Member Spotlight
Southshore
Southshore
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (IWIWSE, ChiTownHarry, WWII, Billtjw, Kennys, Fran, cabokid, SteveH, lcote, eightzerobits, Leagle49, fabila, MKGrey, timnboston, jenniboston, deputydog1157, Jaybird, KC2SXM, steve74, Zanshin, Tom, boucharda, Jc1925, tradewinds, Beansbbq, 6 invisible), 920 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Antigua to date...... #156278
03/07/2018 03:56 PM
03/07/2018 03:56 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
March second - driver arrived on time at 4:45 and we beat feet to JFK. Our trip in and JFK arrival were cake and check-in was a breeze. We met up with our friends in the departure lounge and we are ready, set go! They started the boarding process at 7:15 and we were up, up and away on time. St. James Club Villas, Antigua, here we come.

I will say, I really missed the AA 757’s we typically fly to SXM. Our bird to Antigua was an older model 737 and it was the pits which might (or might not?) explain why Business Class was so inexpensive? The seats were hard and close and breakfast was meh! A little turbulence on take off and we were up, up and away. It was a relatively smooth flight and I’m glad we didn’t let the weathermen convince us to change our departure. From the sounds of the reports I’m hearing down here, many of the later flights were ultimately cancelled so we lucked out all around.

Arrival was easy and because one of our friends required a wheelchair we got to board and deplane early and we were whisked through Antiguan Customs and Immigration in no time flat and by the time we were done our luggage was already coming off the carousel so we were literally out of the airport in minutes.

The ride to the resort, the St. James Club Villas, took about 25 minutes since we are about at the farthest from the airport you can be and still be on island.

First impressions - the Island is very tidy and neat and the people we have encountered have all been lovely.......soft spoken and extremely friendly. And smiling!! The homes we passed were well maintained and no litter or junked cars on the sides of the road.

Our resort is lovely and the timeshare unit we’re in is an extremely nice two bedroom two bath suite, though I’m guessing all units are the same here. In all honesty, the SXM timeshare properties I’ve seen, which would be many of them, could take a serious lesson. And the AMFs here are extremely reasonable for what they provide.

The property is good sized and has many dining venues and two distinctly different beach areas. We’re on the Mamora Bay side and the beach in the bay is well protected by a reef with no waves at all. They do a very reasonable all-inclusive program which includes all meals and snacks, as well as high tea every day and all liquor and drinks at a price of US $900.00 per couple per week. The food is beyond adequate but I have to say, it’s not like dining in St. Maarten. Breakfast is the typical breakfast buffet with an egg and omelet station and lunch and dinners are full buffets daily, some themed and some not. I will admit, last night was an International presentation of Indian meals and I discovered I am not a fan but there were plenty of other options as well. The ice cream is yummy and the drinks top shelf. There are also at least two (and perhaps more.) restaurants that do a la carte menus for dinner which are very good, too. The resort features a golf cart resort wide transport system where, by dialing the Front Desk, a cart will be dispensed to take you anywhere within the resort. There was a resort wide cocktail party Monday evening and on Wednesday evening, a timeshare owners cocktail party. Gifts were given at the resort-wide evening through a room number drawing and they were very generous, ranging from a Colombian Emeralds bracelet to a weeks stay including airfare and all inclusive options for two, not to mention the lesser gifts of a Spa day for two and water options of daysails and sunset cruises. Needless to say, it was very well attended. And the hors d’oerves were good as well!

It may be just my imagination, but the temperature feels a little higher, the water a tad warmer and the sun, for sure, seems a bit more intense than what we’re used to in St. Maarten but believe me, it’s all good.

So far we’ve done beaching every day with plans to do some site-seeing down the road.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Sponsors
Re: Antigua to date...... [Re: pat] #156280
03/07/2018 04:33 PM
03/07/2018 04:33 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report! Sounds great so far! I know you were really wanting to get somewhere warm, so glad to hear it's working out well so far.

Carol Hill
Re: Antigua to date...... [Re: pat] #156283
03/07/2018 05:15 PM
03/07/2018 05:15 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for the report. Sounds very good so far.

J.D.
Re: Antigua to date...... [Re: pat] #156286
03/07/2018 05:37 PM
03/07/2018 05:37 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
I can't believe the price. Does the $900/couple include the room? Or is that just the food?

[Linked Image]
Re: Antigua to date...... [Re: jazzgal] #156297
03/07/2018 09:29 PM
03/07/2018 09:29 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Linda,

We are with friends who own but their AMFs are only 915.00 per week for a two bedroom unit with an incredible terrace and views as well. The AI option is $450.00 pp and includes ALL meals, drinks including wines and top shelf alcohol and non-motorized water sports. I think this may be an exclusive deal only available to owners and their guests.

Even the bathroom linens are great - big fluffy bath sheets and hand towels almost the size of normal bath towels. And when the maid stopped back this afternoon she wanted to know if we had enough coffee and sugar. They replenish it daily and she’d forgotten to check if we needed more. WOW!

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Antigua to date...... [Re: pat] #156329
03/08/2018 10:18 AM
03/08/2018 10:18 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
And the view from the terrace

[Linked Image]

And the drive up beach bar!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 03/08/2018 04:57 PM.

Carol Hill
Re: Antigua to date...... [Re: pat] #156373
03/08/2018 04:58 PM
03/08/2018 04:58 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
Thanks for the reply, Pat. Your view is magnificent!

[Linked Image]