pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, camview, luvtotravel, cabokid, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, Whale Tail, jazzgal, ohstate, NoelHall, lbksxm, 10 invisible), 984 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma #160804
05/14/2018 09:56 PM
05/14/2018 09:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline OP
Traveler
warren460  Offline OP
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Yesterday we made a reservation for a 7:30 dinner tonight. 

The rebuild is georgeious. 

It's unfortunate that this is the only nice thing I can say

Let's start with the bushwackers. I have had many a great bushwacker here. Tonight was not that Night. The drink was very icy.  The worst bushwacker of this trip. 

Onto the menu.  There were very few choices. My favourites, chicken roti and the wonderful pasta dish have been removed from the menu. The roti is still on the lunch menu.  The menu moved upscale and includes some overpriced sharing dishes. 

The menu had a vegetarian dish,  a lobster bisque with no lobster, they ran out of their chicken dish, they also had a steak dish and a fish dish.  Eating steak on board tomorrow. 

I spoke to the manager and asked if they could accommodate us by offering the lunch menu. The manager was very firm and had a take it or leave it attitude. He did not care in the slightest about the fact that the menu did not have anything of interest. He could have offered the lunch menu. But no dice. I told the manager that we would order appetizers and desert and eat dinner on the boat. He did not care.

We are a group of 6. No one in our group was happy with the menu. 

Those that ordered the fish said it was good but the portions were small.  Two of us ordered the lobster bisque. It had very over cooked shrimp(3), no lobster and a few morals of shrimp. 

No longer do they offer complimentary bread.

We wanted to order a Bailey's ice dessert. They are out of that too. 

Cooper island is gorgeous. Eat dinner on board. You won't be sorry. Limited overpriced menu. Few menu items, staff with a cavalier attitude. 

The bottom line, disappointingly. 

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
BVI Sponsors
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160806
05/15/2018 05:11 AM
05/15/2018 05:11 AM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
Warren, so sorry to hear about your bad experience. There is no excuse for that. My guess is they were busy and ran out of food, so no chicken for chicken roti! Re-supply on an island is always a problem. Maybe the attitude is a consequence of little competition since Irma.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: RatmansWife] #160807
05/15/2018 05:59 AM
05/15/2018 05:59 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline OP
Traveler
warren460  Offline OP
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
The wonderful chicken roti is only offered on the regular menu.

The manager steadfastly refused to offer anything from the lunch menu.

They are trying to go more upscale.

In my view, how can you have only 5 main choices. Run out of one and your down to 4.

It was such a wonderful place.

We visited there 15 - 20 times over the years.

The manager told one member of our group the he believed that we came to the restaurant intending to pick a fight.

I did tell him that I would be sharing our experience on TTOL.

I hope that he chimes in here. That way he can explain what they have done to the restaurant.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160808
05/15/2018 07:01 AM
05/15/2018 07:01 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
I know it may sound crazy...but sometimes it is not easy to offer up the lunch menu at dinner - and requires different prep - and since they really are just starting back up, that part I can cut them a little slack on. If they start doing that for one, they will have to do it for all — prices are also obviously different on the lunch menu and that would eventually effect their bottom line if they continued to let people do that.

That said....if they were running out of things that night and could easily supplement choices by offerong up some limited items from the lunch menu, it might have helped. Just not sure how prepared they would need to be for that.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: RatmansWife] #160809
05/15/2018 07:28 AM
05/15/2018 07:28 AM
R
rednecksailor Offline
rednecksailor  Offline
R
Originally Posted by RatmansWife
Warren, so sorry to hear about your bad experience. There is no excuse for that. My guess is they were busy and ran out of food, so no chicken for chicken roti! Re-supply on an island is always a problem. Maybe the attitude is a consequence of little competition since Irma.

What is with this apologist attitude on this board for poorly run businesses? If you are an open and functioning tourist business get your s**t together and prosper or fail.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: Winterstale] #160810
05/15/2018 07:31 AM
05/15/2018 07:31 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline OP
Traveler
warren460  Offline OP
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
I understand that they might not be able to offer the lunch menu. They did not even have salad on the menu. They did not offer any alternates to us after I explained how dissapoing the menu is. I am not surprised by higher prices post Irma, but $60 for a half chicken dinner with a bit more sides, described as dinner for two is ridiculous.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160814
05/15/2018 09:12 AM
05/15/2018 09:12 AM
New Jersey
C
Catmandu Offline
Traveler
Catmandu  Offline
Traveler
C
New Jersey
Here in the Unites States and probably the whole world the business with the highest failure rates are restaurants. You either adapt to your customers or you become extinct.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: rednecksailor] #160829
05/15/2018 01:05 PM
05/15/2018 01:05 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by rednecksailor

What is with this apologist attitude on this board for poorly run businesses? If you are an open and functioning tourist business get your s**t together and prosper or fail.

I'll kindly mention that there was a storm here in September that was bigger than any storm in BVI recorded history. It's a miracle Cooper is open at all this early so fact that they have anything to offer means they have their s**t together. Many places have a limited menu still. Luckily you found the best solution of your group and ate ashore. Too bad you couldn't suffer thru the 4 offerings and support the people trying to recover and earn a living so they can eat from the limited offerings the BVI has.

Last edited by JasonHelmbrecht; 05/15/2018 01:07 PM.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160841
05/15/2018 02:49 PM
05/15/2018 02:49 PM
trueblue Offline
Traveler
trueblue  Offline
Traveler
Actually Jason, there were two storms, one right after the other. But I agree with you,

Cooper is packed every night, very few options to eat dinner on shore these days. We will visit, but will probably book an early seating. Looking forward to whatever meal I don’t have to cook!

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #160845
05/15/2018 03:19 PM
05/15/2018 03:19 PM
Chesapeake - deliveries worldw...
Auspicious Offline
Traveler
Auspicious  Offline
Traveler
Chesapeake - deliveries worldw...
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
I'll kindly mention that there was a storm here in September that was bigger than any storm in BVI recorded history.

I've been in the BVI three times so far this year. I've been incredibly impressed by the strength and adaptability of the BVIslanders in responding to the damage from the storm. Not only are they resilient they have their priorities straight. By getting power and cellular systems back on line as a priority they have made everything else that must easier. My experience there bringing boats out on delivery, all of which required some local support to get ready for sea, has been truly amazing given the damage. Tortola and Jost Van Dyke are recovering nicely although there is still much to do. #BVIStrong

Warren's experience on Cooper is saddening and out of character. While it may be an anomaly in BVI it is a disturbing one. There is no excuse for the reception he encountered. Cooper Island has long been a favorite stop and the restaurant a "must do." I'll leave it to others to report on any possible philosophical recovery and plan to walk the beach, snorkel Cistern Point, and eat aboard.

dave

S/V Auspicious
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160848
05/15/2018 03:29 PM
05/15/2018 03:29 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline OP
Traveler
warren460  Offline OP
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
We had a wonderful lunch served by very friendly people at Hendo's. The contractors at Cooper did an incredible job getting the facility ready. It's unfortunate that the staff were unfriendly as is very uncharacteristic for the bvi at present.

The snotty behaviour was uncalled for.

As previously indicated we have been to CIBC many times per year Over the past number of years. This was a bad experience and it was uncharacteristic.

The purpose of this thread is to inform members of this board so they make an informed decision regarding visiting that restaurant.

I will still go to happy hour or lunch but not dinner.

When I read about a change in menu and staff attitude, I will definitely be back.

Jason, I agree with some elements of your post and fully support the people of the bvi.

Last edited by warren460; 05/15/2018 03:32 PM.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160873
05/15/2018 06:46 PM
05/15/2018 06:46 PM
New Jersey
C
Catmandu Offline
Traveler
Catmandu  Offline
Traveler
C
New Jersey
I’ll give them a mulligan. After what they went through they have a right to be grumpy. I will patroniIze this July.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160874
05/15/2018 07:08 PM
05/15/2018 07:08 PM
now - or when ?
C
CGB Offline
Traveler
CGB  Offline
Traveler
C
now - or when ?
Nah... no Mulligans
and Warren - stop being such an accepting Canuck

Bad is bad
They can do better... they know they can do better
Riteway(RTW) has no shortage of supply
and there is no excuse

Deliver, or people will find an "elsewhere"
Does anyone think people have not been looking and finding "elsewhere" ?

Nobody on Tortola delivers mainland prices

so...simple economics... in this day & age... no excuse is truly worth listening to
shape up... deliver... or go....

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160875
05/15/2018 07:12 PM
05/15/2018 07:12 PM
Seattle, WA
mattt Offline
Traveler
mattt  Offline
Traveler
Seattle, WA
We had appetizers at Cooper last week and it was great. Drinks were awesome. I was impressed it was this good considering other places are still closed.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160891
05/16/2018 04:51 AM
05/16/2018 04:51 AM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
Redneck, if you knew me, it’s unlikely you would describe me as an apologist. There are many restaurants here I have refused to patronize over the years because, at that time, their food was poor, their prices were high, or the service sucked.

Living on an out island, I know that you can’t run to the store when you run out of something. And when you get to Riteway, they may also be out if it. Island supply chains are very different than mainland supply chains.

Eugene did a great job on Cooper. His first job in the BVI was out here - he was a great kid, and deserves the success be has had.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160894
05/16/2018 07:18 AM
05/16/2018 07:18 AM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline
Traveler
Lutz, FL
warren460, thank you for this post we will be staying on Cooper at the hotel for 3 nights in a couple of weeks and now know what to expect. We will be eating lunch late that is for sure. Do they have refrigerators in the room? ha ha ha. With the post also about the Willy T not being able to return to the bight and that island going to an upscale resort type I fear this might be our last trip to the BVI if all businesses now think upscaling and catering only to the rich is the way to go. That is not what we go on vacations for. I was also looking forward to the chicken roti . . .glad it is still on the lunch menu.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: RatmansWife] #160907
05/16/2018 09:33 AM
05/16/2018 09:33 AM
R
rednecksailor Offline
rednecksailor  Offline
R
Redneck, if you knew me, it’s unlikely you would describe me as an apologist. There are many restaurants here I have refused to patronize over the years because, at that time, their food was poor, their prices were high, or the service sucked.

Living on an out island, I know that you can’t run to the store when you run out of something. And when you get to Riteway, they may also be out if it. Island supply chains are very different than mainland supply chains.

Eugene did a great job on Cooper. His first job in the BVI was out here - he was a great kid, and deserves the success be has had.

I did not specifically call you an apologist. I remarked on an attitude on this board of immediately jumping in to apologize for island businesses that fail to deliver, for whatever reason. I have observed this by being an unregistered user for years and reading many many such posts.

I am actually very aware of all of the challenges of island life. I have lived full time on STT for 35 years, personally experienced David, Klaus, Hugo, Marilyn (lost home), Irma and Maria. The 2017 hurricanes were 8 months ago and it is past time to stop making excuses. If you own a business you need to deliver what your customers want for a price they will pay and leave them with a memory that makes them want to be a return customer. That is the message. If you have grumpy employees change them out. If your BVI suppliers are still blaming all of their inadequacies on the storms dump them and switch to a supplier in STT, or elsewhere, that is brimming with merchandise - or stay closed until you can deliver on what clients demand.

Last edited by rednecksailor; 05/16/2018 09:33 AM.
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160917
05/16/2018 11:02 AM
05/16/2018 11:02 AM
Fajardo
cruzan1 Offline
Traveler
cruzan1  Offline
Traveler
Fajardo
Staff had a tendency to be rude before the hurricane. We took them off of our list after the manager was rude to our guests after they politely inquired about the lack of WiFi in the restaurant/bar area. I am sure the question gets old but if everyone is asking perhaps the policy needs to be reviewed. If you want to be an upscale restaurant be prepared to offer upscale service which includes hauling out the lunch menu if someone requests it.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160924
05/16/2018 12:23 PM
05/16/2018 12:23 PM
Texas
purplelily Offline
Traveler
purplelily  Offline
Traveler
Texas
AMEN! -- to the posts above. Good Lord, people - serve peanut butter crackers, if you must, but do it with a grateful attitude and a warm spirit, or I'll keep my happy [censored] (oops - butt cheeks) on the boat.

Ain't nobody got time for that on vacation.

And yes- I know Good Morning, Afternoon, and Evening, and I ALWAYS approach with a huge Texas smile and open heart.

Bless their hearts. I can't imagine being so grumpy with all that beauty in your backyard.

Last edited by purplelily; 05/16/2018 12:24 PM.
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160977
05/17/2018 07:07 AM
05/17/2018 07:07 AM
Macon, Georgia
GlennA Offline
Traveler
GlennA  Offline
Traveler
Macon, Georgia
I really have not enjoyed CIBC as much since Toby sold it. It lost a certain island "looseness" and I just have not been able to relax quite as much. Kind of like the difference between Pirates Bight and Billy Bones or Saba Rock and Pirates Pub.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain
Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160978
05/17/2018 07:31 AM
05/17/2018 07:31 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
I am sorry....but as someone who works in the restaurant industry....the whole “haul out the lunch menu” idea is not realistic. I work as a server in a restaurant on Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida and we cater to the tourist industry. If we “hauled out the lunch menu” for every tourist who requested it? Our profits would be cut in half quickly....since people would very likely prefer to pay less for their meals. We make a few of our most popular items on the lunch menu available upon special request but that’s it. CIBC could possibly make the chicken roti available in that same way...but making their entire lunch menu available? They might as well just do away with their dinner menu. I don’t know of too many upscale restaurants in the states who allow you to order from the lunch menu during dinner service...they could also solve it by having a bar bites menu.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: Winterstale] #160980
05/17/2018 07:48 AM
05/17/2018 07:48 AM
Toronto
T
TorontoBoater Offline
Traveler
TorontoBoater  Offline
Traveler
T
Toronto
Just an FYI I guess you had to be there to fully grasp the situation, as I was a guest there same night you would be shocked to hear the manager tell you hat the steak is very fatty and don’t order it unless you like fat , I was not a happy camper as I don’t like fat . When you want chicken and they don’t have that when you want desert and they don’t have that . The staff was 100 percent rude you would also not feel good about the dinner . Everything Warren described is 100 percent accurate . The whole management team seemed like they did not care. As it is my 5th time eating there over the years I would say something has changed . The rebuild of the premise is amazing loved the new dock and building , just wish they had the food to go with it . Hopefully next time they will have figured it out .

Toronto Boater

Paul

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160981
05/17/2018 07:54 AM
05/17/2018 07:54 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Wow....that is really too bad....bad service is bad service....no excuse for that. I have to smile in the face of rudeness quite a bit — and it doesn’t sound like that’s what happened here — I work with some fellow servers who have been in the business too long....that’s a nice way of putting it....but our food brings the customer back since it is consistently good. CIBC will really need to get their act together, post-Irma difficulties and all....Leverick and others have.....

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #160985
05/17/2018 08:35 AM
05/17/2018 08:35 AM
USA
H
Higgins78 Offline
Traveler
Higgins78  Offline
Traveler
H
USA
(Checking the Cooper) webcam, they seem to have open moorings overnight the past week or two (whereas it was pretty full every night in March/April). Guessing it's the season slowing down? Or is everyone in PI GH waiting for Willy T? wink

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: Winterstale] #161017
05/17/2018 01:56 PM
05/17/2018 01:56 PM
R
rednecksailor Offline
rednecksailor  Offline
R
Originally Posted by Winterstale
.Leverick and others have.....

Exactly

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: Higgins78] #161022
05/17/2018 02:31 PM
05/17/2018 02:31 PM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Originally Posted by bkfitz
(Checking the Cooper) webcam, they seem to have open moorings overnight the past week or two (whereas it was pretty full every night in March/April). Guessing it's the season slowing down? Or is everyone in PI GH waiting for Willy T? wink

Looking pretty packed right now!

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #161023
05/17/2018 02:35 PM
05/17/2018 02:35 PM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Soggy Dollar cam shows White Bay is very quiet on the other hand.....

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: Winterstale] #161069
05/18/2018 12:35 PM
05/18/2018 12:35 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Online crying
Traveler
Manpot  Online Crying
Traveler
No excuse for rudeness...ever. I wont put up with it in the BVI's or here in Sonoma where we deal with loads of high end tourists. Word spreads fast when you have a bad experience and it should. Sad to hear this about Cooper and I hope someone higher up reads it.

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: Manpot] #161077
05/18/2018 01:30 PM
05/18/2018 01:30 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Rudeness and poor service in the restaurants in the BVI has been rampant for the last 30 years.
You can complain but its not going to end anytime soon.
Basic manners and courtesies disappeared in the late eighties

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: sail445] #161082
05/18/2018 02:26 PM
05/18/2018 02:26 PM
Manpot Online crying
Traveler
Manpot  Online Crying
Traveler
Rudeness does not exist at my favorite BVI eateries..and, yes, I have certainly noticed it in some places..and I choose to avoid them and tell guests and friends to do the same..

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #161201
05/20/2018 11:38 AM
05/20/2018 11:38 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline OP
Traveler
warren460  Offline OP
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Let’s not forget that Cooper is still a wonderful place to visit. Great facilities including the deck, rum bar, ice cream parlor and dive shop. Great snorkeling too.

My post was merely trying to inform people about our experience at the dining room for dinner.

Lunch on the deck can be wonderful (I hope it still is).

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #161256
05/21/2018 07:45 AM
05/21/2018 07:45 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Just got a new review from friends who are down there now - They ate both lunch and dinner and had great food both times. Service was friendly - only complaint was that food at dinner took way too long to arrive - 2 hours past seating. Delicious...but took a LONNNNG time.

She did say that the chicken roti at lunch was the best ever.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooper island Beach club restaurant review post Irma [Re: warren460] #161262
05/21/2018 08:44 AM
05/21/2018 08:44 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline OP
Traveler
warren460  Offline OP
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
That’s what we were looking forward to, the best ever roti.

Maybe the regular chef was off the night we were there as the food was just meh.

I expect that they got wind of this thread and hopefully are a little more pleasant.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo