Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (mark37, 5 invisible), 1,046 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Playa Del Carmen #156540
03/11/2018 09:57 AM
03/11/2018 09:57 AM
PA
D
DandG Offline OP
Traveler
DandG  Offline OP
Traveler
D
PA
We're booked at Valentin Imperial just north of Playa Del Carmen April 21st.

I had planned on taking the ferry over to Cozumel but with all the turmoil I think that excursion is out.
Has anyone been to the area within the last few months and have any recommendations?

Needless to say with the alcohol and bombing problems I have some trepidations!!!

Thanks

Sponsors
Re: Playa Del Carmen [Re: DandG] #156571
03/11/2018 02:47 PM
03/11/2018 02:47 PM
PDC, Mexico
bugambilias Offline
Traveler
bugambilias  Offline
Traveler
PDC, Mexico
Originally Posted by DandG
We're booked at Valentin Imperial just north of Playa Del Carmen April 21st.

I had planned on taking the ferry over to Cozumel but with all the turmoil I think that excursion is out.
Has anyone been to the area within the last few months and have any recommendations?

Needless to say with the alcohol and bombing problems I have some trepidations!!!

Thanks

We are here now and have been here, in Playa, since November. My opinion is that your fears are unfounded.

We live here half the year. We own a condo, drive our car around town and travel near and far in the three states that comprise the Yucatan. Can't begin to tell you how many of our wonderful NOTB friends have contacted us about this. One friend actually claimed she heard that "bombs were going off in our neighborhood." Others are asking about the Narco Terrorism attacks on the Ferries. While we appreciate their concern and are very sorry for the injured people, we are completely flabbergasted at the concept. Except for the (one) ferry explosion we all are completely unaffected by any of this.

A friend of a friend has written a sort of response to the Super Sensational News Reports. it covers your concerns about the explosion and devices attached to idle ferries kilometers away from people and allegations of tainted alcohol. Hopefully you will read it and understand from a different, local, viewpoint which is, after all, exactly what you asked for.

SHARING IT HERE:

cancunmap.com
March 9 at 11:50am ยท
I'm not putting this out for debate. I am sharing a well written statement prepared by someone who lives in Playa del Carmen Mexico. I did not write this. Copy and share all you like!

I copy this here with the respect and ok of a fellow Playense

I have LIVED here (not just visited) for 15 years (celebrated this week) and feel as safe today as I did when I first moved here. Actually, with the new government in charge and its anti-corruption/crime campaign, I actually feel safer. And, I have a wife and two kids. I have choices. I could easily move to somewhere else in Mexico or back to the States but I know that this area is much safer than the vast majority of places that people visiting here come from. My interaction with organized crime is nil. The amount of times I have been a victim of a crime is nil. My house was broken into when I lived in Cancun some 18 years ago. The experiences of the people I work with and the over 500 students (mostly adult) who study here will mirror mine.
The sensationalism and panic come from outside this area. The people looking in from outside believe a few incidents make for an environment. Gangsters getting shot by other gangsters because they didn't pay their gangster dues would not even make the news in many parts of the world but let it happen here once and it is an international incident covered by a complicit media with vested interests in other travel destinations. Some kids drink too much, too fast and dive into a three foot pool, one on top of the other and the problem is not their bad judgement but the silly notion that a company with the reputation of Iberostar would give its guest tainted alcohol that might lead to someone's death. Parents can't accept their loss and need to blame. Media all over it because, well, it is Mexico and you know how it is. The ferry bomb, who knows. An explosive device with no shrapnel built into it was not meant to maim and kill. It was either a political message or an insurance scam. But, whatever, we are not talking Baltimore or Beirut or Miami here.
People walk the streets, eat in the restaurants, work, play in the park and go about their business like they did 5, 10, 15 and 20 years ago. Sure, things change. What hasn't? We have had a cannibal murderer, a mobbed-up Canadian businessman shot in his AI room, swine flu, Wilma (where we were actually under 10 feet of water according to the news) and gotten through it all. What sucks is that people lose jobs over panic created by people who have no clue.
I ain't in the mood to hear the "20 years and my how things have changed" pitch today. The US government just ****ed our economy over something they don't even have the courtesy to explain.

Re: Playa Del Carmen [Re: DandG] #156607
03/12/2018 09:55 AM
03/12/2018 09:55 AM
PA
D
DandG Offline OP
Traveler
DandG  Offline OP
Traveler
D
PA
Thanks, That's exactly the response I was looking for.

I'm aware of the media's exaggeration but when the State department issue's such warning as I have pasted below, I'm concerned.

U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice. U.S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

I'm sure we'll have a great vacation.

Re: Playa Del Carmen [Re: DandG] #156618
03/12/2018 11:59 AM
03/12/2018 11:59 AM
PDC, Mexico
bugambilias Offline
Traveler
bugambilias  Offline
Traveler
PDC, Mexico
The Attorney General of Internal Affairs says that the February 21 Playa del Carmen Barcos Caribe ferry explosion was not related to organized crime or a terrorist cell

Latest report.

Last edited by bugambilias; 03/12/2018 12:00 PM. Reason: Add info
Re: Playa Del Carmen [Re: DandG] #156642
03/12/2018 06:35 PM
03/12/2018 06:35 PM
Maine
SXMbeacher Offline
Traveler
SXMbeacher  Offline
Traveler
Maine
DandG, we will be kicking around that area in about 3 weeks for the first time. bugambilias has eased our minds, and hopefully we will bring you back a glowing report to help ease your mind for your trip.

Re: Playa Del Carmen [Re: DandG] #156659
03/12/2018 11:25 PM
03/12/2018 11:25 PM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
I find traveling to places with such " bad news" as this is great, often you can get a deal and the people appreciate you coming.

Mike
Re: Playa Del Carmen [Re: DandG] #156977
03/17/2018 10:51 AM
03/17/2018 10:51 AM
Middleton, Florida
SMC_Irish_68 Offline
Traveler
SMC_Irish_68  Offline
Traveler
Middleton, Florida
For over 20 years, we sailed in the BVI or rented a villa. We loved it, but found it harder to travel there as flights were cut-back from our home airport. Then we started visiting the Yucatan because we could take a nonstop flight. After exploring Merida, which we love, we settled in Akumal which is just south of Playa del Carmen.

I shop and dine in PDC and feel safe. I will admit that I'm not out partying at night in PDC but that is only because I can't stay awake past 11 p.m.

There are many opportunities to explore the RM with organized tours, rental cars or the public transportation. The cenotes are great. As to ruins, I
really like Coba and recommend hiring a guide and then a pedicab there. Spend a day in Akumal and go to Yal Ku lagoon, and then over to Lol Ha beach.

Karen

Moderated by  Eric_Hill