Member Spotlight
Angelface
Angelface
Washington, DC/SXM
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
40 registered members (mark37, charlie, SXMBND, JandIrene, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, CaribbeanCanadians, ChiTownHarry, Kevin_B, jrw, RickinAtlanta, Beansbbq, Kiles41, ColoBoater, Halcyon, Zanshin, Kathleen, SXMScubaman, bailau, SURICK, OceanSong, JerseyPal, eightzerobits, CJIMI, Donaegada, blooming, Fletch, cabokid, 10 invisible), 909 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Travel around SXM after hurricane #159011
04/16/2018 10:05 AM
04/16/2018 10:05 AM
J
jscanlon Offline OP
jscanlon  Offline OP
J
I’m going to be in SXM for a day on a cruise. I would like to spend the day at Orient Beach, and at Grand Case. What is the best way to do this? Is there enough “traffic” going on, yet, to rely on cabs for each of the pieces of our trip (Phillipsburg to Orient Beach. Orient Beach to Grand Case. Grand Case to Orient Beach. Orient Beach back to Phillipsburg).

What do people recommend? And if cabs aren’t really running, yet, can I hire a driver for the day? And if so, does anyone know some good ones? And approximately what would that cost?

Thank you very much!

Jared

SXM Sponsors
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159013
04/16/2018 10:38 AM
04/16/2018 10:38 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Originally Posted by jscanlon
I’m going to be in SXM for a day on a cruise. I would like to spend the day at Orient Beach, and at Grand Case. What is the best way to do this? Is there enough “traffic” going on, yet, to rely on cabs for each of the pieces of our trip (Phillipsburg to Orient Beach. Orient Beach to Grand Case. Grand Case to Orient Beach. Orient Beach back to Phillipsburg).

What do people recommend? And if cabs aren’t really running, yet, can I hire a driver for the day? And if so, does anyone know some good ones? And approximately what would that cost?

Thank you very much!

Jared

If there is a ship or multiple ships in port, there will be taxis running. If you have a group of several people, I would try to negotiate a deal with the same driver for your entire day. I know WIlfred Brooks is highly recommended so you might try him. WILFRED BROOKS. His van sustained damage but perhaps he is back up and running. Cost is negotiable and will vary depending on the number of people in your group.

You can also try to negotiate your deal with the driver in line or the dispatcher. Make it clear what you want, agree on a price and make it clear that payment and tip will be made upon completion of your tour.

Good luck.

J.D.
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159025
04/16/2018 02:03 PM
04/16/2018 02:03 PM
Oshawa
BGH Offline
Traveler
BGH  Offline
Traveler
Oshawa
Back in the day , Orient was must visit ...Today not so much . Unless you are a diehard nudist ...there are better beaches to visit .

Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: BGH] #159028
04/16/2018 04:17 PM
04/16/2018 04:17 PM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
Actually, Orient Beach is absolutely beautiful and big, quiet and unspoiled. Best I've ever seen it.

Not much open in Grand Case. Horrible reviews of Rainbow, about the only place on the beach there

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159029
04/16/2018 04:49 PM
04/16/2018 04:49 PM
Teresasxm Offline
Traveler
Teresasxm  Offline
Traveler
Hi Jared,
We were in St. Maarten last week and drove around the island ourselves. We met a lot of cruisers during our week in St. Maarten that rented cars and did it themselves as well. As the other posters said, Orient and Grand Case are pretty damaged with not a lot of services. Could I suggest you try Mullet Beach (it was stunning and Rosie'sRibs is back up and running) with a trip through Maho and then Simpson Bay - maybe KimSha beach? We found those beaches to have lots of services, restaurants ,washrooms etc. (There's even a porta potty on Mullet) If you must go to Orient and Grand Case here is what you will find.

Orient Beach - head down towards Club O. Chez Leandra is operating out of an old container. The bathrooms are located within another container closer to Club O. You have to pay 1 dollar and can't flush. The small boy attendant says he only flushes when "it is full". Quite rustic.

Grand Case - The LoLos are open and some of the restaurants and a few stores. We just drove through and didn't stop.

Have fun on your day trip!

Last edited by Teresasxm; 04/16/2018 04:49 PM.
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: BillandElaine] #159044
04/16/2018 07:56 PM
04/16/2018 07:56 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Actually, Orient Beach is absolutely beautiful and big, quiet and unspoiled. Best I've ever seen it.

Sounds like Orient ‘back in the day.....’ and the Orient we loved into the late 80s and very early 90s - the days of sand and seagrape. Maybe it’s time to return before it redevelops back into the busy oasis it’s become over the past 20 to 25 years.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159045
04/16/2018 08:06 PM
04/16/2018 08:06 PM
Florida
RobT Offline
Traveler
RobT  Offline
Traveler
Florida
I do not know about taxis. We had a cruise ship stop in St Martin in January and rented a car. We drove around the island in a clock wise direction to check out the damages. Things were hopping at Maho Beach, but we just drove by. Also, there was only the North gate open to Orient Beach, and even then you could not get through to the Club Orient section. We had to drive back out and use the main road to Club Orient. Going for a week on Sunday, so I will have a better idea. I am sure Orient Beach will look a lot different in a year. It was easy to get around, but many of the directional signs were down, so we had to go by memory. When I stopped to fill up the gas tank, I had to get directions to the cruise ship dock from the attendant.

Beach Hunter
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159055
04/17/2018 06:01 AM
04/17/2018 06:01 AM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
The south gate to Orient has been closed for years, open only to residents with the clicker. At this time, the only way to Club O thru Le String section of the beach is still along the Le Galion Road past the stinky salt pond as the gate next to Kon Tiki remains closed.

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159095
04/17/2018 06:48 PM
04/17/2018 06:48 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Like someone mentioned earlier there should be plenty of taxi's around when the cruise ships are in port. Just hang a right after leaving the port area and you'll see the area frequented by the taxi drivers. Last time my wife I did this I believe it was $25 USD one way to Orient Bay. But, as noted if you get another couple to ride along with you the rate will be reduced. The trick will be getting to Grand Case from Orient Bay. It's too far to walk, so I would suggest carrying with you the phone numbers of two or three local taxi services when you want to leave the Orient Bay area. Once in Grand Case, if you decide to have dinner there, the restaurant can usually arrange for a taxi for you to return to the dock. This is a lot to do on just a cruise ship stop so it will be necessary to manage your time carefully. But, my best estimate for these three taxi rides would be roughly around $75. Hope this helps.

Re: Travel around SXM after hurricane [Re: jscanlon] #159137
04/18/2018 11:04 AM
04/18/2018 11:04 AM
Ontario, Canada
OllieEh Offline
Traveler
OllieEh  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
I know of a very reliable driver that we have used many times each trip. Like most tourist based small businesses, he has suffered greatly. I just received the news that he finally got his van back on Saturday. He can accommodate 1 to 11 passengers with luggage. Very prompt, courteous and knowledgeable. He is from Marigot but will service the entire island. I would gladly pass along his contact information to anyone interested. I won’t post it here out of respect for paying advertisers.