The Premier ensured us that this was something they would review and extend - even if it's on a case by case basis.
- BVI Labor Department will be cooperative on allowing skilled workers and technicians to come and assist with rebuild. We have asked for the 'red tape' to be lifted in an effort to gain quick access to rebuild. At this time, while so many of you want to assist, when you do come please ensure you have a place to stay and bring plenty of cash - many places aren't able to use cards just yet. While it's getting there, it's slow.
- Car rentals have been compromised. Numerous cars were damaged and there is a shortage of vehicles. Plan on walking for a while.
- Financial services is reinstated and the BVI Govt is doing what it can to get them back up running.
- Charter Yachts (Interline Regattas, Charter Yacht Society, etc) are being asked to come to the BVI to experience something special - "Voluntourism" - by coming to our now uncrowded beaches and islands, they are helping us get back on our feet. Well over half of pre-booked charters have decided not to cancel their trips! It's still beautiful! And visiting still helps! The land-based tourism is crippled and will be for a while but yachting is strong.
Personal note: This is SO true. My own company (Dive BVI) will be resuming recreational diving as soon as November once we have temporary space and an operational compressor with power in place.
- Virgin Gorda Airport is OPEN FOR BUSINESS! We saw the announcement this morning. ASSI has cleared it with unrestricted access. Island Birds has announced that it will be accepting reservations. We aren't sure about commercial lines yet but we will notify you with that information.
- Efforts to rebuild the island are in full swing. I found out about a group just now - rebuildvg.org - which is AMAZING! I've reached out to the organizer and will keep their info shared. Our fund here is for community development and aiding in their recovery. This one is to help REBUILD! We are SO proud! What is even better is that they have been able to file for IRS status 501(c)(3). For anyone/corporations who wish to make large contributions with tax deductions, this could be a great option. They will announce when it is through. They have containers onboard Tamarind Consolidated already!
- VGROC continues to inventory aid and donations and allows residents to come in for 5 items per person each day. Those who can afford it are shopping in the open grocery stores. While supplies are limited, we are getting back to some normality.
- Employment will be a problem for a while. Contruction will be king for a long time. Your continued support to this fund - or ANY fund and aid donations will keep residents fed and assist in rebuilding.
- Julie Swartz is leading a tremendous effort to remove recyclables from the island to ease the trash build up. We hope that residents embrace this and that this continues for a long time! It's a great way for us to legally send recycled products to the states.
VGROC has been really busy so I'll keep trying to get more info every other day or 2 to send. Our trip yesterday was very successful- delivered numerous generators, chainsaw sharpeners, large tarps, dumpster bags, cleaning supplies, etc. This is going to be our biggest need. Access to cleaning supplies and ways to remove trees and debris are priority.
Thank you so much for your CONTINUED support and love!
#VGSTRONG, #BVISTRONG, #ONEBVI
Yours,
Casey

Kim

BVI Sponsors
Re: DIve BVI VG update ....great progress [Re: Sandsailsun] #145930
10/09/2017 05:16 PM
10/09/2017 05:16 PM
ONTARIO
bvilovercgb Offline
Traveler
bvilovercgb  Offline
Traveler
ONTARIO
thank you for this great report. Honest and hopefully people bring tarps and other essentials on their holidays.