Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
St. John, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (jagmansr, NumberCruncher, MikeMc, Kennys, louismcc, OceanSong, Rbailey, dolfer, lcote, tmsxmsails, JohnandBev, pandpfromcanada, JohnW, JerseyPal, SXMBND, Eva, duckfat, Harleyk, Uksimonusa, John, Ackman, bostonbob, fabila, geomo, bbeach, ndfaninnc, Fran, charlie, ydrwrb1, Matt W, boucharda, KirkB, WWII, tbaybob, JeanneB, Jeannius, Jaybird, TC42, Kevin_B, Billtjw, GeorgeC1, 15 invisible), 821 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
July Charter questions #158137
04/02/2018 11:03 AM
04/02/2018 11:03 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
S
Schwendy Offline OP
Traveler
Schwendy  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Pittsburgh, PA
Will be doing a charter on a Moorings 433pc July 20-28 and have a few questions.

-Been reading the thread about Oil Nut Bay. Now I want to go! Is the Saba passage pretty easy and safe? Not just doable but well marked? I'm talking about the channel between Saba and VG. Or is it best to pick up a mooring ball on that side of Gorda Sound and dinghy over to ONB dock? So far there are only 4 of us so the dinghy won't be too overloaded. Are the mooring balls in that area in good shape? Heard the one's off of BEYC were missing pennants?
- How long is the motor from Anegada to Jost on average motoring at what speed?
-Christmas In July, is this still happening and what dates? I totally forgot about this. Does it cause problems, no mooring balls, annoyingly loud and crowded? Or is it fun? Do you think the Puerto Rican Navy will be out in force or did they suffer too much damage to make it a big event this year. Never been down during this event so no idea what I'm in for.
-Last night anchorage/mooring? Soper's Hole or Cooper? Or other suggestion. I will be starting the trip on Norman so don't really want to repeat that at the end. Will be coming from Jost. I know Soper's is still in bad shape but all I need is a mooring ball. We will probably be finishing any leftover alcohol or food so the last night will most likely be on the boat. Is that bar still open at Soper's (used to be Jolly Roger) and now I can't think of the name.
- Is there a new Drinking Man's Guide? Last one I had was 2 or 3 years ago. I would feel bad even using it after the storms I think.

Last edited by Schwendy; 04/02/2018 11:14 AM.

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: July Charter questions [Re: Schwendy] #158140
04/02/2018 11:32 AM
04/02/2018 11:32 AM
trueblue Offline
Traveler
trueblue  Offline
Traveler
Re: Puerto Rican Navy. 2 things. In the past, pre Irma/Maria it has been crowded, but this has not been a real problem. Not sure about this year. I think there is some sort of destination anchorage each night. regardless, most boats are gone early in the morning. In the afternoon and early evening there is a lot of wonderful music, but really, as the sun goes down, so does the noise level. And their boating skills are far better than the average charterer's.

And now for #2 After the BVI was devastated by Irma, some of the very first responders were from Puerto Rico, in private boats bringing in water, food and baby supplies. This was I think on the first day after Irma left. this continued until Maria hit both BVI and Puerto Rico. So, if the Puerto Rican navy does show up, I would suggest going over and offering to buy them dinner!

Re: July Charter questions [Re: trueblue] #158145
04/02/2018 12:03 PM
04/02/2018 12:03 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
S
Schwendy Offline OP
Traveler
Schwendy  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Pittsburgh, PA
I wasn't disparaging them in any way! I'm just worried about crowded mooring fields! Doesn't matter if it's them, general tourist population or the MIT crowd! This is only my 2nd bareboat trip and I don't want added stress or factors to work around. I like watching them on Jost! And I am aware and thankful for the help they offered after Irma. Might have to disagree with you on the better than average boating skills. Hence the "I like watching them on Jost".

[Linked Image]
Re: July Charter questions [Re: Schwendy] #158147
04/02/2018 12:31 PM
04/02/2018 12:31 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline
Traveler
Will_L  Offline
Traveler
Ill, USA

You won’t have much trouble avoiding the PR Navy if you choose to do so. Their main point of rendezvous is pond bay Virgin Gorda . They have a big supply barge there and literally hundreds of boats rafted up having a great party. Will see them at Leverick, Spanishtown, the Bight in lesser numbers.

A good place to spend your last evening would be to pick up a mooring at great harbor Peter. Good snorkeling, don’t know if bar is back in business /it a fine spot to spend your last night aboard. Straight across to Roadtown next morning.

Re: July Charter questions [Re: Schwendy] #158173
04/02/2018 06:02 PM
04/02/2018 06:02 PM
Hilton Head, SC
Steve27 Offline
Traveler
Steve27  Offline
Traveler
Hilton Head, SC
[quote=Schwendy]Will be doing a charter on a Moorings 433pc July 20-28 and have a few questions.

- How long is the motor from Anegada to Jost on average motoring at what speed?

Get a morning start and we have always made it in about 3 hours. We also stop at Monkey Point for some diving/snorkeling. I have always cruised at 2000 RPMs or about 9.5 Knts. Its a beautiful cruise along the coast. Remember its about the journey and not the destination...at least on our boat it is. You will be on a ball by 1 or 2. AS far as last night we usually always end on Norman, but since you are starting there I would suggest Cooper. A lot cheaper than Peter and there is a good Rum Bar on Cooper. We will be on a 514PC leaving the morning of the 28th. Will probably see you coming in and if so will be glad to help with your lines.

Cruising the local waters here in SC and GA. Love the BVIs and miss the Tradewinds!
Re: July Charter questions [Re: Steve27] #158180
04/02/2018 07:17 PM
04/02/2018 07:17 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
S
Schwendy Offline OP
Traveler
Schwendy  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Pittsburgh, PA
Steve27, you're leaving where? We return our boat to Moorings the morning of Saturday July 28th. We are staying at Emerald Beach Resort that night before flying home on Sunday. I'm jealous! Really wanted the 514 this time but couldn't get enough people to come on the trip!

[Linked Image]
Re: July Charter questions [Re: Schwendy] #158183
04/02/2018 07:30 PM
04/02/2018 07:30 PM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
It’s 26 nm from Anegada to JVD. We usually plan four hours depending on conditions. That’s sailin,

The PR navy this year will be smaller. PR got crushed by Maria with a lot of boats damaged. No way to know how many will show up.

Re: July Charter questions [Re: Schwendy] #158189
04/02/2018 09:39 PM
04/02/2018 09:39 PM
Hilton Head, SC
Steve27 Offline
Traveler
Steve27  Offline
Traveler
Hilton Head, SC
Originally Posted by Schwendy
Steve27, you're leaving where? We return our boat to Moorings the morning of Saturday July 28th. We are staying at Emerald Beach Resort that night before flying home on Sunday. I'm jealous! Really wanted the 514 this time but couldn't get enough people to come on the trip!

We are staying aboard on the 514PC at Moorings on Friday the 27th and will leave after breakfast on the 28th. We will be flying a flag that says "Living Like a Pirate". We have cruised the 514PC before and it is a great boat! Plenty of power and speed but I cruise it at around 2000-2200 RPMs and it sips the fuel, The Moorings put up a fuel burn chart on their site under the boat info and its pretty accurate to what we burned. You will have a blast on the 433PC too. Swing by if you have time on the way out...would love to hear how your trip went. Happy cruising!! cheers

Cruising the local waters here in SC and GA. Love the BVIs and miss the Tradewinds!