Well back to Chicago after a great week on Tortola. This is the first trip we have spent on land (not sailing) and it was fantastic. <br>10/19Sat.<br>We left Chicago at 6am to MIA made a connection there to STT and arrived at 2:15pm. We walked out of the airport and there were plenty of taxis waiting. We took one to the Ferry dock and found a Smiths leaving for West End at 3:30. We only bought a one-way ticket because we weren’t sure which ferry we company would use on the return trip (whichever one was going). We arrived at West End at 4:20 and were whisked through customs and immigration. There were taxis there also and we shared one with others that were going our way. We stayed at Lighthouse Villas in CGB. When we arrived the taxi could not get up the steep hill. Toni came down to meet us and informed us that Malcia was off island. She offered to bring her car down to get the luggage. We decided to try it without the car since our luggage was on wheels. We made it up the hill and were taken to room 3 which was 10 steep steps up. We went into the room and I knew we had chosen the right place. It was bright, airy and very well decorated. I could not believe the view. The room looked straight out onto CGB and the sun was just setting. The balcony had a small table and 2 chairs and a hammock. Malcia has thought of everything. The kitchen was well equipped with all appliances needed. Microwave, stove, fridge, coffee maker, toaster and yes even a blender. There is a cd/cassette player stereo, cable TV, iron and board (I don’t know why), and a hair dryer. There was a basket of amenities in the bathroom as well as a toothbrush holder. A basket containing beach towels and a can of Off were placed by the door. The furnishings are wicker and are very comfortable. The rest of the property has a “common area” with a little bar, tables and chairs and a hot tub, which was air temp. There was also a shower and bathroom area for de-sanding when you come up from the beach. We went to Quito’s for dinner at 7:00 and the food was excellent. The band did not start playing until 9:30 so we took a nap and went back down. They were really great and it felt so good to be back in CGB.<br>10/20 Sunday<br>Went to Rhymers for breakfast they have a special for $6.00 eggs, toast, juice and coffee. We rented a car from Denzil Clyne’s in West End; they came and picked us up at the Lighthouse. We drove around most of the morning checking out the island. We stopped and North South and chatted with Chandi since were also previous customers. He was telling us all that they had gotten in some newer boats. Went to the Rite Way in town and did some food shopping and then back to the beach for the afternoon. We walked down the beach and into Myett’s we saw that there was a lobster night so we made reservations for this evening. Around 4-4:30 the sand flies came out to visit and they were very hungry. We either had to stay in the water or get off of the beach. We went back to the room to watch the sunset from the balcony. We went to Myetts for the Anegada Lobster night and we had a great time. The food was really good and the band that was playing called 02 was really good. We stayed quite late and wandered back down the beach and up the hill to our room.<br>10/21 Monday (St Ursula’s Day)<br>This was just another day in paradise and very relaxing. We planned on going to Bomba’s for the Full Moon Party so we took a nap early in the evening and went out at about 9pm. We ate at the Big Banana Holding Co. The Roti was really good except the menu said chicken and I’m not sure what kind of meat was in there. We shared a taxi to Bomba’s it was $5.00 each person. We had not been to a Full Moon Party in about 4 years and things have certainly changed. They sell tickets for drinks and food. The drink tickets are $5.00 each (I think). This is so the bartenders do not have to deal with the cash. Bomba sits inside the shack now and there were stands lining the street with souvenirs, hot dogs, popcorn and of course mushrooms. There was table’s set up as bars along the side of the road also. There were 2 bands playing and it sounded very loud. One band was in the shack and the other was across the street but they kind of conflicted with each other. Apparently there are 2 servings of the tea one at 9PM and one at Midnight. There were signs posted saying that the tea is not as powerful as it once was. When purchasing the tickets for the drinks there is something about a tea mug for $10.00 and someone led us to believe that you have to buy a mug to get tea. This is not true. They were actually out of the mugs and gave us Styrofoam cups when the tea was served. We went back about 1:30 and the party had thinned out. The local people told us that there were about a third of the people that would be there during the season.<br>Here are the highlights of the rest of the trip; I realized if I kept going it could take up a lot of pages!<br>Dinners were at Capriccio Di Mare in town, The Pub, Sugar mill and Palms Delight. <br>Mrs. Scatliffes, Brandywine, C&F were all still closed. <br>We spent a lot of time driving around and went to Josiah’s Bay beach there was huge surf here, Long Bay, Brewers and of course CGB. <br>Quito played solo on Tuesday and Thursday and with the band on Friday and Saturday.<br>We went to Hodges Creek Marina for lunch and spent a day at their freshwater pool. The food at the Calamaya restaurant was very good.<br>We walked around town and did some shopping.<br>The return trip was just as easy. Since we rented the car from Denzil it was in West End so we took the car back and he drove us to the ferry dock. We caught a 10:00 ferry on Native Son back to STT. When arriving in STT you claim your bags and go through customs and immigration. We did not have a flight until 2:40 and wanted to leave our bags at the ferry terminal. I had been reading the thread on to ferry or not to ferry so I was a little concerned about leaving our bags. When we got off the ferry we went outside and were greeted by what felt like 100 taxi drivers all trying to take our bags. Instead we walked along the building and back into the place where you purchase tickets. I then spoke to a representative of Native Son and asked them to watch our bags. They were more than happy to do it. I also gave him a tip. We went into ST. Thomas and shopped for a couple of hours and then took a taxi to the ferry dock. The gentleman was waiting for us and gave us our bags and we were off to the airport. This airport has really changed! We checked into AA and were told to claim our bags after we went through the doors to the boarding area. We showed our tickets and then walked into a baggage claim area where we picked up our bags and went through x-ray machines, customs and immigration. We then were instructed to put our bags onto a luggage belt so they could be taken to the plane. We then exited this area and had to go through security again on the other side. They re-x-rayed our carry on luggage and then we were in the terminal. This whole process was very fast and only took about 20 minutes. The good thing about this is we flew through Miami and did not have to clear customs and immigration there; we came into a domestic gate. We had a very nice trip and it was sure different spending a week on the island instead of sailing around. <br>If anyone has any questions please post them. I would be happy to answer them<br>

[Linked Image]