Day 1 Arrive in STT and wonder why anyone would travel all the way to the USVI to stay on STT more than a few hours. Take taxi to Red Hook via high road past site prep work for the new Home Depot(!!!!) and get on ferry to Cruz Bay. This is our (my wife and I and our now 8 year old daughter) 4th trip to STJ. Arrival day is Jan. 18, but since we got up at about 4:30 AM to catch flight and have the lil darlin in tow we hold little hope for late night full moon antics. Staying at scene of the crime - the villa we first rented 4 years ago which hooked us on STJ. The house sits atop Ajax Peak in central portion of island and is unforgetably wonderful. Since it is almost impossible to reserve less than 10 months or so in advance and will likely not be a rental after next year the name of the place is top secret . We dump our stuff and head into Coral Bay for some dinner. Get rejuvenated by the beauty of the evening and try to get into Miss Lucy's for full moon party at Fris Bay, but the place is mobbed beyond belief and we are hungry. Go to Shipwreck landing along the bay and have a great dinner on the deck watching the moon rise over Coral Bay.<br><br>Day 2 Hang out at the mtn house all morning and go to Sunday brunch at Miss Lucy's. Beautiful day - great view - guitar/sax jazz - good food. Go to Maho Bay for a swim and return to house for a siesta.<br><br>Day 3 Sleep in. Go to Cruz Bay for shopping . Drop off groceries and take drive along north shore. Stop at Hawknest Bay for a swim. Cook dinner on grill and adsorb more mtn-top vibes.<br><br>Day 4 Go to Salt Pond Bay in AM. Only 2 cars at trailhead and when we get to beach there are no boats moored in bay (a 1st, I believe). Swim and snorkel - nice snorkeling along edges of bay and a small patch reef in middle of bay just landward of 1st mooring balls. Hike back past salt pond to Drunk Bay. Rugged shoreline, big breakers and breezy - no people except literally thousands of coral scupltures of people, critters, etc. created on the outcropping volcanic rocks. Added several more creations and found a cozy spot to sit and watch our daughter name a hundred or so of the critters.<br><br>Day 5 Get up and go to Cinammon Bay. Crowds down here too which is nice because this place can be rather scary. We usually head to right as far as you can walk to avoid large crowds and the water toy people. Big breaking waves. Since this is such a uniformly sandy beach we play in waves for hours. Build large sand castle. Against better judgement we hike up America Hill to check out former Plantation House (visible from Maho Bay). House is in a horrible state of disrepair with roof caved in. No one on any trails but us<br><br>Day 6 Big rain clouds and big rain. Still much better than snowing sideways type weather in Michigan. We go to Catherineberg(sp?) ruins. Very well preserved sugar processing ruins which we go see every year. Go into Cruz Bay for lunch (Lime Inn) and more shopping. Go home and cook up some dinner and enjoy the afternoon/evening. Many many rainbows.<br><br>Day 7 Go to Little Lameshur Bay for swim/snorkel. More of road paved since last year - kind of ruins the adventure. Only 2 cars at Lameshur and, again, nothing moored. Water is a little turbid from yesterday but see lots of fish and a turtle. Dinner at Lucy's (seafood Paella is to die for!)<br><br>Day 8 Get on ferry for Tortola (west end) - cab to Road Town - ferry to VG........1st trip to VG. WOW - perhaps another installment. <br><br>We only had 4 days on Virgin Gorda which wasn't near enough, so I guess we just have to go back next year. We found our days on VG to be very much like how we spend time on STJ - check out a different piece of shoreline everyday, a few meals in between, and R&R. Perhaps because we were all ready very relaxed after our week on STJ, but VG seemed even a bit more slower paced than STJ. Seems as thougha bit more true WI flavor is retained on VG than STJ. From a natural beauty perspective I can't hazard a preference. We checked out Savanah Bay, Long Bay, Spring Bay, Baths, Copper Mine (since I'm a geologist this was a hit - honest I didn't take any rocks!!), and Handsome Bay. We didn't even get to north sound - just went up to the top of Gorda Peak once on last day for a view. Thought we'd leave exploring the north end for next time.<br><br>It will take far more research before I can declare a favorite.<br><br>BillyD <br><br><br>

Last edited by Administrator; 02/18/2003 06:19 PM.