We have just returned from the Carnival Spirit six day sailing round trip from San Diego to La Paz and Cabo. This was a short cruise sandwiched between Hawaii and the Canal transit back to the Caribbean. We were part of a large group of over 300 on board for a conference.<br><br>This was my first opportunity to personally experience the 'spirit' class. What a beauty! Carnival and Joe Farcus have outdone themselves with this class. Having sailed on the 'holiday', 'fantasy' and 'destiny' class ships, the Spirit is most elegant.<br><br>Boarding was a nightmare in San Diego. This was not Carnival's regular embarkation port and on the day of embarkation, the Ryndam had the berth at the terminal building. Carnival had arranged for baggage drop off at several large tents at the pier and check in at an off site location with bus transfers to the pier for boarding. It took five hours from beginning to end. Everything was done by hand, no computers and to add insult to injury, they were not aware there was a scheduled marathon race. This pushed transfers out a couple of hours until the race was completed. They had no provision for food, water, etc. A real 'who's on first'! We were originally scheduled to sail at 9PM and ultimately pulled away from the dock about 10:30PM.<br><br>We entered the ship on deck 2, Riviera Deck. The atrium is very similar to the fantasy class, about seven decks high with gorgeous glass elevators, beautiful hard wood flooring. Most lighting is tiffany designed. There is a bar with very comfortable seating groups.<br><br>Our cabin was a balcony located on Deck 6, forward in category 8D. Typical of Carnival, very generous in size. Three full sized closets, one with a hanging clothes bar top and mid for double hanging. Another full length closet with only shelving that could be converted to hanging. The vanity had four drawers and a middle drawer. Hair dryer in the top drawer. Large vanity mirror with lighting on each side. The other side of the vanity had a cupboard over the vanity housing the safe and below was the mini bar which had to be unlocked by the cabin steward. Across from the vanity was a leather full sofa that converted to a bed and cocktail table. At the foot of the bed, on the opposite wall, there was also storage shelving with doors, albeit narrow shelves, still great to tucking away any small items out of sight! The balcony was rather small with two chairs and a small table. Below the railing was all glass. The privacy screens between balconies can be opened in the event parties traveling together have cabins next to one another and wish to open up the balcony area.<br><br>The bath was large and the shower a great improvement over older Carnival ships. Huge mirror over the sink, lots of storage, fold away small mirrow on the wall next to the sink. Amentities are now in Carnival staterooms. Also, terry cloth robes are made available for use.<br><br>The rich wood used in the cabin was quite remarkable. Most elegant.<br><br>The dining room is two tiered with large opening in the middle overlooking the lower level. Lots of tables for two up next to the rail. With the size of our group, we had the entire top level. I must say that the dining room is very, very noisy and loud. I don't know if it may have been better on the lower level as we were getting all the lower level noise in addition to our own.<br><br>I was somewhat disappointed in the food. Inconsistent! I did have excellent chateaubriand on the last night but ordered creme broule one evening that was inedible! Horrible would be better! The buffet had the standard fare with an omelett station and, of course, pizza 24 hours a day. We did not have an opportunity to try the Nouveau Super Club but would have liked to.<br><br>Can't speak to any of the on board entertainment. Never had the opportunity with meetings all day long and hosted cocktail parties each evening. After late seating dinner, I'm afraid it was to bed to recharge the battery for the following day's schedule.<br><br>The Spirit's gym and spa almost rival Celebrity brand. One of the nicest I have seen. There is a large Internet cafe area with about twenty terminals. Large area for Camp Carnival behind the main show lounge. Very interesting design.<br><br>Unfortunately, some public areas I did not have the opportunity to get to due to meeting schedules. But, overall I would rate this ship as very, very good. Service was excellent and staff very accommodating. Next year, folks on the West coast will get to experience the Spirit's sister ship, the Pride. Carnival will be moving the Elation from the Mexican Riviera itinerary to Galveston to do seven night Western Caribbean and replace the Elation with the Carnival Pride on the Riviera itinerary.

Best Regards,
Bonnie Buchanan,
Master Cruise Counselor
CruiseOne Tucson Arizona
www.cruiseone.com/bbuchanan