pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Good Boy Gus, camview, WWII, sailingbob, snman31, anet_scot, nevar37, Alltech63, MrEZgoin, cabokid, Whale Tail, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, luvtotravel, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, 6 invisible), 977 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Club Fantastico #160163
05/03/2018 10:07 AM
05/03/2018 10:07 AM
P
PMagistro Offline OP
Traveler
PMagistro  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Can anyone provide any insight about this hotel? Some of the things I saw on-line gave completely different impressions. Really looking to understand more about the hotel & overall vibe.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160164
05/03/2018 10:47 AM
05/03/2018 10:47 AM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
The only other C/O accommodation on the island that I am aware of. It is a fair distance from the beach. We know couples that have stayed there who tell us it is well run and very nice. I assume the vibe you refer to are the rumors that it is a swinger friendly facility. Our friends tell us they saw some of that but it was very discreet. Whether or not that is the ambiance that exists there, I have no personal knowledge, not our thing.

If the phone doesn't ring .... it's me
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: Hdrdr911] #160168
05/03/2018 11:08 AM
05/03/2018 11:08 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
No, actually there is at least one other c/o accommodation, but can't think of the name of it right now.

I wouldn't really describe Club Fantastico as a 'hotel', more kind of like a B & B. As far as the 'vibe', there certainly was no 'swinging' vibe when we stayed there. I don't consider it walking distance from the beach for ME, as it is quite a ways uphill from Club O. As a consequence, it does have a very nice view from up there. It's certainly a lot nicer accommodation than Club O. I know a couple of people here have stayed there recently, so please post any other specific questions you might have.

Carol Hill
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: Hdrdr911] #160169
05/03/2018 11:09 AM
05/03/2018 11:09 AM
P
PMagistro Offline OP
Traveler
PMagistro  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Thank you.

That wasn't really what I was asking . . .

I was under the impression this was a tiny place.

Is this just a hotel? Is it a resort? Can people who aren't staying at the hotel go to the facility as well?

I guess I'm asking is, besides the location & size diffidence, how does Club Fantastico compare to Club O?

Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160174
05/03/2018 12:05 PM
05/03/2018 12:05 PM
JimCandD Offline
Traveler
JimCandD  Offline
Traveler
Club Fantastico is a nice place on the hill above Orient village with a nice view. We stayed there a few times and had a good experience. Since then the people that take care of it has changed so we don’t know what the feel is now. There were six rooms or so with a common area.

Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160175
05/03/2018 12:06 PM
05/03/2018 12:06 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
As far as tiny, it's about 6 rooms. Is that tiny? I don't know. As I said, it's more like a B & B. It was originally a very large villa that they are now renting out individual rooms in. There are individual rooms then a main area with seating inside, a large commercial kitchen that you may use if you want, a fairly large pool outside, with seating on the pool deck and also in the shade. There WAS an outside bar, but not sure about the status of that now. There was also a large hot tub outside, but not sure of the status of that either. It used to be that they did some weekly get-togethers to introduce people to the facility, as they would walk down the beach and ask people if they were interested in touring the facility. Don't know if they still do that or not. In general, though, the only people who are there are people who are staying there. As far as I know, they don't do 'day pass' type situations, if that's your question.

As far as how it compares to Club O, the answer is 'not at all'. Very much apples and oranges. The décor in the rooms is again, more like a B & B, with mahogany furniture, etc. Hard to answer th question as to how it compares, as it is so totally different.

Carol Hill
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160176
05/03/2018 12:16 PM
05/03/2018 12:16 PM
Clearwater, FL
Biturbo Offline
Traveler
Biturbo  Offline
Traveler
Clearwater, FL
There are actually three other c/o venues on the island: Naturist's Getaway in Oyster Pond; Adam et Eve in Orient Village; and Jardin d'O near Mt. Vernon. We have never stayed at any of these three, but have stayed at Club Fantastico several times. Tiny? It's a relative term. There are six rooms. How to compare to Club Orient? Not on the beach, but it does have a nice pool. No kitchen in rooms, but there is a large central kitchen. No TV in rooms, but if you're interested there is one in the great room. There is a shower in the rooms, but everyone uses the wonderful outdoor showers. The rooms have king sized beds and Tommy Bahama furniture. The rate includes breakfast & open bar. There is also a hot tub. As at Club O, wear what you do or don't want at any time. And, of course, Chloe & Thierry, who make you feel at home. If you contact Chloe ahead of time, she would be glad to show you around. The first time I went there, we had been invited to a birthday party. We've never encountered any "lifestylers", but have met some good friends with whom we keep in contact, and we will be returning for a week on 12/2.

I'm going where the weather suits my clothes.
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160177
05/03/2018 12:31 PM
05/03/2018 12:31 PM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
Good to know there are other options now that Club O is not operating. Thanks Biturbo ! Of course the beach was always Club O's main attraction certainly not the accommodations which in our view were substandard and not well maintained ie leaking walls, live exposed electical wiring not to mention the cheapest most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. Hopefully that will improve with the rebuild.

Last edited by Hdrdr911; 05/03/2018 12:43 PM.

If the phone doesn't ring .... it's me
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160179
05/03/2018 12:46 PM
05/03/2018 12:46 PM
P
PMagistro Offline OP
Traveler
PMagistro  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Thanks. My wife and I recently went to Couples Resort San Souci in Jamaica. We sought a similar experience to Club O and overall were disappointed. We were angry at ourselves for not going to St Martin but got spooked by the Hurricane damage. We aren't going to repeat that mistake and will resume visiting St Martin 3-4 times/year and I've already booked 2 trips (just haven't secured a hotel yet).

I guess the question for people like me that are seeking a clothing optional experience (especially since staying at Club O isn't viable currently) is:

1- Does it make more sense just to rent a condo or other hotel and just walk down to the Club O beach and forget about staying at a clothing optional place for the time being; or
2- Does it make sense to stay at one of these other venues (I was unaware there were these 3). If so, which one?

I would think that many naturalists are asking the same question.

Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160180
05/03/2018 12:54 PM
05/03/2018 12:54 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I don't know that anyone can answer the question as to what makes more sense for YOU. That is a personal decision that only you can make. What was it specifically that you were disappointed with at San Souci? What do you like the most about Club O? Do you want to be able to be c/o all the time, or are you a c/o beach person?

Carol Hill
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160181
05/03/2018 01:09 PM
05/03/2018 01:09 PM
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
RI Bob C Offline
Traveler
RI Bob C  Offline
Traveler
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Prior to becoming what it is today it was run as a French hotel that only rented to groups who took the whole place. It had 5 units, a common living room, common kitchen and common bar. We stocked the bar and kitchen. Two caretakers lived in a separate unit in the back. They cooked our breakfast and cleaned the place. Parking was limited to two cars and the entrance was a steep hill with a wall that made you stop quickly at the base of it.

We stayed there three straight years for two week visits and had a great time.

Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160183
05/03/2018 01:42 PM
05/03/2018 01:42 PM
P
PMagistro Offline OP
Traveler
PMagistro  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Here are the main differences:

1- Couples San Souci is a resort. Except for a possible day excursion, you were locked into staying on the resort. To be fair we knew this going into it, but realized as result that we truly don't like the idea of being locked into a specific place.
2- First and foremost compliant: the nude beach is small and really wasn't that nice. this is a nude beach not a clothing optional beach. There was one particular day and it got a little cold later in the day so my wife covered part of her body with a towel while lying on the beach. A guard came up to us and asked her to remove the towel or leave the beach. The guard didn't want to hear that she was simply a little cold. Although we're naturalists, this put a bad taste in our mouth and the policy seems a bit rigid. However, taking this experience aside there is just no comparison to Orient Beach and San Souci. Note, all other places on the resort clothing was mandatory.
3- The food at Couples was disappointing. I think we got a little spoiled in St Martin.... They pushed people to go to the buffet which in my mind is fine for breakfast but not something I want to do for lunch & dinner. There were only a couple of restaurants and reservations were needed and difficult to get. Last, the dinner attire was a little dressy. The overall facility was dated and needed updating and TLC (although I felt the rooms at Club O weren't nice either).
4- While the people were extremely nice & accomodating, culturally I prefer St Martin which is hard to articulate into words.
5- We've met some fantastic people at Club O over the years and just love the overall Club O atmosphere. There seemed to be far to freedom to do what you want and I never met an unfriendly person there.

Thus far, we've mainly been c/o beach people but would like to expand this a bit. We do enjoy going to dine in Orient Square & Grand Case. The food & culture is a clear draw for us. I guess if I had to sum up we're looking to be c/o most of the time except for meals (mainly dinner).

Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160185
05/03/2018 02:18 PM
05/03/2018 02:18 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
OK, I understand where you're coming from, as far as nudity required. I do not agree with that type of policy either. As far as the food, in the old days, Grand Lido Braco and Grand Lido Negril were much better nudist resorts, with better food, but those days are gone, unfortunately.

If you're mostly interested in being nude on the beach, you could probably be perfectly happy staying at a condo or hotel or villa somewhere on the beach and going to the Club O beach each day. Another option would be a private villa with your own pool, so that you could be nude there if you like..

Carol Hill
Re: Club Fantastico [Re: Hdrdr911] #160210
05/03/2018 11:27 PM
05/03/2018 11:27 PM
Southern US
S
Southbound Offline
Traveler
Southbound  Offline
Traveler
S
Southern US
Originally Posted by Hdrdr911
The only other C/O accommodation on the island that I am aware of. It is a fair distance from the beach. We know couples that have stayed there who tell us it is well run and very nice. I assume the vibe you refer to are the rumors that it is a swinger friendly facility. Our friends tell us they saw some of that but it was very discreet. Whether or not that is the ambiance that exists there, I have no personal knowledge, not our thing.

We have stayed there 6 times over the last 5 years and have never heard any discussion that it was swinger friendly nor have I ever heard any rumors to that effect. I would describe the vibe as very relaxed with a mature(mostly 50+ with some probably in their 40's) clientele. Patrons may be nude, partially nude, wearing a sheer cover up/sarong or fully clothed at any time. No one cares what anyone else is or is not wearing.

The view is awesome, the pool very nice, the outdoor showers a big time favorite and the hot tub is a popular gathering spot for an after dinner night cap. I think Carol's analogy to a B&B describes it well.

I would think anyone who was comfortable at Club O would be comfortable at Club Fantastico. They do not do day passes, however, occasionally a couple will stop by to look at the place but they will always let the folks staying there know someone is stopping by.

It's an easy drive to the beach(or vigorous walk if you're in pretty good physical condition), Orient Village or Grand Case for dinner.

Hope that helps!

Re: Club Fantastico [Re: PMagistro] #160264
05/04/2018 10:32 PM
05/04/2018 10:32 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TravelHat Offline
Traveler
TravelHat  Offline
Traveler
T
Middle Tennessee
Look up so chic villas. Great owners. In the village so you can walk to restaurants, Club O beach and it's all flat. They have a Facebook page, trip advisor listing or just google. Stayed with them in the past and have been very satisfied.