Member Spotlight
kim
kim
Newtown, CT
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
27 registered members (Whale Tail, ARC, snman31, JeanneB, RatmansWife, Kennys, SXMScubaman, PML, xrayman67, YachtReprise, ambmike, jrw, Instigator, NumberCruncher, Lionsail, eightzerobits, OceanSong, Zanshin, jeepers, SteveH, SURICK, MNsnowbird, cabokid, 4 invisible), 903 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
trip part two #156493
03/10/2018 11:41 AM
03/10/2018 11:41 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
Our arrival: down airplane steps to tarmac across to tent for immigration then walked right to another tent for luggage. Ours was on the third van. Met Leslie of Kenny's Car rental under palm tree. He is well. Got car and off to BSV.

Airport departure was just as easy. Airline reps under a tent. Into a building? Or was it another tent? for TSA then counter to check luggage and thru to a prefab bldg to wait for boarding. This area has a shop, food and bathrooms. I actually enjoyed the airport process more than thru the old bldg. It was quick, efficient due to reduced # of flights.

At BSV we followed their rule of turning off AC when not in villa. It didn't take long for unit to cool upon return. Nice breeze with doors opened. In fact we slept without AC. Ceiling fans were enough. Hubby's arms too short to reach the pad at security gate so I had to always leave car to punch in the code to open property gate. Staff very warm & helpful. Tuesday we found out from a vendor in P'Burg that Wed. & Thurs. flights had been cancelled due to storm in NY . Marve said "no problem" even though BSV does not take credit cards and we weren't sure how many more days we'd have to stay with very little cash and no checkbook with us. Our phone didn't work and Marve tried repeatedly to get Jet Blue on line for us to no avail. Went to airport and was told JB reps would be there on Wed 11am or maybe noon to manage flights. Wed. morning before heading back to airport had Marve check internet again and saw flight was rescheduled.

Off to La Sucreire for croissants & coffee out on deck overlooking lagoon. On to P'burg. Merchants the know told us they weren't sure they'd survive. Said the cruise passengers don't buy and they had depended on hotel TS guests but with hotels destroyed they didn't think they could hold out until repaired. Lots of closed shutters even tho' ships in port. All the jewelry stores were open. Saw Jeff at hubby's fav. store (I don't remember name---he's the shopper, not me) to check for a signet ring for him.

I mentioned wild seas. One day in Marigot we were turned back due to waves crashing over street up to Vie en Rose. We' had to change our lunch plans and headed back toward town from waterfront. Traffic was horrendous due to this detour and lots of side streets closed due to construction and debris. We stopped at Super U and bought wine, pate, fruit, baguette for lunch back at our villa. Was told the last of the Tuesday Harmony nights was to be cancelled so we didn't even try to go.

Chesterfield's did not meet the projected March 1 reopening and doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. We love that place. Road to Chesterfied's and past to cruise ship dock area one lane due to open trench. Not sure what they're doing for we saw no-one.

Villa at BSV well appointed, emasculate, cleaned every day. Fluffy towels, large beach towels. Everything we needed and didn't use, large fridge, gas stove, toaster oven, blender, microwave.

I mentioned we'd eaten breakfast at El Zafiro. Hubby had the 3 egg plate ordered over easy got scrambled didn't complain. I ordered the 2 pancake plate got 3. 1coffee, 1 OJ bill $26.45 service included. Our dinner at Altro also had service included for $26 per person. Glass of wine or a bottle of water $7 so figured might as well drink wine. Ha!

Our groceries at Carrefore Porto Cupecoy was $89.19 USD for 1 baguette, 1 romaine, 1 tomato, 1 bottle salad dressing, Edam cheese slices, 1 Roti chicken, 2 bottles water 4 small bottles of Ting, i small Etna Rhum Raisin ice cream 1 lb coffee 1 box cereal. At Super U we spent $16.00 USD for duck Pate, Normanville LT Cru cheese wedge, seasoned olives, bottle of Rose wine, 1 baguette, and 4 bottles water. Guess we'll be shopping there again next visit. Another visit back to Carrefore at Porto Cupecoy for Douwe Ebert coffee (Dutch) that we love and not sold at Super U. Bought 2 bricks of it at $11 per. Also wanted Ting and found only 1 bottle on shelf so asked if they had more. Boy went to get 2 more. At check-out paid $1 for the shelf one and $2 each for the other two was told because they were cold.

There's a market in Maho at the round about that has a cooked food tray with fried chicken, jonny cakes, veggie etc priced by the pound but we didn't buy. We stopped for the butter we'd forgotten one 1st visit to Carrefore. Nice store but limited. We should have gone there upon arrival for the basics. Hubby got the Daily Herald there.

That's about it for now unless another forgotten morsel pops into my head.

SXM Sponsors
Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156494
03/10/2018 11:46 AM
03/10/2018 11:46 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
PS Carol formally of L'Estimente was nowhere to be seen. The store she's at in Oyster Pond was leveled. BHZ crepes next door didn't look damaged from the road but it wasn't open.

Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156498
03/10/2018 12:08 PM
03/10/2018 12:08 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Sounds lovely. And wine is always cheaper than water or soda! lol I don't complain.

We use that Maho Market for our initial necessities. Also when staying at BSV if I don't feel like cooking, hubby goes up to the buffet for breakfast items. Good scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes, etc. It's filling, and I didn't have to do anything! I also like their lunchtime offerings, as there is curry and peas-n-rice. I also get baguettes there, and some fruits. Just closer and easier to where we stay.

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156502
03/10/2018 12:43 PM
03/10/2018 12:43 PM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
Happily, the last Tuesday in Grand Case was not cancelled. Pictures showed a lot of folks having fun in the streets! And all the shops I know charge more for cold drinks. Refrigeration costs big $! Glad you found Super U, great store!

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: trip part two [Re: BillandElaine] #156517
03/10/2018 06:59 PM
03/10/2018 06:59 PM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Happily, the last Tuesday in Grand Case was not cancelled. Pictures showed a lot of folks having fun in the streets! And all the shops I know charge more for cold drinks. Refrigeration costs big $! Glad you found Super U, great store!

Now I'm sorry we missed it. About the Ting--- I can understand the refrigeration cost but when I asked about the shelf item I didn't know when the boy went to get more that he got them from the refrigerator case. I never touched the added bottles since it was at the cashier and by the time we got back to our unit they were warm. I only thought they should have said they had no ore on shelf or that only available in refrigerator case. Just thought I'd clarify why the surprise.

Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156525
03/10/2018 08:36 PM
03/10/2018 08:36 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Glad you discovered Super U. We buy a good percentage of our groceries there these days. Glad you got your trip home figured out, with Marvlyn's help!

Carol Hill
Re: trip part two [Re: Carol_Hill] #156537
03/11/2018 09:38 AM
03/11/2018 09:38 AM
Connecticut
The_Lurker Offline
Traveler
The_Lurker  Offline
Traveler
Connecticut
Where is Super U?
We usually do all our shopping at the Maho Market and the one
at the end of Billy Folly Rd.

I thought the grocery store at Porto Cupecoy had a different name???

All these years and we we usually hit little markets that we are near for basics.
We don't cook much. Maybe eggs, cereal and soup.

Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156539
03/11/2018 09:43 AM
03/11/2018 09:43 AM
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
GaKaye Offline
Traveler
GaKaye  Offline
Traveler
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
When I chatted with Carole in early November, she indicated that they were working hard to get the restaurant open. I wonder what changed? I know the French side will have new regulations that don't seem to be quickly forthcoming.

Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156541
03/11/2018 10:00 AM
03/11/2018 10:00 AM
J
jimnjudy Offline
Traveler
jimnjudy  Offline
Traveler
J
Our very first trip to SXM we discovered Ting. We've never heard of it before and got totally hooked on it! Finally, back home we were prepared to go through Ting withdrawal...and then..we discovered our local grocery store, five blocks away, sold Ting for just under a buck Canadian! Every time we slug back a cold Ting we think of SXM As for the cold part, I remember in 1975 being in the U.K during a summer that was their worst heat wave in 88 years. I went in to a little ship in York and asked for a COLD Coke. The clerk reached behind and handed me one off the shelf. I replied that, no, I wanted a cold one. The clerk disappeared through a door and I followed him. I peaked around the door and saw him take a coke off a shelf in the other room and then came back and handed it to me. I just gave up, replied, " that's better" , paid and left, shaking my head.

Re: trip part two [Re: The_Lurker] #156545
03/11/2018 10:15 AM
03/11/2018 10:15 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Super U is in Marigot, where Match used to be, years ago. Oh, and it's right next to the McDonalds in Marigot, if you know where that is! laugh

Carol Hill
Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156548
03/11/2018 10:29 AM
03/11/2018 10:29 AM
B
Bahston Offline
Traveler
Bahston  Offline
Traveler
B
I love Ting, but it may not be the best choice for some who are on blood pressure medications. If you are, check your meds for a warning about grapefruit.

Re: trip part two [Re: Bahston] #156557
03/11/2018 11:54 AM
03/11/2018 11:54 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline OP
Traveler
RonDon  Offline OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
Originally Posted by Bahston
I love Ting, but it may not be the best choice for some who are on blood pressure medications. If you are, check your meds for a warning about grapefruit.

Glad you mentioned that. Doc told hubby he couldn't take it while on Lititor but he never said anything about the BP meds Lisinopril. I'll have to check.

We discovered Ting on a day trip from SXM to St Kitts. Waiting for return flight hubby said he was very thirsty and the native waitress ask if he would like "someting". He said yes but I don't know what. She said have someting. This went on for awhile then she said wait, left, returned with a bottle of Ting. We thought she was saying Have some thing but with an accent.

Re: trip part two [Re: RonDon] #156559
03/11/2018 12:10 PM
03/11/2018 12:10 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
That is HILARIOUS! Some ting!

Like, what is our room number?
Tree.
Huh?
Tree.
Um, is it like a tree house or something?
3!!!

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: trip part two [Re: BeachKitten] #156568
03/11/2018 01:23 PM
03/11/2018 01:23 PM
Maine
SXMbeacher Offline
Traveler
SXMbeacher  Offline
Traveler
Maine
I love listening to the female traffic controller on the Maho beach cam............. Climb to tree tree zero, LOL.