Member Spotlight
wendyk
wendyk
falmouth,MA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Colour1, Wingman, Beansbbq, SANFILIP, PnPinNC, sugarae, michaelj, Mikel, IWIWSE, Jeff thorton, 6 invisible), 1,008 guests, and 56 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Time to catch the last ferry? #157984
03/30/2018 05:05 PM
03/30/2018 05:05 PM
Tucson, AZ
N
Nauticalyssa Offline OP
Nauticalyssa  Offline OP
N
Tucson, AZ
Hello all!

Long time reader, first-time poster!

I will be heading down to the BVIs for my 8th charter in May 26th-June 4th. I'll be arriving around 1:30 pm on Saturday and had planned on taking the ferry over for sleep aboard & provisioning before departing at noon the next day.

My concern is that I have a few people (first-timers) accompanying me but on later flights. Their flight won't arrive until 3:40 pm and the last ferry that day leaves at 4:15 pm... Is there enough time for my guests to make it to the ferry terminal on time? (they will *not* be checking bags which I'm hoping will help).

I know there are a lot of factors, flight arrival time being the main one- but I also know that the ferries can run a little late. As for a backup plan, if they miss the ferry, how likely would it be to get a last-min hotel within walking distance?

Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance,

BVI Sponsors
Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: Nauticalyssa] #157999
03/31/2018 12:54 AM
03/31/2018 12:54 AM
Kupe Offline
Traveler
Kupe  Offline
Traveler
Originally Posted by Nauticalyssa

My concern is that I have a few people (first-timers) accompanying me but on later flights. Their flight won't arrive until 3:40 pm and the last ferry that day leaves at 4:15 pm... Is there enough time for my guests to make it to the ferry terminal on time? (they will *not* be checking bags which I'm hoping will help).

Welcome!

Okay, let's get to the bad news first. There is ZERO chance based on what you have said that your crew will make the ferry from Charlotte Amelie at 4:15 if they don't land at STT until 3:40.

Okay, let me rephrase that. IF the flight landed on time AND they were seated at the boarding door of the plane and were therefore first off, AND ran down the jet stairs with their bags, AND got out front and grabbed the first cab, AND there was zero traffic, AND they hit every light green AND already had ferry tickets...yes I'm guessing that somebody somewhere has actually made the ferry with that schedule. But I really doubt it.

I also know that the ferries can run a little late.

Truth be told, I've found RTFF to be the very picture of punctuality lately, remarkable as that is post-Irma. Figure on them leaving at 4:15...or maybe 4:16.

Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful!

Here is what your crew needs to do. If they can't change to an earlier flight, then they need to move their flights one day earlier and book a night at Emerald Beach Resort near the airport, or if money is really tight, at Lindbergh Bay Hotel. They can rest up and enjoy a stress-free evening (warning- the restaurant at Lindbergh is currently closed, so they will wind up taking a cab anyway to Emerald to eat, so might as well stay there). Meanwhile, the next day, you pick them up in your cab on the way from the airport to the ferry dock. We have done this many times with crew.

Yep, at this point they will likely have to pay an airline change fee, but as first-timers I think they have no idea what jeopardy they are placing your trip in...and stress on you. They will learn from this and won't do that to you next time.

Other options...private water-taxi is certainly one. Probably about $500-$600, but weighed against airline change-fees and ferry tickets and hotels, that might actually work for them. And zero stress. https://www.dolphinshuttle.com

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: Kupe] #158656
04/09/2018 10:34 PM
04/09/2018 10:34 PM
Tucson, AZ
N
Nauticalyssa Offline OP
Nauticalyssa  Offline OP
N
Tucson, AZ
Apologies for the delayed reply- thank you very much for weighing in here Kupe! You've confirmed what I had mostly suspected.

Since there is no chance of them changing the flight, what we have decided to do (similar to your suggestion) is the half of us arriving at 1 will ferry over to RT and the guests arriving at 3:40 will book stay night at Emerald Beach and catch the first ferry to RT in the morning. I Believe this will give them enough time to meet us at the dock at least by noon when we would ideally like to leave- please let me know if I'm missing any key factors here.

I appreciate the note on ferries running on time, that's not something I'm used to!

This certainly has been a bit stressful but I am confident we'll get it sorted and have a beautiful trip!

Thanks again!

Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: Nauticalyssa] #158657
04/09/2018 10:43 PM
04/09/2018 10:43 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Chartering a plane from STT to EIS would eliminate all your stress

Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: Nauticalyssa] #158658
04/10/2018 12:11 AM
04/10/2018 12:11 AM
Kupe Offline
Traveler
Kupe  Offline
Traveler
Apologies for the delayed reply- thank you very much for weighing in here Kupe! You've confirmed what I had mostly suspected.

Since there is no chance of them changing the flight, what we have decided to do (similar to your suggestion) is the half of us arriving at 1 will ferry over to RT and the guests arriving at 3:40 will book stay night at Emerald Beach and catch the first ferry to RT in the morning. I Believe this will give them enough time to meet us at the dock at least by noon when we would ideally like to leave- please let me know if I'm missing any key factors here.

I appreciate the note on ferries running on time, that's not something I'm used to!

This certainly has been a bit stressful but I am confident we'll get it sorted and have a beautiful trip!

Thanks again!

You are most welcome. That all sounds like it will work and sounds much less stressful for everyone. And your lucky crew will arrive having missed all the provisioning and bag dragging, etc. What a deal! grin

Have a great trip!

Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: sail445] #158659
04/10/2018 06:35 AM
04/10/2018 06:35 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
Originally Posted by sail445

Had they chartered a boat from STT it
would have elminated all their stress. :-)

Last edited by CaptainJay; 04/10/2018 06:36 AM.
Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: CaptainJay] #158670
04/10/2018 10:04 AM
04/10/2018 10:04 AM
Kupe Offline
Traveler
Kupe  Offline
Traveler
Originally Posted by CaptainJay
Originally Posted by sail445

Had they chartered a boat from STT it
would have elminated all their stress. :-)

Yeah, I also suggested Dolphin Water taxi as an option. If they are buying two rooms at Emerald plus ferry tickets, the cost would be about the same as the water taxi. But sounds like they have a plan they are happy with.

Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: CaptainJay] #158699
04/10/2018 03:41 PM
04/10/2018 03:41 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Chartering from ST Thomas also makes the charter more adventurous then just going around the BVI merry go round

Re: Time to catch the last ferry? [Re: Nauticalyssa] #158709
04/11/2018 02:15 AM
04/11/2018 02:15 AM
Tucson, AZ
N
Nauticalyssa Offline OP
Nauticalyssa  Offline OP
N
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone!

We will be ferrying to RT and doing a sleep aboard the day we arrive and only one couple (arriving later) will be staying at Emerald overnight, meeting us in RT the next morning.

I'm unsure what the cost of a chartered flight from STT to EIS would be but my guess is that it, as well as a private water taxi, is out of the budget (we have varying degrees of income so I have to keep everyone's allowances in mind).

I have also looked into chartering out of STT as that would be something new after 7 charters out of Tortola! But, I am pretty loyal to BVIYC and I don't mind dealing with customs to head to USVI for 3-5 days during longer trips than this one (only have 8 night this time! and the newbies want to see the usual sights)

Again, thanks for the seasoned and helpful advice! Looking forward to another beautiful trip smile