We started our one month snowbird trip with a cruise. That is posted under Afloat

New Smyrna Beach
February 4-11
Nice weather all week in the low to mid 70’s

We arrived in New Smyrna Beach and checked into our tiny unit at the Islander Beach Resort. It was the smallest 1 bedroom unit we’d ever seen. The general space was okay for the 2 of us. There just wasn’t anywhere to put things. The resort itself was nice.

We went to the Museum of Arts and Science in Daytona Beach which we had enjoyed before. They had 2 special exhibitions.

One was paintings, prints, etc. of Florida in many different styles from impressionism to abstract. The other exhibition was of illuminations and religious icons. They were well worth a visit.

We only ate out 2 times. The first restaurant we went to was the New Smyrna Steakhouse. My meal was very good, Paul’s not so good. I had a filet. He had prime rib. In addition to all the usual fat and waste on prime rib, he said it was tough.

We’d had lunch at Norwood’s a couple of years ago and wanted to go for dinner.

We made reservations for Friday night as it has become our tradition to have a very nice dinner the night before we leave.

The food was excellent. The service was extremely pushy. We ordered she crab soup and were told that it might take a little while because it was made to order. That statement puzzled us.

We were asked if it would be okay to bring our salads and bread while we waited. Our drinks, salads and bread all arrived at the same time. The soup came shortly after so it really wasn’t that much of a wait. The waiter had just started pushing us.

Even though there was still a considerable amount of salad on Paul’s plate, the waiter must have asked him 5 times if he was done. It was really annoying.

We both had coconut shrimp for our entrée. There were a dozen large shrimp the platters. I couldn’t finish mine. They were delicious, but again the waiter kept coming back to see if we were done. By then we were really fed up. We are not sure we would go back, not because of the food, but because we hate being pushed that way.

Sue