RonDon 85
fabila 47
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (steve74, toast, SXMNAN, bbeach, 706jim, TravelHat, fabila, SXMScubaman, Kennys, GeorgeC1, YachtReprise, scott1269, SXMBND, MNsnowbird, 10 invisible), 788 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
seeking a little insight/perspective #152330
01/14/2018 12:51 PM
01/14/2018 12:51 PM
Tyler, TX
Mdsmurph Offline OP
Traveler
Mdsmurph  Offline OP
Traveler
Tyler, TX
Greetings fellow TTOLers! Let me begin by saying that we (wife and I) love the BVI and have visited several times both land based and bareboat charter so the insight I am seeking is not a sales pitch to come this season because we will always come back..We are just seeking some insight into our predicament and advice for those that have chartered post IRMA (particularly with children). Heres our situation.. The couple that we have bareboated with in the past is not willing to come this year so we are toying with the idea of making a trip this July or Aug that would just be us and our 12 yr old son. He has visited the BVIs before when we have been land based but never bareboated. I am thinking about a power cat this trip because I will essentially be single handing with a little bit of docking help from wife/son. With so much devastation particularly in North Sound, I am wondering peoples thoughts on a childs first trip with Bitter End/ Saba Rock out of the picture (we are not big fans of Scrub Island) and a lot of places not yet at full service capacity.. I am also slightly concerned about safety on beaches (debri etc ) as well as not being the only boat in a mooring field for safety reasons. We enjoy snorkeling so our itinerary would be planned around that for the most part as well as a trip out to Anegada. It may be nice for just the three of us to enjoy the BVI when the crowds are substantially down and dont have to worry about mooring fields filling up so early. On the other hand, maybe we should wait until next year (and choose a different Caribbean locale this year) when more progress has been made and there maybe a touch more to offer especially for him. Any thoughts from those that have recently been down with children are appreciated. Thanks
Wayne

BVI Sponsors
Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152352
01/14/2018 03:44 PM
01/14/2018 03:44 PM
Buffalo, NY
LauraTheTshirtGal Offline
Traveler
LauraTheTshirtGal  Offline
Traveler
Buffalo, NY
I have been following a ton on FB pages and I haven't seen anything that would make me question doing what you want to do. The swimming in CGB is the only sketchy thing right at the moment and that is due to the water quality which they are addressing I guess. It seems all of the snorkel spots are still amazing, maybe get a fishing license for the boat as well. The Baths of course. Leverick Bay is coming along nicely. Looks like Gumption is at least currently running his nature tour and by the summer even more progress. Kayaks and other toys are for rent. I never took my kids to the Bitter End so I'm not sure that would enter into my decision making, did they miss something spectacular I don't know about? laugh

Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152357
01/14/2018 04:06 PM
01/14/2018 04:06 PM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
I would expect it will be very quiet in July and close to dead in August when businesses traditionally close for the season. Be prepared to eat most meals on board. As far as safety I would not be concerned. Opportunistic thieves are not likely to seek out isolated coves with one or two boats. They will go with the easy pickings close in.

Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152360
01/14/2018 04:26 PM
01/14/2018 04:26 PM
Macon, Georgia
GlennA Offline
Traveler
GlennA  Offline
Traveler
Macon, Georgia
I would not consider any later than the last week of July. After that things start to close up. You will not be alone then either. I expect some bargain charter prices about then. Might consider letting your son invite a friend (or two) along. Leverick, Pirates in the Bight, much of Great Harbor and White Bay and all of Anegada should be 75 to 80% back close to normal. Possibly even TOO recovered. It will take several years to recover the funky patina of the old beach bars.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain
Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152367
01/14/2018 05:58 PM
01/14/2018 05:58 PM
Tyler, TX
Mdsmurph Offline OP
Traveler
Mdsmurph  Offline OP
Traveler
Tyler, TX
thanks for input; we may be relegated to first week in August due to our schedules if we decide to pull the trigger... A little worried about going in August due to too many closures (we like to dinners on shore) and possibility of tropical storms or even God forbid a hurricane... I am not sure what we are gonna do; what are yalls thoughts on first week in August? too late ?

Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152368
01/14/2018 06:10 PM
01/14/2018 06:10 PM
Macon, Georgia
GlennA Offline
Traveler
GlennA  Offline
Traveler
Macon, Georgia
Traditionally things don't start closing enmass until the second week of August. The first week is emancipation festival on Tortola with nightly concerts, a parade and wakeup tramp.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain
Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152372
01/14/2018 06:35 PM
01/14/2018 06:35 PM
Tyler, TX
Mdsmurph Offline OP
Traveler
Mdsmurph  Offline OP
Traveler
Tyler, TX
Thanks Glenn, Yeah I saw that it was government holidays on that first few days of the week and figured Carnival would be going on. My wife has made it clear that she won't be doing any nightime cooking so the restaurant closings are a big deal to us.

Re: seeking a little insight/perspective [Re: Mdsmurph] #152448
01/15/2018 11:29 AM
01/15/2018 11:29 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
I have chartered as late as the first week of September and still found enough restaurants open to eat ashore every night. I think August will be fine and places that traditionally close may stay open a bit longer since many lost the beginning of the season.

Last year in August we were still seeing about 12 boats in CGB each night. This year will be less but likely still people to be around.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com