Member Spotlight
ameless
ameless
Washington State
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Todd, xrayman67, lbksxm, Fitzhughlaw, RatmansWife, Jspoone, luvtotravel, JandIrene, jbutah, charlie, SXMScubaman, BHK, CaribbeanCanadians, hokiesailor, KirkB, timnboston, 706jim, MamaB, Todd_Melinda_K, JohnW, lcote, marisol, Kennys, dennis623, Steve27, Swifty, Whale Tail, jaxon60, marybeth, jagmansr, 7 invisible), 771 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
just returned trip post part one #156478
03/10/2018 09:05 AM
03/10/2018 09:05 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
Our stay at Beachsidevillas was the best tip we've had in 38 years on island. I don't have to tell you about this place because Carol Hill has told of its beauty many times and she's right on the money. At first I though we had a problem for they said they didn't have a reservation for us. Found out after searching that they'd booked it under my email address name (my maiden name). We rented a 1BR on the water however, we couldn't walk the beach. Waves crashed against villa making for peaceful lulling sound to sleep but left not a strip of sand until low tide. Storms at sea made lots of big waves. Hundreds of boat anchored out front long after regatta was over. Another repeat guest said she'd never seen so many there, just the dark bottom yacht that's always there. Cruise ships cancelled due to swells and made port elsewhere.

At some point during our stay the road in near SBB flooded, other side had seaweed indicating water had been on that side too. This limited our coming & going one day. But we did get out eventually.

After checking in we decided to go to Cole Bay Carrefor for supplies. To avoid the bridge opening we took the causeway and was stuck 45 mins. We eventually made a 3 point turn when we found road divider missing (as did many others) and headed to Carrefore in Porto Cupecoy. Knowing their prices were higher, we bought the basics. Later in week we tried several times to get to store near Mark's Place but never found parking. We eventually passed Super U on our travels and stocked up there. Super U has raised prices. Maybe because they're the only market on the French Side? The Carrefore in ole Bay is just a shell. Don't know if it will rebuild.

As usual all the pre made plans went out with the tide and we vegged out in the unit. We did eat out a few times. Once at LaVilla in GC one of 4 places open. Had to see Christopher & Florence. We both had traditional onion soup & Grouper. Delicious as usual. Mario's for our anniversary. Hubby had fillet with blue cheese and I had duck. We started with a creamed onion soup. Broth had a touch of lite cream. A long slice of baguette with melted cheese was served on the side instead of in the soup as usual. Delicious. I was almost glad the place wasn't crowded because Mario chatted with us for a long time about the perils of the island etc. And I managed to get the receipt for that soup!

The best meal was at Altro, also in Porto Cupecoy, next to Mario's. Bridget & Christopher formally of Sol e Lune run it. They offer a 3 course fixed priced menu $26. We both chose eggplant & garbanzo salad to start. Hubby had Chicken Carbonara for his main dish and I had lamb. Both to die for but his was nice & creamy with cheese. Dessert was Mohito lime sherbet topped with meringue and I had chestnut & fig crumble. Lots of other choices like gazpacho with shrimps, tartare, a fish of the day. I should have taken a menu photo.

We had breakfast once at El Zafiro. And cocktails at happy hour. Lots of South Americans staying there. One group were the dancers at Karakters Latin Salsa Night. Near made it to Mary's Boon. Heard restaurant had re opened and one man said it was good. But he'd not eaten elsewhere so nothing to compare it too. Said service was slow.

Toured island. Still lots of devastation. Total roof collapse into foyer at Great Bay Hotel. Belair and Divi looked good. Construction ongoing. Was shocked when we got to GCBC. Just a slab where Sunset Cafe used to be. All the walkway & pavilion gone Buildings that face Anguilla lost roofs. Couldn't see front area for beach was blocked off for construction safety, Steve Wright said plan to open Oct. 1st but it didn't look it to me.

We didn't eat out as much as past trips because I use a Hilton Honors card for points and just before we left they changed it to American Express which is not taken most places we've found out. Hubby kept giving away our cash when he asked individuals if they had house damage. All they had to do was tear-up and out came the wallet. Dutch are fairing better than the French. Spoke to a man who brokers boats at Marina Royal and he said funds are in France but Miteron won't release them to SXM. He said people have to go through many different lines to present papers only to have to return to the first line, thus going in circles.

Other places we ate were: Yacht Club for breakfast after regatta was over. Blue Bitch on P'burg boardwalk for $8 rib special.

I have more to write but can't remember at the moment. After coffee I'll check my notes. Or if someone has questions maybe I can answer. Lots of photos that I don't know how to post.

Rosemary.

SXM Sponsors
Re: just returned trip post part one [Re: RonDon] #156479
03/10/2018 09:16 AM
03/10/2018 09:16 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Glad you enjoyed yourselves! Sorry about the waves, that you couldn't walk the beach. Hopefully you had the chance to hang out at the gazebo by the pool, which is one of my favorite places on earth!! Very unusual wave conditions while you were there. There are directions about how to upload pictures to the photo gallery in the FAQ. If you can't figure it out, email them to me on Monday. My email address is in my profile.

Was the three course meal at Altro lunch or dinner? That seems an awfully good price for three courses for dinner.

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 03/10/2018 09:35 AM.

Carol Hill
Re: just returned trip post part one [Re: RonDon] #156483
03/10/2018 09:37 AM
03/10/2018 09:37 AM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
FYI - prices at all Carrefour stores are the same. Just like they were when it was Grand Marche.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: just returned trip post part one [Re: RonDon] #156485
03/10/2018 10:01 AM
03/10/2018 10:01 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
Carol that was for DINNER. They are not open for lunch. I'll check when I have time for those photos. Haven't even unpacked yet.

Re: just returned trip post part one [Re: RonDon] #156486
03/10/2018 10:03 AM
03/10/2018 10:03 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
PS Carol, we spent time at pool every day but after 3pm when we could get chairs in shade for the covered area was occupied every day all day by a family of 8. That area is beautiful and the pool is great.

Re: just returned trip post part one [Re: RonDon] #156487
03/10/2018 10:17 AM
03/10/2018 10:17 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Huh, ok, we've never had that issue when we stayed there. Could always sit in the shade when I wanted to.

Carol Hill
Re: just returned trip post part one [Re: Carol_Hill] #156490
03/10/2018 10:59 AM
03/10/2018 10:59 AM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Ditto, but I've never been there in March. It's usually July or October and November. Makes it feel as if we own the place! lol

Thanks for posting the report. Like Carol said, if you need picture help I can assist...up to a limit! Sounds as if you may have a lot. wink

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink