I spent five days at Desert Sun last weekend. The issue of children is being discussed elsewhere, so I won't talk about it here. The only major change since the last time I was at the resort is the completion of the "Loggia" area adjacent to the quiet pool, which was being built when I was there.

It looks very nice, with lots of couches for seating, a second fire pit, and some overhead heaters, so it should be warm enough to use nude on all but the coolest days. Some people here have expressed concern about people in the pool being uncomfortable because of folks sitting there, but I don't see that. The chairs on the two short ends of the pool are mostly pointing at the pool and quite close to it. The seats in the new area point both in that direction and 90 degrees to the pool and are further back from it. So I don't see how people sitting there would make folks swimming uncomfortable compared to folks sunning in the existing chairs.

There are two downsides, though. One is the loss of a grassy and garden area, which is missed by those who like natural surroundings. And the way the roof is set up, it ends the sun in the pool a little earlier than before it was built.

I was going to report back on the success of the "cool decking" around the main pool, restaurant, and office area. It wasn't that hot yet that weekend, so it's hard to tell, but it did seem a little cooler. However, that surface is definitely more abrasive to bare feet than what was there before, so I think it's somewhat of a wash.

There's a new bar between the hot tub and the quiet pool. It didn't see much use when I was there (though I'm told there's often a line for it), but the cocktail waitress that works there often uses it as a base for serving drinks around the pools. Speaking of waitresses, there are at least two of them that now work topless, which makes some people more comfortable. However, I did see more guests covering up when walking around than I did last year.

There's one very surprising piece of news. They've now bought a limo to transport guests (e.g., to and from the airport). I didn't see the actual limo, but a picture in the office shows a very fancy interior. The surprising news is that the driver is none other than Jack (sometimes called Captain Jack or Pirate Jack)! For those who don't know, he's gone back to Jehova's Witness and is no longer a nudist. He's shaved his beard, removed his jewelry and can now pass drug tests. Since he lives right across the street, this is obviously very convenient.

The hotel (but not condos) was sold out that weekend and I understand it was the case for a number of previous weekends. The pricing has been adjusted to lower the price of the smallest condos (the villas) and occupancy of those is going up. It's getting into the low season now, so I'd expect both condo and hotel occupancy to be somewhat lower for the next few months. I'll be there twice more this summer and will post again if there's anything significant new, but I doubt it.