Hi all... Just got back last night from 8 nights.. Thanks again to all here during my planning beforehand..<br><br>here goes..<br><br>BACKGROUND---<br><br>in 1978, I was 18 years old and was included in a 7 night trip with my father to the BVI. We Chartered from the now defunct CSY, a 44' cutter.. I fell in love.. He took me with him again in 1980 for 10 days.. He bought a 43' ketch and had it with TMM out of Nanny Cay in 1982 and I spent 21 days with him in January of 1983.. In 1985, Dad lent me "the keys to the boat" and I spent 14 days with 3 of my buddies. (That was a very "fun" trip).. <br><br>During the 1983 trip, while in CGB, on a Saturday, A large number of locals were walking by. They were dressed in their Sunday bests and laughing having a great time. Seemed to be a party or something. We asked someone what was going on (we figured a wedding)... We were told it was a funeral...<br><br>In the BVI, death is a reason for celebration (in a way).. To celebrate making it to heaven.. Many of you I'm sure know of how religious the people there are.. <br><br>Later that night my father was saying how, when the time came, he wanted us to celebrate his death. Not to be sad, but to celebrate his life, and to have a party for him....... <br><br>He sold his boat in 1987.. I wife had my 1st child in 1989.. and another in 1993..<br><br>My father passed away 10 years ago Feb 1993... When I spoke at his funeral.. I mentioned the CGB incident, and invited all there to help drink the 2 cases of champagne we had bought... and to celebrate...<br><br>I loved the BVI "SO MUCH" and feel an emotional attachment to the area.<br><br>----------<br><br>ANTICIPATION------<br><br>It had been 17 years since I had been back to my favorite place on Earth.. I wondered how much would be different, what would be "ruined" and such.. Outside of a daysail in St. Lucia in 1997, I hadn't been sailing in the Ocean at all (I live in Colorado). I had some plans to do something regarding my father, but didn't have anything really rehearsed..<br><br>In packing for the trip I found a shirt that my father had given me 20 years ago with his boats name "La Columbine". A "crew shirt".. I packed it..<br><br>---------------------<br><br>CREW---<br><br>I was traveling with my wife and 2 boys (10-13).. all their first trip...<br><br>-----------------<br><br>OBSERVATIONS----<br><br>The BVI is alive and well.. There are ALOT more boats now than there were before.. ALOT!!! more.. an example is at the bight, on the north side in that little cove.. That used to be a "ONE BOAT" anchorage.. If there was a boat there.. It was "TAKEN"!!!.. Now there are 5 moorings there!! WOW!!!.. I couldn't BELIEVE how many boats there were at the bight.. Somehow though, It didn't bother me..<br><br>North Sound--- What's that on Saba Rock!!! lol... I liked the new North Sound.. Leverick was awesome... <br><br>Guana--- Still the same... my favorite island<br><br>Jost Van Dyke--- What CGB used to be.. Very quaint... Very personal.. The people..esp. the children touched me personally...<br><br>Cooper--- Didn't go... heard it fills up too quick.. next time *maybe*<br><br>Trellis/Marina Cay--- Didn't go there either (priorities)<br><br>Peter--- Great Harbor 1st night. Loved it, no difference...<br><br>CGB--- Where do I start (sigh).. I arrived Thursday at around noon.. OH-MY-GOD!!! I thought I was going to cry.. My favorite bay in my favorite part of the world has been RUINED!!!... ( my first time there was Stanleys, that's IT!)<br>Then came Rhymers in 1980.. it was still so cool... In 85 Rhymers had a pig roast on Thanksgiving.. (sigh) anyway, when I saw what I estimated to be 300-400 people covering the beach I wondered if I was at CONEY-FRIGGIN-ISLAND.. It's a JOKE!!!... then 3:30-4:00 the "whales" left (don't read this cruiser) and life seemed a little closer to normal but, it's not the same.. not at all.. <br><br>I still love CGB, in a different way now.... The beach is still great for swimming... Friday was a no cruise ship day so we enjoyed that very much.....<br><br>-------------<br><br>REFLECTIONS----- I knew I loved the BVI and Sailing there, but I had forgotten how much I loved it.. I was overwhelmed with happiness the whole time (minus a short stint at CGB) The memories of past trips with my Father would rush through me from time to time, day to day... All good...<br><br>I hung up the "La Columbine" shirt at Sydney's Peace and Love.. It now hangs right next to the closest pole to the kitchen with the following written on it.. "In memory of Mike Thiret 1925-1993 from his family, the crew of the Tarentela, who miss his very much. Without him, we never would have found the 'BVI baby' "<br><br>He alway used to say he was heading to the "BVI baby".. Anyway that was tearful...<br><br>On Friday (Valentines Day) at CGB.... and my wedding aniversery... I assembled my crew on the rear of the boat about a minute before sunset with a freshly opened bottle of "Dom" (yes my kids each had a little champagne in their glass).. With the setting sun behind me, I told the story of the funeral at CGB in 1980, and how death is a part of life, and to celebate it all. And we lifted our glasses to my father as the tears flowed.. I also told my kids to promose me that someday, After I die, that they will come back with their kids, And celebrate my life.. After the sips, my older son, as he wiped his tears, said "Wow Dad, that was like the friggin Lion King" (I guess right as I finished, the sun disappeared behind St. Thomas)... It's amazing how a little tear can cleanse the soul...<br><br>IN CONCLUSION------<br><br>TMM is great!!!! I love thier service... Bobby's AND Ample Hamper very both prompt and perfect... <br><br>Everytime I leave the BVI, I kinda ask myself if I'll ever be back.. I never want to think as I leave that it will be my last trip there... somehow I know.. This wasn't my last.....<br><br>GaryT

Gary T