We have taken bareboat thru the BVI a few times, this trip was our 1st on a CAT thru the Moorings 4600 (2 adults,3 kids 15, 14, 10), 2 other power cats with extended family...DTW-MIA-STT ferry to Road Town, all pretty un-eventful and similar to what we had experienced before. Although, at customs in Road Town, we had a prickly encounter with a female customs agent. I admit I wasn't sure the proper slots to fill out, so I left blank to ask a question, un-acceptable perhaps. Our youngest child was born very premature, he right side hemi-plaegia from cerebral palsy, he's blind in one etc. The process was going longer than we had anticipated and he says to me while we are at the counter, "this is taking so long we have to get out of here". The customs agent said, "you should train him better, step away from the desk until I call you, I want you out of my sight"...friendly!!
Well, we all made it thru finally, we stayed April 4 & 5 at the Mariner Inn, very comfortable, a bit pricey, but in our opinion so worth it. Very clean, great breakfast, staff very friendly & helpful & nice.

We picked up the boat on Friday, April 6. No problem w/chart briefing, boat briefing or check out.
Boat was clean & nice. We had the boat until Sunday April 15, I would suggest that the Moorings either provide a linen/towel exchange or extra towels, things were very ripe by 5th day.

We provisioned thru Moorings, on this site I read a lot of better options, but I was very nervous, based on my uncertainty on how the children would handle everything , how I would get to & from the grocery on Good Friday etc. SO while it was easy to provision with Moorings, it was not so great due to the fact that many items we requested were out of stock (like potato & steak!??!). When we take our next trip, I will provision in a different manner & basically only get breakfast, lunch & snack food. There are so many places to by fruits/veggies (i.e. DELIVERANCE) & so many great places to go ashore to eat (Pussers, SABA rock, Bitter End, Cooper Island Beach CLub). you can do better provisioning on your own (as you have all said)..

We got underway & had great sail across the Chanel to our 1st stop The Bight. It was 4:15 by the time we got there & it was very crowded & VERY NOISY, probably not a good sign. But with 3 boats at that hour, not a good idea to go in search of another place to overnight.
The kids took different members of our party on a dinghy tour. We had an easy dinner, there was some snorkeling, some swimming & beautiful view of full moon rising over Norman Island. Then we all turned in, unfortunately either because I am so old or was not drunk enough the BLASTING MUSIC, THE SCREAMING PARTIERS & the boaters in racing dinghy's (from 11pm-5am) did not make for a very comfortable 1st night.

Everyone was up early, some claiming they didn't sleep until 5am, with all the revelry, but we headed over to the caves for early snorkeling. The kids really liked it. The we hit the Indians, another great spot, it was a joy to see the kids really having fun & appreciating this great trip they were on with so many of our family members.

The debate began on where to moor overnight & my opinion was, "please let's go somewhere quiet". So we were very pleased to end up in Soldier Bay on Norman Island, quiet, beautiful sunset, fun swimming from the boat to the shore of the island, dinner on board...very tranquil.

Sunday April 8: Happy Easter: We had a great sail then 'circumnavigating' Norman Island, saw a lot of turtles, some dolphin & one of the kids said they saw a whale, but no one else did, so not too sure.
We went to Cooper Island for the night, terrific Easter dinner. Again tons of fun swimming, lounging on the beach, etc. The staff at Cooper was very nice & friendly.

Monday after a little sailing, only light wind, we head to Marina Cay. In the past my husband & I had a lot of fun between Marina & Trellis, this time we were very disappointed in the Pussers Store, the restroom/shower facilities (horribly dirty) & the food at Marina Cay (not great). But I needed to do laundry, so it was a good stop. The wind we didn't have all afternoon, doubled down on us over night and the rain didn't quit.
But Tuesday (April 10) morning dawned nice & sunny & very humid. SO we headed for some snorkeling recommended from members on this site...we took the dinghy toward Scrub Island, made a left & went to CAM ISLAND, walked thru the nature preserve (very rocky, very overgrown) to a deserted, rocky beach where everyone snorkeled. It was an exciting adventure, the snorkeling was interesting with a lot of "FAN" coral, but the beach was so rocky there was no place to sit or relax).

We had great wind up to Gorda Sound & a little squall (lots of fun). Moored at Leverick. Group of us went ashore for "arrr pirate show"; good drinks, good eats (appetizers), good shopping at Pussers & grocery. Kids & some others enjoyed the pool at Leverick. Lots of fun. Dinner on board.

Over to Bitter End the next day, Wed, April 11. My desire was to go to Anagada, after so many BVI trips & never making it up there, we thought we'd make it this time. But no one in our group wanted to go, so my husband suggested we contact the Bitter End to see if they had a suggestion. They have a Wednesday excursion, so the 5 of us went off to Anagada. SO, SO, SO Worth it, if I was more technologically gifted I would post pictures. It was beautiful on Anagada & I would say if you have checked it out with your Charter Company & you feel good about your sailing skills, it is a trip you can make on your own boat. I am so glad we got there. Nice dinner that night on Saba Rock with all the families.

Thurs, April 12 we took the Bitter End launch to Gun Creek & to DAS taxi to the Baths. Another wonder to behold thru the eyes of our children. Great day, swimming, climbing, exploring. Lunch & a swim at the top of the Baths. Dinner at the Bitter End Pub (another beautiful sunset).

Friday over to Jost van Dyke, very crowded so we went to Little Jost, lots of fun had by all...

On Saturday, we were prepared for the 30-40* winds & 8 ft seas, so we got an early start to sail around Tortola, thinking we would overnight at Peter Island. We got shut out at Great Harbor, so we had to go to Sprat Bay/Peter Island Resort...now it was very expensive ($65 mooring ball), but it was very protected & even though the day started great we could see the weather mounting & by 2:30 conditions were going down hill. You can't swim in Sprat Bay/Peter Island Resort by the Mooring Balls, the Dock Master came out to tell us that in no uncertain terms, you also have to fill out a lengthy form before you pay for your mooring ball...but did I tell you that by now you could NOT SEE TORTOLA for all the clouds & rain that had descended on us. I would have liked to check out Peter Island Resort more, but the weather never let up. I had fish & steaks marinating all day, so we had a wonderful BBQ, drinks & singing on our boat with all the gang.

The next morning Sunday April 15, rain had stopped but wind & waves WERE UNBELIEVABLE. We could see boats out in the Sir Francis Drake Chanel that looked like toy boats in a bath tub, most not even under sail, but bobbing around like toys.
The winds were blowing 40, with gust even higher, we motored across & let me tell you, the kids thought it was hilarious that I was so frightened. There were times we I truly thought a wave was going to cartwheel us...we made it safely to turn in the boat. Check out was painless.

The Moorings were a pleasure to work with & made our vacation seamless .

We took the Ferry to St. Thomas, we stayed over night at the Marriott's Frenchmens Cove, its a vacation club, but I could get a 2 bedroom condo (?) so we were all together & it was less that what I paid for 2 rooms at the Mariner.
At dinner, the kids asked when were coming back to go on a BVI Sailing Adventure again...

flew out Monday afternoon April 16 after having a wonderful vacation with our family...thanks to all of you for your advice & help along the way...your tips proved most helpful